Author Topic: Patrick & Ernie's mini group build...construction, Warning long post!  (Read 3062 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Hello everyone,
  I didn't realise that people would have liked to see some of the pictures of our mini group build's
construction of the Nieuport 11, so working backwards, here is a little build log of the Special hobby kit.
My good friend Patrick will be able to fill in the blanks of his great little blue Bébé a little later.
So to start at the beginning...

The seat was drilled out with 0.6 and 0.7mm bits and the edging of the seatback is lead wire. :)

Painting the resin parts...the fuel tank was sprayed with brass then a coat of hairspray and finally aluminum,
chipping after dried to show the brass underneath...

Into the cockpit...the floor is done with acrylic tube paints and dry-brushed with black for a "dirty" look.  The
controls are painted with Vallejo blue-grey. :)  the loose control wires have been tightened since. ;) :D

Here's the fuel tank with spare ammunition drum, and fuel gauge that I put together...
it is a tube of clear stretched sprue and a couple of pieces of copper wire.  Not the greatest, but ok.

Next to work on the cockpit walls, the frame and rigging...1/48 gaspatch turnbuckles and 0.12mm monofiliment
line with 0.5mm brass ferrules. :)

On to the instruments...various styrene disks from a punch set with airscale instrument decals and HGW bezels...
the ring is fashioned from brass tube to hold the compass.  The Pulseometer is home made, and a little oversize,
but looks like it belongs there.  Sure glad to see the Taurus ones coming out! ;D

Time to close up the fuselage...the Brass rod you see is 0.7mm brass wire that is epoxy glued into place to provide
a secure hold for the lower wings, which are a bit on the weak side without some help.  They will be trimmed later.

Sorry time to take the dog out... ;) :D

While all the building was going on I got the engine pretty much ready...this close-up buisness can be downright ugly! ::)

Here's one of the major secrets with this kit...pin everything!  You will thank yourself later, believe me.  Ask me how I
know. ;) ;D

The rest of the build is pretty straight-forward, so leaping ahead...The Painting, which was quite an excercise in
patience.  I am still trying to get shading right, and it took about 3 tries, (spraying, not liking and stripping) to get
it to where I was fed up enought to admit I wasn't going to get perfection, this time. ;) ;D   I also had a time with
paint lifting when removing the masking tape.  Since then I put a clear coat over each layer and no more troubles.

The green edging was Tamiya IJN green...

Time for decals...the decals provided with the kit I found quite good and have no complaints at all. :D

About the control horns on the tail.  I thought the kit ones were a bit clunky looking so I used some from an
Eduard set that I had lying around.

The engine and cowling on.  Watch the engine as it has to be reduced in thickness to fit inside the cowling.
Both Patrick and myself sanded the rear area of the engine around the propeller shaft to get them to fit. ::)
I also tried out Bertl's amazing technique for showing some age and use of the aluminum.  Not great, but
for a beginner, I will take it. ;) ;D  Here's the link to his great tutorial...
http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=3864.0

Top wing with the struts in place. :)

I sanded down the aileron bell cranks as they were a little too thick and not likeing the connecting rods that
attach to them, I replaced with 0.5mm brass tube which extends into holes drilled in the fuselage top deck.

...So far so good.  Gaspatch 1/32 turnbuckles attached with rigging wire supplied from my partner-in-crime,
Patrick. ;D

I replaced the tail skid end with 0.4mm wire, but I think I should have used 0.5mm as the 04 is a little too
easily bent when the tail is resting on it.

The "aluminum" plate is Evergreen 0.25mm styrene sheet, but in hindsight I should have used the thinner 0.13mm.
the "screw holes" were done with a ponce wheel from MicroMark in the USA.

Finally! ::), the top wing on and in the midst of the rigging...

Here's a look at that terrific Gaspatch Lewis gun.  Work of art, Costas!

