Author Topic: Scratchbuilt 1/144 Q-Class Zeppelin. Plastic, Putty and (3D) Printing.  (Read 19334 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Scratchbuilt 1/144 Q-Class Zeppelin. Plastic, Putty and (3D) Printing.
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2015, 02:12:41 PM »
Absolutely superb, the final product is going to be a real show piece.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2015, 05:45:40 PM »
This is soooo impressive. Thank you very much for showing all this.

Stefan

Offline radio

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2015, 09:46:44 PM »
Stunning work.
Cheers
Martin

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2015, 09:48:27 PM »
This is continuing to be an absolutely Brilliant build! Looks FANTASTIC!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2015, 05:06:38 AM »
Goodness me, this is impressive!

Best wishes
Nigel

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2015, 06:47:22 AM »
This is impressive, t ay the least. Certainly for the scale of the project but mainly for the dedication to accuracy and sticking with it to get it right. I love the idea of now over-spraying to subtle-ize and bring together the different tones of yellow. I hope some of the guys who are doing monochromatic finishes with highlighted rib tapes will take note.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2015, 08:22:49 AM »
  Massively Impressive project my friend.I'm dying to see any of your additional project. Judging from from your Q-Class Zeppelin they just have to be awesome. A tip of the hat to you and your amazing skill and craftsmanship my most talented friend. Well Done!

Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

PS: So when can we expect a Q-Class ship in 1/32 scale? Just wondering aloud.
" What Me Worry"

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2015, 08:49:21 AM »
Wow!! Hope there's no short hallways in your house.....

Steve

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »

Yes, when????

(There must be an echo in the room!)

Offline MoFo

« Reply #85 on: August 21, 2015, 09:16:47 AM »

Yes, when????

(There must be an echo in the room!)

You of all people should know better!  :D

I think I mentioned up-thread, but the diameter of the P/Q class Zeppelins would be about 31" in 1/32.  That's *just* the diameter.  Let's ignore the fact that it would be more than 18 feet long for a minute...  31" diameter.  That's about the size of your standard kid's hula hoop.

YOU COULD HULA WITH A 1/32 ZEPPELIN!

Modellers like to joke about 'that thing is so big, it could BE your coffee table' or 'you don't need an extension on your house, you could just live in that'.  But a 3' x 18' tube...  if you've ever stayed in a Japanese capsule hotel, you actually COULD sleep inside it.  In fact, you could fit three people end-to-end inside a 1/32 Zepp.

I know how much sanding, filling and paint goes into a 1/144 Zepp.  I do not want one in 1/32.  ;)

Offline MoFo

« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2015, 04:16:48 PM »
Today was a very significant anniversary for this particular Zeppelin:

It was shot down 98 years ago today.   :'(

On the morning of 21st August 1917, Zeppelin L23 was sighted by a squadron of British ships taking part in minelaying operations near Hvide Sande. HMS Yarmouth, having been fitted with a special "fly off" platform, launched one of her Beardmore built Sopwith Pups flown by Second Lieutenant B.A.Smart. As the aircraft was launched, L23 tried to dodge, but Smart raced flat out at 110mph to a height of 9000'. Smart dropped to 7000' before diving to 6000' to strafe the Zeppelin with incendiary rounds.  As Smart broke off his attack, he saw the Zeppelin going down in flames, its nose pointed at the sky at an angle of 45 degrees. The flames spread quickly up the L 23, leaving only the nose intact when it hit the sea.

One crew member, probably a gunner from the front end of the airship, managed to parachute from the burning airship, only to drown as no ships were in the area to effect a rescue.

The body of the sail master Johan Schüttrup washed ashore September 3, 1917 at Vigsø Strand in Thy and was buried in Vigsoe cemetery. The clothes were labeled Schüttrup 10,423th. His gravestone reads "He died for his German fatherland".

A putrefying corpse was found on 15 September 1917 in Søndervig and was buried in New parish cemetery.  It was believed to be the remains of machine sailor Johannes / Hans Buhr, identified because the name 'H. Buhr 'was found on a metal plate on the corpse's belt.  There is a gravestone in his honor at the cemetery in Harboøre.

Many other unidentified corpses drifted ashore on the west coast at the time, who may have been crew from L 23.

