Author Topic: Wingnut Wings Pfalz D.IIIa, Jasta 30  (Read 2855 times)

Offline Petie2nd

Wingnut Wings Pfalz D.IIIa, Jasta 30
« on: October 18, 2015, 05:14:08 AM »
I haven’t posted any in-progress pictures here before, but I do have a WNW Pfalz D.IIIa that’s been going for a long time. Anyway, in order to perhaps motivate myself, I’ve decided to share what I’ve done so far.
I’d always liked Hans-Georg von der Marwitz’s “Wine red” Pfalz. Until recently, we owned a Toyota RAV4, and the color is a good match for wine red, but my wife didn’t think it would look good with orange diamonds on the doors. (Of course, if we’d had the markings on the doors, maybe the woman that crossed 3 lanes to total it would have seen it sooner!)

Instead, I “settled” for the Wingnut Wings Pfalz D.IIIa.  ;)  One positive result of my early procrastinations was that the marvelous Jasta 30 book by Bruno Schmäling & Winfried Bock came out last year. After getting the book, I was able to get most of the painting done by the end of 2014, then life happened, and it’s been mostly stalled since.

Several paints were tested for both the “wine red” and Silbergrau, using some old spare Eduard Pfalz wings. Parts were primed with Tamiya Gray Fine Surface Primer. For the red, I chose Tamiya Spray TS-33, Dull Red, for 3 reasons – great coverage, smooth finish, and my wife & I both think it’s a great color! For the light blue, I used a 10:1 mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and X-14 Sky Blue.

The Silbergrau was a bit of an adventure. I had a couple of versions that looked really good on the smaller Eduard wing, but I could not get the same look on the actual 1/32 version. Wingnut suggests a Tamiya mix, but the finish seemed fragile and grainy. I eventually used Model Master enamels, mixing MM 28003 Silver and Light Gray FS 36495 (MM 1732). I started with a 50/50 mix, and then added a little more gray. I had some airbrush issues, and it took some time to get a finish I liked. I wouldn’t use this mix again. The radiator is Alclad Aluminum.

I used Pheon Decals sheet 32026 Pfalz D.IIIa fighters of Jasta 30. Although there are profiles both with and without the diamond on the upper wing, I just couldn’t leave it off. Of course, if you’re really going to screw up one decal, it would have to be something very large and prominent. Many thanks to Rowan & Sabine at Pheon for supplying a replacement. It takes some care to position it around the radiator, but it looks really good now.

I also used HGW 132006 Pfalz D.III/D.IIIa seatbelts and Master AM-32-023 Spandau LMG 08/15 barrels. For rigging, I am using Maxima Chameleon 2 lb. test (0.12 mm) monofilament, with Bob’s Buckles and 28 or 30 Ga. Amber Polyimide tubing. A section cut from the eye of a needle is used as the guide for the radiator shutter under the top wing. The PE shutter shaft has been replaced with 0.4 mm tubing, and the handle made from 0.020” Evergreen plastic rod.

Now I just have to get all of the “small” details done, try a few new techniques, and set aside a little time to tie it all together!

Thanks for looking,

Rich

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Wingnut Wings Pfalz D.IIIa, Jasta 30
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2015, 05:37:44 AM »
Outstanding work and excellent progress, Rich!  I've always liked this scheme and your doing a brilliant job with it.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 05:46:57 AM »
Excellent job on that Pfalz Rav4. It almost looks real! The D.IIIa looks pretty good too! ;)

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 06:22:45 AM »
You have done a brilliant job so far, the red are very eye catching, the interior is extremely well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2015, 02:35:36 PM »
Thanks, Bud, George, and Des. Like most of us, I know all of the flaws in my own work, but it's great to get support from all of you. Some of the things I still have to do are new & a bit scary, but I've learned a lot from the many talented modelers on this Forum. The last 10% always seems to take the longest. Still, I'm determined to finally finish this project!

Rich

Offline pietro

• What?! Are you kidding?!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 05:54:42 PM »
Rich, that is absolutely gorgeous! Your comment about finishing that last 10% rings true for me, too. I have had one of these WNW Pfalz in the works for a while, now. You've inspired me to get it out and finish it. Again, beautiful work!
Pietro

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2015, 06:26:40 PM »
Rich,
 Loving the work you're doing with your Pfalz project.
Keep up the great work.

von B  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 10:41:47 PM »
Rich,
Your Pfalz is gorgeous! Lovely interior work and the wine red looks perfect!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 12:36:27 AM »
Great detailing Rich, and the wine red looks great! Stay the course, that last 10% can actually go quickly!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline drdave

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 07:03:48 AM »
Is that Marwitzs bird? Lovely. You could do an Alby and PfalzDXII and DVII too

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 09:55:34 AM »
Hello Rich!!!

Great work!!! It is great to see unusual camouflages every now and then ;)

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 02:16:00 PM »
Is that Marwitzs bird? Lovely. You could do an Alby and PfalzDXII and DVII too

I do have the Jasta 30 Volume 2 sheet from Pheon. I'd actually like to do the D.VII, but need to get the Albatros-built version first. It's the one version I don't have yet! The red fuselage with the orange top wing would be pretty striking.

Rich