Author Topic: WNW Albatros for local IPMS club 'Build Same Kit' competition  (Read 7617 times)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
Re: WNW Albatros for local IPMS club 'Build Same Kit' competition
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
I have discussed the engine access hatch issue with Wingnut Wings and Richard Alexander commented that the placement of the hatch varies between the 160hp engined Albatros and the 180hp engined Albatros

"The kit's draincock cover/hatch was modelled in the correct position for the majority of the kit decal schemes, which are 160hp Daimler-Mercedes D.III powered Albatros D.V.

The draincock on the 180hp D.IIIa engine, which powered almost all Albatros D.Va, is further forward."

. . . which just goes to show how much research WNW do. When the deluxe version of the kit comes out I expect there will be PE hatch covers which can be attached in either position.
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2012, 10:08:16 PM »
James,

Just a thank you for your thorough research and supporting comments. Good stuff.  :)

Paddy 
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2012, 01:08:29 AM »
James,

Just a thank you for your thorough research and supporting comments. Good stuff.  :)

Paddy
I'd like to second that, James.  You're our go-to guy for detailed reference photos.
Cheer,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2012, 03:21:09 AM »
Yes I noticed a long time back about the access panel under the nose, it sits under the oil pump housing beneath the engine, the rear most panel is for the fuel tank drain offs..  All the research I've done shows it in this location, the basic engine casing never changed and the oil pump was always in the same location I believe.

shows its position internally

Externally (both on a stalled strip down DVa I have sitting on the side.)

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo