Author Topic: Aviattic 1/32 Pfalz D.VIII  (Read 769 times)

Offline Umlaufmotor

Re: Aviattic 1/32 Pfalz D.VIII
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2024, 10:04:54 PM »

Hello Gary,

regarding the length and width of the leader's banners, I believe that I have read that they were normally around 5 - 8cm wide and 2.5 to max. 3 meters long.
Usually the banners were painted in the colors of the flag of the German Empire.
Starting with approx. 80-100cm black, then 80-100cm white and finally 80-100cm red.
Made from canvas, the corners and edges were sewn all around.
The colors used did not really matter, the only important thing was that the leader was visually recognizable in the air in the mass of aircraft - the banner was of course clearly recognizable - the colors probably less so.

Servus
Bertl

...... Ah, almost forgot - thanks for the info about the “silver gray”  ;)

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Thanks for that Bertl - much appreciated. Here's what I did with your info. Luckily I'm still typing up my article and this will be a great additional picture to include & talk about. I remember also your help with the Albatros D.Va and the flare pistol on the right hand side of the aircraft - another "thought I was done, but I wasn't" moment. But thanks to you the model was much more accurate.
Cheers!
Gary

Excellently realized with the banner, Gary!
Simply superb.
Did you make it from a thin strip of paper?

Servus
Bertl

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2024, 02:46:31 AM »

Excellently realized with the banner, Gary!
Simply superb.
Did you make it from a thin strip of paper?

Servus
Bertl

Thanks for that Bertl - the banner was made using some soft thin metal from the top of a wine bottle. In the old days, these "capsules" were made of lead, and the stuff I still have is from a few decades ago which is quite malleable and takes well to paint. Not lead (but an alloy of??) and bends nicely. Good for making seat harnesses too.
Cheers,
Gary

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2024, 04:59:13 AM »
For those of you who are interested to see my take on building this kit, the write-up will be in the August Issue (155) of Military Illustrated Modeller - cheers!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2024, 09:25:00 AM »
Beautiful model and presentation. Looking forward to the article.

Steve

Online Davos522

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2024, 12:47:22 PM »
Hi Gary, I'll make a point of scrounging out that issue, I'm still referring to your E.II article as my own Projekt Eindecker progresses by fits and (mostly) starts...

All best,

Dutch

Offline ModelCellar

« Reply #35 on: Today at 12:00:28 PM »
Beautiful and eye catching ...as usual =).

Paul