Author Topic: 1/32 Roden Spad VII  (Read 10586 times)

Offline Epeeman

Re: 1/32 Roden Spad VII
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 05:13:46 AM »
Hello Dave:

This is really taking shape nicely.  I too have this kit and have been gun shy about tackling it.  Yours and RAGIII's are truly inspirational, I have to tackle this.

Looking forward to more.  If it's not too late, I find that pre rigging the upper wing will aleviate a lot of headache. 

Best

Mark

Thanks, Mark - nice of you to say - as regards the rigging, please see the latest update below.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 05:22:26 AM »
All,

Latest update -

I have now finished painting and applying decals to both wings.   Roden's instructions call for two diagonal bands coloured yellow which I followed (brush/hand painting following pre-drawn pencil lines) as per instructions.  The yellow colour looks odd to me and wondered if the actual colour should be blue to match the fuselage diagonal band - will have to live with now though!

To try and ease rigging, I have used 'EZ line' for the inboard interplane struts.  I will do the same for the outboard ones once the top wing is in place.  All other rigging will then be 2lb fishing line threaded through the pre installed eyelets and stretched cotton bud handles.

Applied artist oils (burnt sienna and burnt umber) over 'ochre' base and this will now need several days to dry out fully.

The next stage will be to make a start installing the top wing.

Regards

Dave

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 05:34:44 AM »
  Dave,
Beautifully paint work my old friend.I'm very impressed with how you carry off such an excellent job using a paint brush. Well Done!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 05:50:18 AM »
Looks great!! Youre on the  home stretch.

Steve

Offline Flip Hendrickx

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 08:52:30 AM »
very impressive indeed. I'm using a paintbrush to paint small details, but never thought one could do such a nice paint job on larger surfaces. you clearly have mastered this technique. Looking fwd to see the final result!

all the best

Flip

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »
Incredible painting skills Dave, you certainly have perfected the art, brilliant work all round.

Des,
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 09:16:42 AM »
Beautiful work Dave! You did a far better job on the Roden wing decals than I did using a better quality product. Love the scheme!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 09:59:13 AM »
I'm in agreement with the rest, Dave.  Your painting skills are superb.  I wish I could get results that good with an airbrush.  Brilliant work on the decals, as well.  How did you get them to conform so well?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2012, 05:01:38 AM »
I'm in agreement with the rest, Dave.  Your painting skills are superb.  I wish I could get results that good with an airbrush.  Brilliant work on the decals, as well.  How did you get them to conform so well?
Cheers,
Bud

Thank you all gentlemen -

Bud -  I use the same method for applying all decals.  Start by applying some decal setting solution on the model surface where decal is to go - I use Humbrul 'Decal fix'.   Apply the decal.   I then press gently (with firm pressure) with damp kitchen paper.  Next, I brush on some decal soften solution - Revell 'Decal soft'.   Leave this solution for a few minutes to soften the decal.  Next, get a soft (but firm) clean paint brush and gently brush the decal over the surface so that the decal starts to conform to the shape of the surface details.  Finally, once on, I then immediately brush on several coats of 'clear' which, when dry, really pull decal onto model nicely.

With Roden decals, they tend to chip in places (as they did here) so you are forced to paint in the broken area with a close a colour match as is possible before painting on clear coat.

Regards

Dave

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 01:46:41 AM »
All,

Bad news regarding the build -

After successfully getting the top wing on with no problems, whilst rigging this morning, I managed to drop the model.  As I think I have said before, I work off the kitchen table. Our kitchen floor consists of hard, stone tiles.  Consequently, the model hit the floor hard smashing into several pieces.  The damage is beyond repair.  I managed to get one of my fingers caught in a previously installed line - the kit literally spun in my hand before landing hard on the floor.

I'm now pretty angry and fed up with myself.  This was no easy build but had started to come together very well.  Cost of the kit aside (bad enough) the several weeks of hard work that had gone into it has left me pretty despondent.

I have now totally lost interest in any further builds for time being - I'm still awaiting delivery of WNW order but even if these arrive I am not going to be able to work up the enthusiasm to build them.

Regards

Dave

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 02:36:22 AM »
Dave:

What a shame!   :-[  I know you must be feeling inconsolable right now, and words just won't help.  Some time away from the table would be good.  Remember though, you are not the first or only great modeler that this has happened to.  If it is true that misery loves company, check out this link to see a broken Roden 1/32 Fokker F.1 which resulted from a similar drop (scroll up and see picture at top of page):

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=65072&pid=714761&mode=threaded&start=#entry714761

It looked hopeless to this modeler, but he took some time away, and managed to put it back together.  I don't know if you will be able to do that, but you were doing such a great job on this that I hope you'll at least consider trying at some point in the future.  Let yourself calm down a bit.  Take care my friend.  You have lots of support here.  We all hope you'll come back stronger than ever before too long.  Take care.

Regards,

Bob

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 03:01:05 AM »
I'm awfully sorry to read of your mishap, Dave.  She was shaping up to be a gorgeous model.  Some time away from the bench might be good for now, but I know you'll be itching to get back to it soon.  Maybe releasing some of the anger and frustration with a little sword play is in order?  Anyway, there are 2 types of modelers:  Those who have had this sort of accident and those that will.  I fall into the latter catagory and I know it's coming.  Just a matter of time.  Doug Baumann had the same thing happen with a beautifully scratch-built 1/35 scale AEG G.IV, had totally given up on it, but within a few month put it all back together and finished it.  Take a break, buddy.  Just don't stay away too long.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 08:18:31 AM »
Bob/Bud,

Thank you -

Bob - unfortunately, the damage is well beyond repair.  I'll have a little break from WW1 aircraft and see how things go from there.

In the meantime, I'll still be on the forum so I can keep up to date with the work everybody else is doing.

Have a good Christmas & New Year

Regards

Dave

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 02:16:50 PM »
Dave,
   Gawd, I feel your pain! I think everyone's advice has a common thread; take a short break and return, just don't "not come back". Tell you a little story........... I am doing the WNW F2b "Bif" for our Group Build, just posted my first real update today. In the update I mention the dog hair in the photos.............all 95 lbs. of the little devil. He tossed his "Kong" (a pound or more of hard rubber dumbell) onto my bench this PM in an effort to get me to go outside and throw it for him. I had just placed my completed cockpit assembly, at a minimum 30 hours of work, into a small plastic box for safe keeping. Can you imagine the potential? Point is, as Bud said, those that have and those that will, I got lucky today while your number came up.
   It was a great project, your work is exceptional, and we'll miss you if you don't return. Take a break, recharge those batteries, and I look forward to you starting your next thread.
Cheers,
Lance ;) :)

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 12:39:30 AM »
Hello, Lance -

Really nice to get these replies - I have found them to be really uplifting - fear not, I do not intend to be away for ever - I am a bit 'down in the dumps' at present - still recovering from the viral infection (which has knocked me out of work for a couple of weeks); getting really frustrated with UK Parcelforce over the length of time for them to get my WNW order through - unlikely to get this until after Christmas now; and obviously upset with the amount of work that had gone into, what was, a demanding build.

However, I am feeling a bit better now, so my plan (now) is to tackle one of WNW kits (when I finally get hold of them) when it gets here - I'll probably tackle the Fokker DVII first due to the limited amount of rigging which will make a change.   

So, in essence, I was just letting off a bit of steam.   This is such a great forum and I would really miss the interaction of all the members - making some really great contacts here.

Best regards

Dave