This is the home-made gun mount cradle.  This is a good news/bad news thing.  This is the original I did.  The main
part is 0.6mm brass tube and the thin part is 0.3mm brass tube that were annealed to allow the bending.  I wasn't
happy with it so I did another that shows in the completed pictures...much happier with take 2. ;) ;D

Well, there you have it...nuttin to it! ;D  The Completed pictures are over in the Completed section.  I'm sorry
for being so long winded...next time will be more reasonable. ;D  Any questions or hints and tips more than
welcome!  Thanks for looking, and stand by for my good friend Patrick's log to come in a little while! It's even
better! :)

Cheers,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...

Online RAGIII

Re: Patrick & Ernie's mini group build...construction, Warning long post!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:08:06 AM »
Ernie,
It is great to see the processes used to create your Nieuport! Thanks for posting the back up to your completed Model The gun mount is awesome!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:11:00 AM »
Thanks, Rick!  You are always there with a kind word, my friend. :D
Next time I may get it in the right order! ;)  ;D

Cheers

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:11:43 AM »
Wow, that is some high quality craftsmanship. Really nice detail work and finish.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
Ernie.

Some lovely work there. I've ofen thought about buying one of these but after seeing what you did with your's I have to now.

Thank you for sharing.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:58:37 AM »
A very accomplished build, Ernie. Thanks for providing such a fascinating construction log and I hope the dog appreciated its walk!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline radio

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 10:07:10 AM »
Ernie it is a absolut stunning build.
Martin

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 10:35:37 AM »
Truly stunning work on the innards, Ernie.  So glad you posted these pics.  Ain't those Gaspatch guns da bomb?
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ernie

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 11:43:18 AM »
Rob, Keith, Nigel, Martin, and Bud, thank you for dropping by and checking it out.
I really appreciate the support you are so kind to give.  Many thanks, my friends.
Bud, I don't think I would do another without the Gaspatch goodies. :D

Cheers,

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »
Hello to all,
I like Nieuport planes. Excellent work !!  :D :D
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 07:05:24 PM »
Hello all,

In my turn, I would like to give a part of my log build of the Guynemers Bébé.

It started with this picture :

I always start with the painting and assembly of the engine (a question of giving myself a bit of courage  :D )

Painting and bracing of the fuselage sides

Painting and assembly of the cockpit

Replacement of the fragile instrument bar by a brass tube

My dear friend Ernie teached me how to make instruments

The cockpit is coming together

This is not the "black box" of the aircraft, but a box made in brass plate to close the opened pilot's step-up hole  :)

The model is primed and the wings are dry fitted on the fuselage and mounted on a sort of jig with a dihedral of 15°. The wings will be secured on the fuselage by two brass tubes. One that goes through the fuselage sides and one that is secured in the wing itself.

An attempt to show the bracing through the linnen  :-[

This is one photo, but represents a struggling with color, clogged up a/b and headaches. The stains are clearly visible.

Lower wings are installed

View of the tail with a handmade control horn. I am very bad with PE parts and the control horns were PE, so I made them myself.

The little jig for the undercarriage alignment and dry fitting of the u/c

Rigging of the tail

The undercarriage is on and pre-rigging of the wings and fuselage

Homemade decals are on! Maybe I will post the way I did in another section (Lance)

Replacement of the tiny plastic tubes by brass tubes

Upper wing is on!

Machine gun is mounted. The cradle is completely homemade as it was to fragile. I lost the rear support too so I had to make it. The machine gun from Gaspatch was so kindly offered to me by my friend Ernie. Thank you again Ernie!  ;)

The model finally completed after a lot of struggle, but this mini group build has been a real joy for me!  ;D
Thank you for passing by!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Dric

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 07:11:34 PM »
It's a nice build, thanks for sharing

Offline Ernie

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 07:19:38 PM »
Thank you Alain.  What is not to like about Nieuports? :D
I appreciate your kind comments.

Cheers,

Online RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 07:45:10 PM »
Patrick,
Your interior work is Spectacular from the colors to the details! Construction is awesome and the overall finish and Home made decals excellent! You NAILED this one!!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
Thank you so much Rick my friend. Your comments are so much appreciated. I know what a great painting ace you are, so your appreciation counts so much for me!

Kind regards
Patrick