Author Topic: Spad XVI 1/72 kit bash  (Read 2339 times)

Offline stevehed

Spad XVI 1/72 kit bash
« on: August 16, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »
As we’ve been having a bit of a Spad fest on the Information and Questions section I thought I’d try to keep the party going here too. This is another build that was inspired by Munson’s pocket dictionaries. The Spad XI is illustrated but it looks so like a stretched XIII that it had to be attempted. Not so long ago I realized that I had no French aircraft on the shelves. Not that there were ever many, only an Airfix Spad VII and a Revell Nieuport 17, both which had undergone a recent refurbishment and been transferred to the Russian air fleet. So I decided to start afresh and create some Entente Cordiale and the Spad XVI was part of the process. The XVI is the XI’s more successful younger brother and I think Billy Mitchell’s aircraft is on display in the US.

http://airfixtributeforum.myfastforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=38123

Regards, Steve

Offline RAGIII

Re: Spad XVI 1/72 kit bash
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »
Your kitbashing abilities are amazing! The results are that you have a lot of unique models not usually seen in an average WW1 collection. Thanks again for sharing your work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2016, 08:25:26 PM »
Your kitbashing abilities are amazing! The results are that you have a lot of unique models not usually seen in an average WW1 collection. Thanks again for sharing your work!
RAGIII
I agree totally with what Rick has said, your work is amazing.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 12:09:11 AM »
Nice job! I do like the SPAD 2 seaters and since there is a dearth of kits, I may just have to do something similar in the future.....

Ian

Offline stevehed

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 01:03:37 AM »
Thanks Guys, I'm deeply appreciative of your comments. I think kit bashing and its cousin, scratch building, can become addictive if not carefully interspersed with OOB from time to time. Be careful Ian or you may end up forever poring through your stash seeking that something else that may be lurking within. ;)

Regards, Steve

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 02:23:58 AM »
RAGIII
I agree wholeheartedly with my Amigo, Steve!  Your stuff blows me away!  Would you mind telling us about the process in doing this kit bash?  I'd like to do a SPAD XVI in 1/48 scale someday.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 04:14:31 AM »
Warning to all: Steve's warning about conversions/scratch builds is so true…… as I know from personal experience!!

Steve that is another of your wonderful conversions - again of a less known type and one completely missed by kit manufacturers.

Stephen.

Offline stevehed

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 08:02:04 AM »
Thanks Bud and Steve, one of my favourites. There's a link to the build thread HTH

Regards, Steve

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2016, 09:25:01 AM »
Steve, you know what's funny?  I got a hold of the Munson book when I was a kid, and did my own kitbash with my Revell XIII. Of course, it was nowhere near worthy of showing off, but when you're eleven years old, it's pretty neat.

Great kitbash!

Warren

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2016, 09:27:48 AM »
Thanks Bud and Steve, one of my favourites. There's a link to the build thread HTH

Regards, Steve
:-[ Oops.  Sorry I missed it, Steve.  Very cool.  I'm inspired.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 01:46:07 PM »
 Steve,
Outstanding kitbash my old friend. Keep 'em coming!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"