Author Topic: WnW Fokker E.II/E.III Early (Udet's E.III 105/15)  (Read 3409 times)

Offline BigBlue

WnW Fokker E.II/E.III Early (Udet's E.III 105/15)
« on: November 02, 2014, 11:25:22 AM »
My completed Eindecker:

The engine is the wonderful (but challenging!) Taurus Oberursel UI, and the cowling is resin from Aviattic.  Rigging is monofiliment with a combination of Polyimide and Albion nickel silver tubing for connections.  Turnbuckles are Gaspatch, and are a mix of 1/32 (pylon arms and wing attachments) and 1/48 (in-line rigging).

This was a very enjoyable build, and a great kit, and aside from one issue which I will mention shortly, it went together without problems.  The one issue that I did have was with the seam along the aircraft's back where the two fuselage halves join.  At two different points in the build (one at the very finish line) the seam re-appeared along the back and required repair.  I am hopeful, but not certain that it is now gone for good, but only time will tell.  I am sure the issue is due to some faulty technique of mine, but I have heard of the issue showing itself on a handful of other's builds as well.  If I were to do it over again, I think I would add a bit of Evergreen card under the seam for additional support before closing the fuselage up.  Other than this, the kit was a pleasure to build.  The gritty details can be found here: http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3908.0.  If you read that thread, you know that I am indebted to a number of forum members for their help, guidance and support.

The rigging was certainly the most daunting aspect of building an Eindecker for me, but it turned out that figuring where all the lines went was the hardest part.  Once I had the map in my head, the lack of an upper wing means very few difficult to reach maneuvers were required.  Another benefit of the single wing is that the cockpit is wide open, and the standard Wingnut eye candy is on full display.

Thanks for taking a look; comments questions and feedback are welcome.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 02:24:48 PM by BigBlue »

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: WnW Fokker E.II/E.III Early (Udet's E.III 105/15)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 11:35:16 AM »
She's truly stunning, Chris!  You rigging is brilliant and your metal panel riffling is perfect.  The Taurus engine and Aviattic cowling has paid off in spades.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 11:49:16 AM »

Fabulous Eindecker Chris!  I love your colors and weathering. ;D  Thanks for explaining the rigging so well, as that is the part that frightens most of us, I'm sure.  Very well done!

Cheers & huzzas,

Bob

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 11:52:40 AM »
Absolutely superb Chris, the overall finish and weathering is excellent with brilliant rigging, congratulations on displaying this awesome model and thanks also for your build log.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline oreodog

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 12:11:06 PM »
Chris thanks so much for posting this amazing build - i love these eindeckers and you nailed it! your perseverance has ended up with a showstopper. just brilliant!
terry

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
Bravo, Chris!  As far as I'm concerned, it just doesn't get any better that this.
A favourite aeroplane of mine, and you've done her proud!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline dtomko

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 11:47:38 PM »
Beautiful work, a really stunning build!

Drew

guitarlute101

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 11:59:15 PM »
Fantastic build Chris, the paint work, cowling and weathering are all top notch.

Mark

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 12:37:37 AM »
Bud, Bob, Des, Terry, Ernie, Drew and Mark: thank you all for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated.  Des, you don't need to thank me for the build log; participating in the community that you have fostered here has been a real pleasure, and my Eindecker was certainly improved by the help I received in that thread.

Many, many thanks,

Chris

Offline drdave

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 12:58:19 AM »
Superb build!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 01:03:00 AM »
Chris,
     There's no shortage of "jaw dropping" Builds on our Forum however this one really stands out. :o An absolute tribute to your skills; magnificent finishing work, and a score of "11 out of 10" on overall effect. Congratulations on your outstanding work. 8)
Cheers!
Lance

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2014, 01:35:46 AM »
Simply superb Chris! Your talents as a modeller shine through on this one. The finish is absolutely stunning.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2014, 02:02:41 AM »
Superb, Chris!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2014, 10:27:57 AM »
First let me say that your results are Stunning! Lovely work on the weathering, rigging, repair work etc! Just an amazing and Informative build to follow! Love your work!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2014, 10:45:18 AM »
Excellent!