Author Topic: 1:32 Amodel Nieuport 16c  (Read 12121 times)

Offline Davos522

Re: 1:32 Amodel Nieuport 16c
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2023, 11:06:28 PM »
Willem, I wish I knew more Dutch, but I really only know a few words... everyone I met in Holland spoke better English than I do, so I hardly got to use what little I know. One of my fondest wishes is to be able to learn to pronounce "Scheveningen" correctly someday. I managed to get it right one night in a bar in Amsterdam, but that was because of the Amstel and I haven't been able to repeat it since...

Up to seven props now, the Amodel kit prop is at the top, and my latest work-in-progress is at the bottom. The latter is only rough-shaped now, the hub is oversize as well as the big squared-off paddle-shaped blades, which I'll refine by more sanding. But I think I may be able to turn out a usable prop pretty soon. I have to get my drill-press running so I can work on drilling out the hub... not sure what I'm going to do about the hub plate, I'd like to order one of the correct French versions from Proper Planes but am hesitant about having to wait until next February for it.

Dave V.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2023, 12:38:07 AM »
Dave,
    I have had reasonable success by cutting the hub from the Kit prop with a standard hobby "razor" saw and then sanding it down to the desired thickness and carefully drilling out the lightening holes already molded on it. There used to be Photo Etched after market products available but I like this little resource for the purpose as the bolt heads are already on the Kit version. Below the results on a Wingnut Wings LVG C.VI.

Cheers,
Lance

Offline Davos522

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2023, 01:22:46 AM »
Thanks, Lance, that's an idea I hadn't thought of. I actually tried casting the hub off a thirty year old Hobbycraft N.17 my son built back in the day, and which has now gone into the spares box. It was actually quite well-done, but the finish on my copies was too rough and I abandoned that idea. But in case he ever decides to rebuild it I don't want to cut the hub off... unfortunately those on the Amodel props are unusable, the detail is rudimentary and in addition the one on their Levasseur is marred by a sink-mark in the exact center. I emailed Alexey this morning to see whether the French hubs are something that he has in stock at Proper Planes, since I'm also going to need turnbuckles also.

And those LVG props are stunning! If mine comes out half as good I'll be a happy cat.

D.V.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2023, 12:17:12 AM »
Back from a weekend in the wilds of Maine, and picking up on the Nieuport project. I'd thought about trying to scratchbuild one of the hideously complicated French prop hubs, but after a couple of abortive attempts I realized it was beyond my skillset and decided to order one from Alex at Proper Plane in Kiev, along with a couple of sets of turnbuckles.

I was also able to work a bit on my profile, which I'm doing to figure out the color scheme. It's mostly at the grayscale pencil stage at the moment, needs a lot of research and even more work :-P

Onward, through night and fog...

Dave V.

Offline RichieW

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2023, 01:33:32 AM »
Dave this is some incredibly thorough work and you seem to be having great fun doing it too. Your prop carving is excellent and I would have been more than happy with the second one from the bottom. Your next, I feel confident, will be absolutely perfect.

Using the aftermarket prop boss is a good choice. The proper plane ones are excellent and having spent far too much of my life scratching one in 1/32 I can honestly say it was more work than it was worth. Especially as the alignment is far from perfect!

Richie

Offline Davos522

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2023, 02:07:37 AM »
Thanks, Richie, I like to scratchbuild things when I can, but fabricating 5-6mm turnbuckles and hub plates is a bit much!

I'm loving your BE, and Project White Bird is an absolutely thrilling idea!

DV

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2023, 03:28:38 AM »
Your props are improving with each new version although like Richie I would accept a few of them  8) I think going with Proper Plane Hubs and buckles is a good decision!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2023, 07:05:16 AM »
I have just read through this thread. Wow, if you are going to be so meticulous on the rest of this build as much as you are on the propeller, it will be a marvel. Anyway, I will be watching it with great interest.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2023, 03:28:06 PM by PrzemoL »
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2023, 11:41:19 AM »
Thanks, Rick, in addition to avoiding a potentially project-killing nightmare, I decided the better part of valor was to just buy 'em. And besides, Alex seems like a nice guy, and it's nice to feel like I'm supporting the hobby... especially given the current conditions in Kyiv.

Prez, mae govannen, mellon. As I said before, if my effort is 33% as beautiful as the work you folks do, I'll feel like I really accomplished something.

Dave V.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2023, 12:23:24 AM »
More work on the props, the upper one is the one I'm using to develop a finish that approximates the pigmented shellac (still too red, working on the color), while the bottom represents my best attempt to date at capturing those sexy Levasseur curves. The bottom prop isn't tinted yet; before applying the copal varnish I'm filling the grain in the mahogany with the old woodworker's trick of applying a drying oil (Watco Danish, in this case) with 500-grit sanding film. The extremely fine wood-dust gets incorporated into the oil, and after it dries you repeat the process as many times as necessary to fill up the open grain and leave a smooth surface for the varnish.

I'm also working on the profile, and looking for photos of the Esc. N.37 chasseur I plan on building on the website of the Musée de l'Armée Invalides in Paris. Having only seen it in black and white it's tremendous fun to see what the little bird might have looked like 107 years ago... the colors and camouflage pattern are strictly provisional at the moment, much research still to do on that front.

DV

Offline Borsos

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2023, 01:52:16 AM »
Looking good so far! But if you get so deep into propeller wood colors, one of the even more crucial question should be: Are you a two tone or a four tone camouflage guy?  :D

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2023, 04:26:57 AM »
Ha! I'll not fall into that trap, Andreas! :-D It's really way too early in my project to have any kind of definite opinion... I've been reading Xan's thread on 2-3-4 color camouflage schemes on the 1914.forumactif.com and at the moment, after adjusting the light levels and studying this photo of 986 (the Esc. N.37 aircraft I'm building), it SEEMS to show at least three colors:

Asthetically I'd like three colors, since it appeals to me as an artist. I loved your build of 871 on the French forum for that very reason, what a gorgeous model! I wish I could get a copy of the Klaeylé/Chassard book and see if it has anything about the series "my" a/c is in.

Long way to go before I have to worry about paint, though!

Dave V.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2023, 09:29:20 PM »
I would tend to agree about "At Least" three colors  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Borsos

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2023, 11:43:02 PM »
I would tend to agree about "At Least" three colors  8)
RAGIII

I‘m in here!

I've been reading Xan's thread on 2-3-4 color camouflage schemes on the 1914.forumactif.com

Then you‘re well informed. I have the book and can look for 986, if you like!

Andreas
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Davos522

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2023, 02:20:39 AM »
Thanks, Rick! I know it's a subject that causes a lot of debate, and in the end you have to inform yourself about the different options and go with the one you feel is most likely.. or at least looks right.

And yes, please, Andreas. That would be very helpful. Everything is guesswork at this point RE: the colors. I'm thinking the undersides were clear-doped, or light blue, and the outline tapes on wings and horizontal stab/elevators were bleu horizon... but as I said, my research on colors is going to be yet another sub-project of its own.

I see there was a thread some years ago where Xan weighed in on colors, but when I tried to access it I got an error message saying it had been deleted.

DV