Author Topic: Kette of Dr1's  (Read 8539 times)

Offline DaddyO

Re: Kette of Dr1's
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2023, 02:14:14 AM »
Four tails top and bottom. Not perfect, but not bad and better than I could have done freehand :P :) Little bit of touching up to do here and there still . . . .
I also  need to add the 'streaky camouflage' to the middle bit on the tops.

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline NigelR

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2023, 07:30:14 PM »
Good problem solving, they look good!

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2023, 03:20:43 AM »
Good problem solving, they look good!

Thanks Nigel

Slight hiccup in the decals on these.
Looking at the photo's of Jasta 19 lineups the crosses are thicker with broader outlines than the Pheon decals. Unless they were altered later in the year the appearance is distinctly different. Mildly annoying since I'd applied all the rudder crosses before I checked  :'(. Rummaging through various spares I can find suitable replacement tail crosses with the wider stroke. Upper wing ones are trickier. I've got one set of Eduard ones which look correct and a couple of Eduard sets with the cross supplied without the outline so it might call for some nifty hand cutting . . . .

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2023, 03:24:32 AM »
Here's the Pheon markings

Offline Davos522

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2023, 03:46:25 AM »
Great job on these, Paul, looking forward to seeing them all sitting on the grass together.

One of the advantages of 1:72 is being able to build in series, like your Tripehounds and Stephen's 1911 Gordon Bennett collection. I gave all my smaller-scale kits to my son Curt, except for my collection of 1:72 interwar RAF/FAA aircraft, which I hung onto thinking, well, maybe someday...

Dutch

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2023, 09:39:51 AM »
What a clever solution Paul, I'm so glad it paid off for you!

One of the advantages of 1:72 is being able to build in series, like your Tripehounds and Stephen's 1911 Gordon Bennett collection.
Some, like myself, have a series planned in 1/48 but this is generally the much cheaper and space-friendly alternative!! I enjoy seeing one-person group builds like this.
Zac in NZ

Offline Tim Mixon

• Main focus is 1/72 WWI
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2023, 10:05:45 AM »
Your project is looking really nice Paul. I see dilemma with the national markings.  Do you need the wing crosses as well?

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2023, 06:55:46 PM »
Great job on these, Paul, looking forward to seeing them all sitting on the grass together.

One of the advantages of 1:72 is being able to build in series, like your Tripehounds and Stephen's 1911 Gordon Bennett collection. I gave all my smaller-scale kits to my son Curt, except for my collection of 1:72 interwar RAF/FAA aircraft, which I hung onto thinking, well, maybe someday...

Dutch

Me too Dutch  ;D
As you say one advantage of the smaller scale is the opportunity to create a little scene like this one :)

What a clever solution Paul, I'm so glad it paid off for you!

One of the advantages of 1:72 is being able to build in series, like your Tripehounds and Stephen's 1911 Gordon Bennett collection.
Some, like myself, have a series planned in 1/48 but this is generally the much cheaper and space-friendly alternative!! I enjoy seeing one-person group builds like this.

Cheers Kiwi - My dad always used to say that progress is made by lazy men looking for easier ways of doing things  ;)

Your project is looking really nice Paul. I see dilemma with the national markings.  Do you need the wing crosses as well?

Hiya Tim
Mildly annoying dilemma, but I feel they need to be changed so I added another cost of varnish to the rudders last night and I'll try popping the thicker crosses over the top of the existing ones (If it looks awful I can always sand off and repaint)
Finding enough suitable wing crosses in the spares box is trickier because of the number of models, but I think I've found and old blue rider set with enough on it for three and I have a couple of spare from Eduard if needed. 8)

Started to add the streaking in the meantime and I'll post a pic later once everything has been done

Cheers
Paul

Offline NigelR

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2023, 07:15:03 PM »
Slight hiccup in the decals on these.
Looking at the photo's of Jasta 19 lineups the crosses are thicker with broader outlines than the Pheon decals. Unless they were altered later in the year the appearance is distinctly different. Mildly annoying since I'd applied all the rudder crosses before I checked  :'(. Rummaging through various spares I can find suitable replacement tail crosses with the wider stroke. Upper wing ones are trickier. I've got one set of Eduard ones which look correct and a couple of Eduard sets with the cross supplied without the outline so it might call for some nifty hand cutting . . . .
I think you 'll be fine with overlaying the rudder decals, just give the rudders a stroke with fine grade sanding sticks to ensure there are no edges standing proud.

I will check my decal stash to see if I have any 1/72 decals left, but I think I gave you all I had at the Yeovil show.

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2023, 11:17:27 PM »
Cheers Nigel.  :)
Glad to say the rudders are now all done and dusted with new crosses in place over the top of the existing skinny versions (Best to use were some of the new Eduard decals with the peel off varnish)

Started adding decals to the fuselages, but keep looking at the streaking which is a bit dark under the varnish coats.  :-\

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2023, 11:19:06 PM »
All three fuselages with the pattee cross decals added ready to be covered over

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2023, 11:24:58 PM »
Kept looking at the finished wings (with over-painted crosses and varnish coats) and comparing to photo's and decided they have dried noticeably darker overall without as much contrast as I'd like  :P

So I took a deep breath and broke out the paints again  :o (I hate repeating a task that I thought was done and ready for the next stage, but just couldn't bring myself to leave them as they were)

Here's the result of this mornings painting session (I've actually repainted all three sets of wings) . . .

I intend to let them dry, touch up where needed and varnish then try them against the fuselages to see if I need to tweak them as well ::)

Paul

Offline Davos522

« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2023, 02:01:22 AM »
That's dedication, Paul, and I suspect most of us know the feeling well... but your results are spectacular. Really enjoying following this thread, and looking forward eagerly to seeing all these little gems completed.

Dutch

Offline NigelR

« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2023, 07:34:11 PM »
Looking really good Paul, excellent progress.

Sadly I didn't have any spare decals left that would be of any help here.

Offline DaddyO

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2023, 08:09:07 PM »
That's dedication, Paul, and I suspect most of us know the feeling well... but your results are spectacular. Really enjoying following this thread, and looking forward eagerly to seeing all these little gems completed.

Dutch

Cheers Dutch, glad you approve (I reckon another 3 or 4 models and I'll be happy with the technique) ;D

Looking really good Paul, excellent progress.

Sadly I didn't have any spare decals left that would be of any help here.

Thanks Nigel. No worries about the decals I think I've got it covered

Paul