Author Topic: Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Flashback/Toko 1/72nd scale,43 squadron RFC. Revell DR1  (Read 6978 times)

Offline RAGIII

I have previously mentioned that I had a "Wild Hair" to do some 1/72nd 2 seaters. Having acquired the Toko and Flashback Strutter I figured I would go ahead and try out My skills! I have been forewarned that the Toko kit is pretty bad so this may end up being just the Flashback kit...or considering How TINY the kits are they may Never reach completion. I will give it My Best!
RAGIII

PS: I have actually started a bit of cleaning up and construction. More later.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:30:07 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RichieW

Awesome project, always good to move out of your comfort zone. I find it the best way to move forward in any field of endeavour. Will follow this closely.

Richie

Offline RAGIII

Awesome project, always good to move out of your comfort zone. I find it the best way to move forward in any field of endeavour. Will follow this closely.

Richie
Thanks Richie. I appreciate your encouragement . To show Just HOW small this is compared to what I have been working on for the last 10 or 11 years! That being said, I think the last 1/72nd WW1 aircraft I worked on was probably more like 40+ years ago  :o

RAGIII

PS: This will be OOB No Frills builds!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 09:55:53 PM by RAGIII »

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Following along on this one Rick , hoping the smaller scale won't be too much of a challenge . Last 72 scale I build was back in the Aeroscale days ..close to 20 nows and I don't think I would be able to pull it off anymore in the smaller scale .

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
That's really an interesting challenge to follow...
I suppose I already know the result, but am curious to watch you on a 72 kit!

Antonio

Offline DaveB

Great, Rick!

You really are being productive on the model building front recently - good luck on this one.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point!

Offline Flute

I wasn't really aware of problems with the Toko Strutters when I built them, but it was a long time ago. The main thing I remember was the need to brace the fuselage halves apart at the top so the top decking would line up, and that the W struts didn't really want to align, a common enough problem with many kits. You don't get the amount of detail that's in the Flashback kit, but then again they cost a lot less too. Decals, though, were always a problem with Toko, and I don't suppose they've improved with age.

Paul.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
Well, this scale will be something different for you.
I'm sure you will do it justice!

Offline RichieW

That is a huge difference in size but I'm backing you to pull a rabbit out of the hat here Rick!

I had a look inside my 1/72 KP  Sopwith Triplane box last week. I quickly put it all back and had nightmares for days! :)

Offline hrcoleman66

It will be very intersting to compare these two kits.

I didn't even know Flashback did a strutter!  And the older Toko (Pre Roden) Kits left a bit to be desired if I recall.

Looking forward to following along.

Cheers,

Hugh

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out - I built one a while back, the flashback kit is excellent. 1/72 isn't that scary :)

Cheers,

BC

mbittner

Here's mine, what I consider one of my best WWI builds.

Offline RAGIII

Thanks Guys and Dal! I will do My best  ::) Brad, Your strutter is gorgeous as always!.
Matt, I wish I could see yours but No photo is visible on either of My Browsers  :(
RAGIII

Offline dr 1 ace

Truely a "Wild hair" to build something in the noseeum scale. I'm sure you'll do your usual good work.

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline lone modeller

Good to read that you have at last recognised the superiority of God's Own Scale Rick! You will quickly find that it is no more difficult than the over-large scale that you are more used to - less detail because generally it cannot be seen. The other major advantage is that you get more models in the same display space!!

A little gem is in the making here - just keep at it and apply your usual magic and we can then all celebrate your success.

Stephen.