Author Topic: Albatros D I 1/32 Roden  (Read 49204 times)

Offline BigBlue

Re: Albatros D I 1/32 Roden
« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2016, 11:47:11 AM »
Tedious work, I'm sure, but well worth the effort.  They look terrific!

Chris

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2016, 02:30:06 PM »
but I replaced them with a very fine black marker pen from Gunze.
QWouldn't it be much easier then to produce all nails with that pen, instead of struggling through the decal appliance process?

S.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2016, 03:25:11 PM »
Borsos beautiful work indeed.

Looking at the PfoP etch you have primed makes m want to let you know, the covers for the airleron cable access on the outer lower wing should be domed and not flat circles in them. these may be eaier to scratch from beer/pop can.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2016, 10:47:55 PM »
Beautiful work on the nails, Borsos.  A time-consuming exercise to be sure,
but really worth the effort!  Looking forward to the next updates, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Der Phönix

« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2016, 12:28:31 AM »
Borsos beautiful work indeed.

Looking at the PfoP etch you have primed makes m want to let you know, the covers for the airleron cable access on the outer lower wing should be domed and not flat circles in them. these may be eaier to scratch from beer/pop can.

Keith

May I just say that this is an example of a gentlemanly and professional (IE mature) way to help out a colleague. As my return to this wonderful hobby of ours is recent, I have been perusing some of the other websites and Facebook groups to familiarize myself with what is now available. I have been, frankly, amazed, and sadly so, at the lack of maturity and bonhomie displayed. And in one case, ego...a chap posted numerous photos of a recent build with blatantly crooked wings. Were he a beginner, and seeking guidance, it might have been understandable and his gaff pointed out to him in a helpful manner. The text accompanying the photos, however, made it clear this fellow wasn't the sort to hear criticism no matter how well intended. It's all very disheartening, frankly.

So huzzah to this group...I feel "safe" here.

Sorry...didn't mean to take a tangent but the above example of one colleague helping out another was too good not to reference.

Best regards,
DP

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2016, 02:41:15 PM »
The Wood....the nails....the different Wood colours.....beautiful! I could look at it the whole time.Great.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #156 on: June 09, 2016, 12:49:53 AM »
I will say this again.. Perhaps, OK surely, the BEST Roden Albatros I have seen! Your painting, decaling, weathering, and of course the nails are awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #157 on: June 09, 2016, 02:27:21 AM »
The nails look fantastic, Borsos, and add a level of realism that wouldn't be possible without them.  It's just a shame that it's such tedious work.  I bought a set for my WNW D.Va, but now I'm not looking forward to trying them.  Scary process.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #158 on: June 09, 2016, 12:20:16 PM »
The nails look fantastic, Borsos, and add a level of realism that wouldn't be possible without them.  It's just a shame that it's such tedious work.  I bought a set for my WNW D.Va, but now I'm not looking forward to trying them.  Scary process.
Cheers,
Bud

And Amigo # 3 chimes in with a Ditto !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #159 on: June 09, 2016, 12:51:19 PM »
Hi Borsos,

i haven't been here for while but first thing I saw was your D.I and it looks spectacular!!!! Wood is spot on!!!

Cheerio
Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas

Offline moustique

« Reply #160 on: June 09, 2016, 09:13:34 PM »
your work on this plane is absolutly fabulous

Offline Dric

« Reply #161 on: June 09, 2016, 09:26:54 PM »
Looks terrific.
Beautiful job
Dric

Offline Borsos

« Reply #162 on: June 11, 2016, 08:34:15 AM »
Good evening gentlemen,

I actually appreciate your kind words, many thanks for them! Finally I have made some progress worth to show, but at first the answers to some questions or comments respectively:

but I replaced them with a very fine black marker pen from Gunze.
QWouldn't it be much easier then to produce all nails with that pen, instead of struggling through the decal appliance process?

S.

I don't think so. Some single dots are fastly made, especially if you have the decals as a guide. But goinf with the pen alone would mean to make straight lines (masking tape...? But masking a decalled fuselage - no, not if I can avoid that!) and always keep the correct distance between the single nails. I am quite sure that this would take even longer that using those decal strips.

It's just a shame that it's such tedious work.  I bought a set for my WNW D.Va, but now I'm not looking forward to trying them.  Scary process.
Cheers,
Bud

It is not that bad to use them, Bud, I didn't want to ruin your anticipation of using that product, sorry! It's just the point that it takes so much time, for instance because you always have to wait until the glue has dried if the lines cross each other. It took me almost a week to finish the nailing... Yesterday I had forgotten to remove the carrier film from two or three lines, but it went off without problems even if it had set 24h and not 3h...

May I just say that this is an example of a gentlemanly and professional (IE mature) way to help out a colleague. As my return to this wonderful hobby of ours is recent, I have been perusing some of the other websites and Facebook groups to familiarize myself with what is now available. I have been, frankly, amazed, and sadly so, at the lack of maturity and bonhomie displayed. And in one case, ego...a chap posted numerous photos of a recent build with blatantly crooked wings. Were he a beginner, and seeking guidance, it might have been understandable and his gaff pointed out to him in a helpful manner. The text accompanying the photos, however, made it clear this fellow wasn't the sort to hear criticism no matter how well intended. It's all very disheartening, frankly.

So huzzah to this group...I feel "safe" here

I don't know what else to add here than: yes, me too. I feel save as well here  :) . I always enjoyed this forum as a place for great communication, exchange of ideas and learning. And I never was disappointed. For me it is crucial to try out new things in this hobby and to learn about history, technology and modelling. I fear, if the day would come when I couldn't learn anything new I would have to quit this hobby (for luck I know that I always will have to learn new things...)

Thank you very much Keith, I didn't know that. I checked my references again and couldn't find any photo of this very dome, so I simply replicated these according to your hint  :) As the wing gets thinner and thinner in that area I could imagine those domes cover up some return pulleys for the rudder.

Ok now I have to express how envious I was since I saw this greatly looking jig in Stephans and James' posts. I had used some masking tape rolls until then to house my unfinished aircrafts... This morning I received my copy and it works fine...
Nails are done as are the fuselage markings. I decided to go with D. 457/16 of Jasta 6 at Uginy in the fall of 1916. When it comes to new established Jastas with new twin armed fighter biplanes one reads often almost exclusively about Jasta 2. But there were other Jastas which faced the problem of nearly total Allied air domination, as Jasta 6. There are two pics of that plane in the WDF 100 (and I had build that plane already out of the Roden 1/72 scale kit some years ago. It was destroyed in a move and I deeply regretted that.)

The fuselage crosses are kit decals. After I had given the whole decal sheet a good shot of future, they were better to use - better, not good. These Roden decals are actually a crap. But I stole the two Albatros logos for the rudder from the Albatros D III OAW kit and they went on as flawlessly as the serials that I took from Roden's Pfalz D III kit (I am an optimist and therefore when I plunder another kit for decals I am always quite sure that when I would build that very kit I'd have other, fantastic decal sets anyway...)

What else is to say? The PE parts for the fuselage went on without any problems. The drainage holes are made out of brass rod. Some shading and some future to seal the decalled fuselage. So far today, things get shape....
Thank you!
Borsos
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 11:52:07 PM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: June 11, 2016, 09:00:20 AM »
Borsos,
    With the wood completed and now the nails this is just spectacular, what a fine piece of modelling you've done so far. That, combined with the colours and shading make it even more real looking, I really like this one. Wonderful work and great results, keep it up!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2016, 09:17:19 AM »
Borsos,
    With the wood completed and now the nails this is just spectacular, what a fine piece of modelling you've done so far. That, combined with the colours and shading make it even more real looking, I really like this one. Wonderful work and great results, keep it up!
Cheers,
Lance

I echo these comments exactly.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com