Author Topic: Nieuport N.17bis: mixed from Roden N.24bis and Eduard N.17 kits, in 1/72  (Read 3220 times)

Offline Old Man

I have been working on this for a bit, and now have reached a point where it is worth putting up here. This is one of the more forgotten Nieuports, and to be fair, there was not a lot to be remembered about this transitional type, which appeared near the end of 1916, and featured the new rounded fuselage configuration that would be used on subsequent types, mated with the wings as well as the tail of the N.17. The R.N.A.S. was the buyer, taking first French-built machines, and later a batch from the British Nieuport firm built under license.

The build mixes parts from an Eduard N.17 kit and a Roden N.24bis kit.

These actually go together pretty well. I decided to use both wings from the Eduard kit, because the Eduard struts must be used in any case (different angle to the 'V'), and the Roden kit's wings have their interplane locating holes placed a little farther out on the span than does the Eduard.

The Eduard kit comes with two upper wings, one with a large open panel (which I filled to use on this project).

I scratched a few detail for the interior, but did use the Roden seat and floor-boards.

The Eduard lower wing fit nicely, though it was necessary to cut some plastic away, as the Roden kit's wing piece mates very differently than the Eduard kit's does. But as a matter of size and fit, there was very little work needed to bring them together.

The little wedges on the underside are to blend in the center fuselage portion of the Eduard with the wider fuselage bottom of the Roden; as you can see, there is little difference at the front, but an appreciable difference at the back.

Next was the motor and cowling, and the tail-plane, and with this in hand, starting to add some color.

The cowling is from the Eduard kit. Its chord has to be reduced a good deal, and its mouth opened out a little, and outlets for oil-exhaust cut in. A little preparation is needed to fit it to the nose of the Roden fuselage, but no more than is advisable for fitting it to the nose of the Eduard fuselage. It was thinned out considerably on the inside, which led to my adding a bit to the lifters on the motor.

The Roden Clerget is a little gem (the N.17bis used a Clerget motor), with the push-rods placed properly and even spark-plugs moulded on. I added ignition wires.

I am using the Roden tail surfaces here, not the Eduard (the Eduard do fit, however). Because the Roden fuselage is for both 24/27 and 24bis types, a little inset is provided to extend the turtle-back aft to meet the old style tail-plane; this is a bit of a bother but no real problem.

This is what my painting method looks like about half-way through, at least on the upper surfaces (the unders are pretty much done). Two coats heavily thinned with Future have been brushed on over the white primer. The first was decidedly brown, the second decidedly green. Once dried a bit more they will be gone over with a polishing pad, and further coats, alternating green cast and brown cast, applied.

With basic painting complete, decals were added. Pictures are presented in both natural light and flash, by way of illustrating how variable the appearance of a P.C. 10 finish can be. Since this machine was both late-war production and long in service, I have gone for a more brownish shade....

Under-wing serials were encountered on training machines late in the war, and this machine ended its carry in an RAF training unit at Old Sarum, where a photograph shows the under-surface of the lower wing.

The serial style and positioning here is also from a photograph taken at Old Sarum; it is not usual. The apostrophe was originally an indication a machine had been re-built or assembled from parts of various machines at a depot, but I have seen a number of pictures of machines delivered in 1917 which I know were not rebuilds which had this marking, so there must be a bit more to it. The serial runs are home-made (both wings and fuselage), from dry-transfer put on clear film.

Now the wind-screen and inverted 'V' cabane is in place, as well as a few more details, and the struts have been added to the upper wing. I used the Roden cabane 'V', as it is noticeably more substantial than the Eduard, and so easier to work with when getting the scratched windscreen in place.

Here are a couple of 'pre-view' pictures with the upper wing resting more or less in place....

The Roden cabane is a hair too high (or perhaps I just managed finally to get the Eduard interplanes to go all the way into their sockets in the lower wing), so the alignment in these pictures is not quite right. I have since got the height in order with some careful sanding.

I hope within a couple of weeks to have the upper wing on, and the undercarriage and rigging completed as well.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 06:48:27 AM by Old Man »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Nieuport N.17bis: mixed from Roden N.24bis and Eduard N.17 kits, in 1/72
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 08:46:41 AM »
Excellent work to date Old Man, it is great to see the combination of the two kits and amazing that the parts are relatively compatible. Once completed this will be a unique model, well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 09:31:59 AM »
This is a really nice build! Terrific Idea to mate the two kits and like Des said, great that they turned out to be so compatible!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Culi

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015, 04:53:01 PM »
Very nice. I am looking forwward to see it completed.
The process meters...  therefore so much models are stuck between start and finish

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015, 09:00:14 PM »
Hello OM,

Wonderful to see how you manage to mix two kits. The look of it is very nice. Keep up the great work it will be splendid!

Kind regrads
Patrick

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 01:40:18 AM »
As others have said, neat to see you combine both kits.

Warren

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 01:56:38 PM »
Been following this and a few of your other builds on hyperscale  with a keen interest in your hawk conversion . This one is shaping up very nicely so far .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 11:06:46 PM »
Excellent work, OM.  I too am surprised how the
two makes fit together.  your paintwork is great, an
amazing job, my friend.  Well done!  I look forward
to the next updates.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Old Man

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 07:40:48 AM »
Thank you all very much, friends!

I was surprised a little, and pleased, the kits work together as well as they do. I have wondered if perhaps Eduard had done some work on 'round body' Nieuports to follow their N.17, and then sold it on to Roden when they got out (as they seem to have done) of the 1/72 Great War aeroplane business.

At any rate, here is a bit more progress to report on this: upper wing is on....

Using the Roden cabanes here was the first spot of difficulty in the blending. It took a lot of trimming to get the cabanes to fit and in place. Some of this, though, may have owed to being a hair too zealous in getting the interplane struts to fit all the way into the receiing sockets in the lower wing. At any rate, for all the bother there was no serious damage done to the finish.

Next step will be adding the undercarriage, and rigging....

Ms. Terri mentioned the 'Canton Hawk' I have been plugging away at over on Hyperscale. I hope no one will mind if I put up a couple of pictures of it in its present, near-finished state....

It is a blend of several kits: rear fuselage of a Monogram P-6E is mated to the forward fuselage of a Monogram F11C-2, which provided wings and horizontal tail surface; engine, landing gear, vertical tail surface, and some interior elements, along with decals, are from an RS Models Hawk II. I really should set aside some time to finish the thing, there is very little left to do on it....
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 08:22:53 AM by Old Man »

Offline Old Man

Got this one out of the cupboard last night, and put in a decent spell of work on it. It is now up on its legs and ready for rigging....

Used Roden landing gear legs, and this was the first notable incompatibility between kit pieces, as the Eduard locating holes for the rear leg are well forward of those on the Roden kit. In any case, the Roden legs struck me as a bit long, so I trimmed a millimeter off them. Wheels are from the Camel sprue, as I felt English style appropriate here.

Looking forward to getting in some rigging....

Offline radio

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 09:27:22 AM »
Very beautiful work at all, OM.
Cheers
Martin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2015, 09:33:28 AM »
Great to see you back onto this one OM, looking forward to seeing the rigging fitted.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 01:48:16 PM »
Great to see this one back on the bench, she's looking really good. Unusual alignment of the serial number though, I've not seen that before - was it specific to this aircraft?

Ian

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 02:56:43 PM »
great to see you back to the bench old man .cheers.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2015, 01:21:04 AM »
So glad to see you back at it, OM!  You haven't lost your touch.  Brilliant as ever.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence