Author Topic: Soon comes the Ninak  (Read 1344 times)

Offline treadhead1944

Soon comes the Ninak
« on: May 07, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
I have ordered the Dh9a from Wnw as my next build. Having learned my lesson from my Hisso I will be using stretched sprue for the cables in the 'pit. Which brings me to my question... under the instrument panel in the wiring diagram there is a wire that appears to go from the center of the panel to the right side of the fuselage. Neither attachment point is clear in the diagram. Is this on both sides? Is it the rudder cables? I am ordering both data files Friday, as I believe that there is no such thing as too much information, but I don't know how detailed they get. Des, I have spent a good 2 hours going over your build log. I cannot say enough how beautiful it is, but I didn't see the cable in your photos.

Thanks all. I can't wait to show you all the build, which will start as soon as I finish my Se5

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: Soon comes the Ninak
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 10:28:34 PM »
That wire may be cross-bracing from the left to right side-frame.  In WnW's
cockpit rigging diagram, it looks like there is the same arrangement at the
rear of the assembly.  Or maybe it's tired eyes playing tricks on me. ;) ;D
  Maybe someone with more knowledge of the Ninak can shed more light on it.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline treadhead1944

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 11:16:58 AM »
That was kind of my thought as well, but I want to make sure. Thanks Ernie!

mike in calif

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 12:27:05 AM »
There are some "X" bracing wires in the fuse at different points. I used a straightedge to try to follow all the action. Also be aware that there are some post war parts in the kit IE: bomb racks, so check parts against photos to see which is which. The 'pit frame is a very close tolerance fit so watch frame rigging, so fuse closes up nicely.

Offline treadhead1944

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 03:32:42 AM »
There are some "X" bracing wires in the fuse at different points. I used a straightedge to try to follow all the action. Also be aware that there are some post war parts in the kit IE: bomb racks, so check parts against photos to see which is which. The 'pit frame is a very close tolerance fit so watch frame rigging, so fuse closes up nicely.

Mike, what about the bomb racks? Can they be corrected, or should they be replaced? Would the HGW detail set be correct?

mike in calif

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 05:44:45 AM »
The base kit provides both types,(of bomb racks) and I noticed that the rails on the post war type were different proportions than the wartime versions. I think I used D35 parts for my USMC version. Both types are correct, just the year used application varies. I have the PE bits, and they do look nice when done; the center rack may want PE, the rest is mostly hidden. Thin the fins, and add braces from .010 rod; the PE props look good on the wee bombs.
 I used a lot of Gaspatch parts for my kit as well. I rigged the upper wing with pairs of lines, and taped then up; when ready, I removed the tape, and pulled down each set as it was time to rig, from the inside out. I also pre-drilled the holes with a #78 bit, at as close to an angle as I could to bring the turnbuckles in line with the runs. Again, I used a straightedge to double check all the runs just to be sure in my own mind.