---

With no provision for landing back on ship, Smart had to ditch his aircraft, but was picked up safely. The Pup however, could not be recovered.

This was the first time an aircraft had taken off from a moving ship to engage the enemy.

In order to celebrate(?), I started work on the Pup. (I figured I had best not tempt fate with the Zeppelin today ;))

The Pup is a two-pack from Valom.  Ironically, it was this thing, bought off a friend for, like, $5 that started the whoooole saga.  I'd been toying with the idea for several months, bought the kit, saw that a Zepp had been shot down by a Pup and figured, 'well I've got the Pup, might as well do the Zeppelin to go with it.'  I tend to jump into things somewhat hastily...  :D

Anyway.  The kit itself is pretty basic, with a rather hand-made feel to the masters.  A bit of a throwback to older Central/Eastern European limited run kits.  The plastic comes in the form of a credit card sized sprue of parts for the airframe; you get two sprues to build two Pups, but Valom could easily have fit eight in the box...

...along with two postage stamp sized PE frets for struts, the tail skid and control column.  They're okay - not terribly crisp, but they'll do the job.

And a single small decal sheet with markings for three British and one Japanese airframe.

As I said, it's a simple kit.  Detail's pretty sparse, so if you were expecting something on par with Revell or Eduard's recent 1/144 kits, you'll be pretty disappointed.  This is what passes for cockpit detail (plus a seat, but nothing on the sidewalls):

Which I guess is fair enough, but the instructions are *hilariously* optimistic, given the actual plastic.  Case in point, the kit seat is somewhat simpler than the instruction drawings would suggest:

As is the gun:

Which brings us to my planned improvements.  I'll probably modify one of my 1/144 Spandaus instead of using the kit part.  Yes, it's completely wrong, but compared the the kit part it's a big step up.  I've also has some 1/144 wicker seats printed; no idea what they look like, but I mostly just want to stick it to WNW.   :P  I've also printed a replacement engine, since the kit part is a.) crappy looking and b.) not symmetrical (again: hand made masters)

The first step, however, was to fix the ribs.  Valom depicted the ribs with recessed panel lines.  These are waaay too heavy in 1/144, and - yet again because it's hand made - are completely uneven and out of alignment.  Notice how the spacing is somewhat arbitrary, and several of the lines are crooked.  So I slathered on a coat of Mr. Surfacer, let it cure then sanded away the excess.  I'll likely pencil in the ribs once the paint is on - should be much subtler.

Also note that the cutout in the middle isn't actually centred - it's offset to one side.  I have a feeling that may become a major headache...

Next, I filled the divots for locating the struts with some CA.  The divots were massive and wouldn't create a positive fit, but if I just filled them with Surfacer, it would lead to a weaker glue bond come final assembly, so I drilled out the Surfacer for a much more robust CA-on-styrene bond.

The CA was smoothed out, then I marked the locating points, scribed the control surfaces and drilled out a few holes.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:39:59 AM by MoFo »

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2015, 05:15:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing the story of your Zeppelin. Very interesting fact that it was shot down by the first aircraft to take off from a ship to engage an enemy. I've followed your build closely and I'm excited to watch your tiny Pup come to life! :)

George

Offline ondra

« Reply #88 on: August 22, 2015, 08:31:22 PM »
Hmmm, I can completely understand your disappointment about the Pup looking at the parts. I have no idea who made the master for Valom but if I was walking in the owner's shoes I would look for someone else, this is far from what I would call a job well done... I can understand there is not much need for super detailed cockpit but the wings can be made in much better quality even as a hand made master.

As to the ribs - my method is gluing stretched sprue on the wing surface and then applying a thick coat of Gunze base white. Before applying the base white the result looks like this:

Perhaps you could use this, keeping the ribs aligned is relatively easy.

Cheers

Ondra

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2015, 01:23:32 AM »
A putrefying corpse...wish I hadn't read this right after breakfast.

Well, I am not one to use the word cool, but this is one occasion where it is warranted; this is indeed very cool. Those of us who appreciate the history behind our model building are fortunate to have this additional prism through which to view it all. This is indeed a significant anniversary.

Good luck with the mini-Pup....

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

PS You do know I was only kidding about the 1/32 build, right ;)