Author Topic: Christiansen's W.12, WNW with Pheon and Aviattic decals  (Read 9940 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Christiansen's W.12, WNW with Pheon and Aviattic decals
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »
looks great bud, i got one of these too from a while back and i plan on building her someday

Offline gbrivio

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 04:08:33 PM »
Very nice work on the cockpit, clever trick with shaving cream.
Giuseppe

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2016, 08:22:27 PM »
Nice start Bud and a nice tip on the shaving foam  ;) Being bearded I have no use for it though so will have to look to getting some  :D.

Lance - have you tried 'Marmite' or 'Vegemite' - as a mask that is - that works well too. Nice on toast too of course :)

Tug

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 11:31:20 PM »
Nice start Bud and a nice tip on the shaving foam  ;) Being bearded I have no use for it though so will have to look to getting some  :D.

Lance - have you tried 'Marmite' or 'Vegemite' - as a mask that is - that works well too. Nice on toast too of course :)

Tug

Tug,   
    I have acquired a taste for many things from the UK over the years; nothing beats a cool pint of good brown Ale, I still drool every time I recall the Fish & Chips bought after a session in a Local in Derry many years back when it was wrapped in newspaper (is it still?), the "pasties" in Wales and I could go on and on, but Marmite makes me shudder, and I'll stick to hairspray and salt thanks! I never could understand what the attraction is but, like a good Single Malt Whiskey, it must be an acquired taste!
Cheers!
Lance

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 02:04:32 PM »
I don't use shaving cream.i do old-school wet shaving with shaving soap in a mug with a brush and hot water then drag a german made merkur de razor. So I would have to buy shave cream. Lol

Offline Borsos

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2016, 12:31:16 AM »
I missed that until now. What a shame, because this is wonderful! Shaving cream is a very cool idea for achieving weathering effects, I'll have to try this out, too. Although I am not the biggest fan of sea planes, the more I look on this HB W. 12, the more I like it...
Best wishes
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 02:22:07 PM »
funny one justin, i just shave old style because i get a much closer shave at a fraction of the cost. compare the cartridge prices to even top of the line "feather" japanese double beveled d.e. razor blades and its a no brainer.shaving cost me virtually nothing now for better results.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 05:10:50 AM »
Thanks for all the kind comments and support (and alternative masking tips), my friends!  This project was once again stalled, this time due to my own stupidity.  I'm using the Aviattic Naval Hex decals and, as we all now know, they don't snuggle down over the float detail without the use of heat.  Consequently, I used heat from a heat gun on low setting and managed to successfully apply the decal to one float, then moved on to the next whereupon, I buggered it beyond redemption by holding the gun still for too long.  Here's the result.  For those of you with a weak stomach, you may want to avert your eyes.

I emailed Dave and copped to the fact that through my own idiocy, I rendered one of the float tops unusable and would he please sell me a replacement sprue.  Gentleman that he is, he found one and sent it out to me from NZ.  Just got it last week, so I'll be back on this one soon.  Still figuring out the Grigorovich.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 05:40:00 AM »
    Good grief Bud, I sure feel your pain! I've never used the "heat treatment" on decals for fear of the very same results, now I'm even less likely to do it! I've started mine however have shifted my attention to the Ni 17 I had commenced earlier, shouldn't be long before I get back on it again. Good on Dave and Wingnut Wings for saving your bacon, I'm impressed, and pleased for you! :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Kreston

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 05:53:12 AM »
I've had success using a hair dryer on low setting and holding it about a foot away.
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 06:07:37 AM »
Lance and Kreston, I think my problem is that I don't have a hair dryer and went with what I had on hand:  That nasty heat gun, used for stripping paint and such.  I'll be buying a hair dryer before I try this again.  Yes, WNW customer service is the best.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Borsos

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 08:01:33 AM »
Oh my god ... Bud, you cannot show pics like these here ... there could be children around!
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 12:05:14 PM »
The decals did really snuggle down to the float  :-X  Glad WNW helped you out Amigo! Looking forward to seeing the replacement after you acquire a proper hair dryer! They do work well with Pheon and Aviattic decals  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2016, 06:29:27 AM »
[
I emailed Dave and copped to the fact that through my own idiocy, I rendered one of the float tops unusable and would he please sell me a replacement sprue.  Gentleman that he is, he found one and sent it out to me from NZ.  Just got it last week, so I'll be back on this one soon.  Still figuring out the Grigorovich.
Cheers,
Bud
[/quote]

Honesty, always the best policy, have had a similar (but not so tragic occurrence- just a decal) where I asked to buy the replacement  from FLY Models and they sent it gratis also.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2016, 08:23:40 AM »
When they suggest you use heat to set the decals I don't think this is quite what they meant, man, what a shame but luckily Dave has come to the rescue.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com