Author Topic: Fantastic service from Revell.  (Read 1436 times)

Online macsporran

Fantastic service from Revell.
« on: February 11, 2017, 01:58:39 AM »
I'm sidetracked on building 1930s cars at the moment and managed to pick up a few old Monogram classics from a pal in my club. Amongst this were three - a Cord, a Cadillac and a Bugatti - all jumbled up in one box, without instructions.
The body parts were pretty obvious but the detached black and chrome engine parts were a bit of a monkey's puzzle, so I took to the net to try to find some help.
These kits are old 1960s releases and none of the usual sites could help, so I thought I'd drop an email to Revell both in Germany and US.

To my delight an extremely helpful chap called Ed Sexton in Illinois got back to me asking for more detail of what I needed. I explained that a scan would be fine, if possible, as I wanted to build the kits rather than stash them but he said his scanner was giving problems. He'd look around and see if he could help.

To my great astonishment and joy, an airmail letter arrived in Scotland this morning containing original plans for all three kits!!!!

I've thanked Ed profusely, but I just have to record here the excellence of this customer care - finding me instructions for three kits over 50 years old from the Monogram subsidiary they bought years ago.

I can only praise Revell - and go out and buy some more of their kits in appreciation!!!!
Sandy
(No connection apart from being a very satisfied customer.)

Offline Cimmerian

Re: Fantastic service from Revell.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
That is great service.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 08:01:27 PM »
It is always great to hear positive feedback.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »
A fantastic Revell experience from so long ago....

It's the very early 1960s in New Zealand a land then poorly served with model shops ( there were none). Revell had issued a 1/72 scale Boeing B17 Flying Fortress kit and this 10 year old just had to have it. Trouble is none of the toy shops in Dunedin stocked it or much else in the models line and even if they did I couldn't afford to pay the outrageous prices NZ shops were charging ( and still do)..

So I devised this brilliant scheme and wrote to Revell in Britain asking if I could buy a B17 from them and could I pay with postal notes from our local post office ( the 1960s sucked at technology.) Off goes my letter and then I wait.... a  few months go by ( all mail was surface only unless you were rich and could afford airmail).

So I get home from school one day and there's a package waiting for me. Receiving a package in the mail was unheard of, especially one postmarked Britain!

Inside is a letter from Revell (GB) Ltd. They said they were very sorry they could not sell me a B17 kit as they were not permitted to direct sell their products.

However please accept with our compliments this B17 model kit as a gift from Revell !

Almost 60 years later I still think of Revell with the most positive and supportive thoughts possible and their kindness meant that over the decades I bought ( and still buy) Revell kits. I know the owners have changed and the UK base closed but their kindness guaranteed decades of brand loyalty.

Dasve Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com