Author Topic: sanding tool  (Read 2433 times)

Offline Doug Mace

Re: sanding tool
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 03:20:16 AM »
Eric....Dumb question but short of splurging on a Dremel (which I'd love to do but just can't right now), do you think a small electric drill like the one Tamiya makes would work with these flash sanders? In other words, I wonder if they'd fit in the chucks/collets...should, shouldn't they?
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline eclarson

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2014, 05:58:02 AM »
Eric....Dumb question but short of splurging on a Dremel (which I'd love to do but just can't right now), do you think a small electric drill like the one Tamiya makes would work with these flash sanders? In other words, I wonder if they'd fit in the chucks/collets...should, shouldn't they?

Not a dumb question at all.  I'm familiar with the little Tamiya drill but don't have one.  So, though I would imagine the flash sanding bits would fit it, or similar tool, perhaps someone else could confirm that.  On the other hand, I don't think a drill would provide high enough RPMs to make the sanders effective. 

Eric

Offline the great waldo

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2014, 06:23:01 AM »
Hi

I've got one of those Tamiya drills somewhere and have also ordered the sanders. I'm abroad at the moment but when I get back i'll see if the sanders fit. I would be tempted to use the sanders in a dremel or minitool type of tool of which I am lucky to have plenty of as my job as a guitar maker requires them. I bought the little Tamiya drill for fun on a whim but i'd reckon it's plenty powerful enough for the sanding spikes. I you guys can wait till next week when i'm home i'll see if the sanders have arrived and let you know.

Cheers

Andrew

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2014, 02:15:19 PM »
dougmace you can get knock off dremels for less than $20 all over i got one from harbor freight for $10.look here: http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html

its worked fine for me although there is no speed control

Offline eclarson

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014, 02:15:40 AM »
dougmace you can get knock off dremels for less than $20 all over i got one from harbor freight for $10.look here: http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html

its worked fine for me although there is no speed control

A speed control is an absolute necessity when using a moto-tool on plastic.  Most newer Dremels, and knock-offs, have built in controls but they rarely provide the smooth 0-full range of a separate one.

Check eBay for good deals on Dremels and speed controls.  Here's an example of the latter, which is the one I use, with a starting bid of just under $15.  It's in the US but it looks like the seller will ship world wide.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DREMEL-motor-speed-control-cat-no-219-control-dremel-232-245-260-270-280-/161448558563

Cheers,
Eric

Offline eclarson

« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2014, 08:35:16 AM »
My sanders arrived today.  Kudos to the Hobby Elements for prompt shipping and a well packaged product.  The tools will be very useful as all but the roughest two are finer than the diamond burrs I've been using for years.   A good addition to my tool collection! 

Cheers,
Eric

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2014, 05:31:24 PM »
I am a fan of good tools too. But I think 25 $ is somewhat expensive.
As an alternative, you can asked your local Dentist for obsolete tools. Dentists often have tools which are still quite good, but can not be used any longer for the dental care.
I got more than 50 tools (polisher, sander, miller etc.) from my Dentist, which all can be used in my Dremel or Proxxon, for free. (ok, I gave 5 € tip for the employees)
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster

Offline eclarson

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 06:59:26 AM »
As an alternative, you can asked your local Dentist for obsolete tools. Dentists often have tools which are still quite good, but can not be used any longer for the dental care.
I got more than 50 tools (polisher, sander, miller etc.) from my Dentist, which all can be used in my Dremel or Proxxon, for free. (ok, I gave 5 € tip for the employees)

Not really.  5 bits @ $5 per bit is a good deal.   Good Dremel diamond bits run  $7 - $9 and I've never seen any with as fine an abrasive as these. 

You're right about the dental tools!  Having had a good friend for decades who was both a dentist (now retired) and modeler, I could start my own practice with what's in my shop - mirrors, probes, picks, scrapers, drill bits, etc. - you name it, I've got it.  My favorite is a complete set of root canal files.  :)  Dentists are also a good source of thin lead foil which is used to protect X-ray film.  Perfect for seat belts and other scratch building.   

Cheers,
Eric

WarrenD

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 11:32:22 PM »
I know I'm waiting into this a bit late, but I purchased a battery-powered Dremel tool for approx $20.00 US at a big-box hardware store a good while back that was marketed as a tool to clean golf clubs, etc. It has a high and low setting, and both work well on styrene, etc. Relatively cheap, it works, etc.

YMMV, FWIW,

Warren

Offline Wolf

• The challenge is in the scale
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2014, 10:27:10 PM »

Not really.  5 bits @ $5 per bit is a good deal.   Good Dremel diamond bits run  $7 - $9 and I've never seen any with as fine an abrasive as these. 

You're right about the dental tools!  Having had a good friend for decades who was both a dentist (now retired) and modeler, I could start my own practice with what's in my shop - mirrors, probes, picks, scrapers, drill bits, etc. - you name it, I've got it.  My favorite is a complete set of root canal files.  :)  Dentists are also a good source of thin lead foil which is used to protect X-ray film.  Perfect for seat belts and other scratch building.   

Cheers,
Eric

I meant expensive compared to the Dentist Tools. I know that original Dremel bits are even more expensive.

I dont want to talk out These Tools to anyone. Just wanted to Show that there are sometimes cheaper alternatives.
A model thrives on its overall impression and not on that every little disagreement over the original is hyped up as a disaster