Author Topic: Decal problem  (Read 995 times)

Offline nmroberto

Decal problem
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:17:50 AM »
I'm building a Eduard Fokker D VII and using the Eduard decals.  They are thin, and go on easy but when dry are extremely fragile.  All you have to do is look at them and they chip or scratch.

Anybody got any solutions? 
Robert

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Decal problem
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 10:33:37 AM »
As soon as my decals are dry I spray them with a couple of coats of clear, this protects the decals, you can use either matt, satin or gloss clear.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »
I'll do that, thanks. Could I use something like Future?   How long do you let the decals dry, is overnight long enough?
Robert

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 11:10:37 AM »
I'm not a fan of Future but a lot of our members swear by it. My main clear that I use is Humbrol Clear Cote, the one in the glass bottle. After I apply my decals I hit them with some heat from a hair dryer, then I usually leave them for about two hours before spraying the clear, a lot of peole do leave the decals overnight to thoroughly dry.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:54:32 AM »
Thanks for the tips Des. 

Although I'm getting pretty good at mixing paint colors to match decal colors.  :D
Robert

Offline ww1buff

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2014, 08:08:45 AM »
One trick I use, although it might be risky with a brittle lozenge decal, is to coat the surface with Future just before laying down the decal.  You have to work quickly and be very careful with placement since the Future starts to dry immediately.  The decal can be moved before the future dries if necessary by slipping some water under a corner and working it around.  As the decal dries, brush the bubbles to the edges.  The Future will flatten out as it dries and that decal isn't going anywhere.  Coat the decal surface with Future to seal it.

This has worked really well for me, but as I said, it might be risky with a large, brittle decal.

Joe