Author Topic: New WW1 figures in 1:32 scale  (Read 2424 times)

Online Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
New WW1 figures in 1:32 scale
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:04:48 AM »
Hi all,
BlackDog Models and Copperstate have released new figures:

French Fighter pilots x 2

http://www.blackdog-model.com/en/stranka-1-32-49

Four individual pilots plus two German bomber crews:

http://www.copperstatemodels.com/main/productsCS/6/2

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
Re: New WW1 figures in 1:32 scale
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:22:45 AM »
I wish they did a French Pilot more in line with what Manta did.  This comes across as a cartoon of Guynemer and the second is a foppish characterture.  The Manta figure was a typical pilot in the French flight suit.  I wish I scored one before they quit production. 

Offline Borsos

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:10:26 AM »
The two Black dog RFC mechanics are great. And I think black dog's no. 2 is quite nice. There are several photos that show French pilots didn't always wear the flight suit. But the pose, leaning against an airplane and smoking, is exactly the same that Wing Cockpit once did.
I wished the figure makers would offer more pilot figures actually interacting with their planes and/or the ground crew. There are so many fascinating resin or white metal figures around, I have seen so many dynamic vignettes and dioramas that actually tell funny/sad/drastic/dramatic/... stories! Why not producing such figures? There are great exceptions, e. g. Wings cockpit's ground crewman that sits on the fuselage of an albatros, helping the pilot to close his flying helmet. Also Copper State's RFC guys are really cool. But their new range of aces is stiff too. When we take all the existing pilot figures, all the stiff poses of all manufacturers together one could think pilots in WWI had nothing else to do than standing the whole day next to their machines, hands on hips, or smoking, waiting to be photographed. So boring...
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline miecio52

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 03:05:16 PM »
Borsos,well written.
Regards
 Mietek
 IPMS Poland / Silesia

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:56:17 PM »
Well, as most of those, who build model kit planes, want to build the planes of the best known, highest scoring, greatest aces ever. I don't know, why, maybe to catch a glimpse of glory and be part of history.. And thus it seems only logical for the companies to provide us with better or worse portraits of "our heroes".

Offline Borsos

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 07:04:50 PM »
Well, as most of those, who build model kit planes, want to build the planes of the best known, highest scoring, greatest aces ever. I don't know, why, maybe to catch a glimpse of glory and be part of history.. And thus it seems only logical for the companies to provide us with better or worse portraits of "our heroes".

Absolutely, but also these aces could be portrayed doing something sensefull. I am sure even Richtofen was not standing the whole day next to his airplane, waiting for a Sanke-photographer  ;).
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 12:24:02 AM »
Although I agree with most of what has been written here I do have one other point to make. Many of us who build aircraft Models are looking for figures to interact with our models. Figure Manufacturers are not necessarily looking at our market only! There are Many Military Miniature Painters that have NO Intention of building a diorama with an aircraft model and want to paint a beautifully sculpted figure in a natural pose, Not sitting on, leaning on, working on an aircraft but something that can be posed on a figure base with just a bit of ground work and maybe a bit of back ground stuff like a rudder. JMHO,
RAGIII

PS: My point is there is certainly room for ALL types of sculptures  and I am glad to see so many choices coming out in our Niche!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 12:49:08 AM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline drdave

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 03:53:59 AM »
Some pilots sitting in chairs and horsing around would be good. Too many wistful aces looking at the sky. Tropical figures for the Middle East and French or Belgian figures please.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:46:57 AM »
The Fusilier had a german and a british pilot climbing into/off the cockpit. Those were most interesting! BUT, but now The Fusilier's internetsite is off-duty. What a pity!

Offline tomcervo

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 06:48:33 AM »
I wish they did a French Pilot more in line with what Manta did.  This comes across as a cartoon of Guynemer and the second is a foppish characterture.  The Manta figure was a typical pilot in the French flight suit.  I wish I scored one before they quit production.
I like this John Jenkins figure, also typical.