Author Topic: What kind of magnifier do you recomend?  (Read 7497 times)

Offline JoeDxMB

What kind of magnifier do you recomend?
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:21:04 AM »
I referring  to a maginfier that is use to paint, etc very small details.

I presently  have one of those "helping hands" type magnifiers (4X) that also has  a couple of alligator clips to hold parts. 
I also have a printer's  loupe (I used to be a printer before retiring)  that I also find  is handy at times.

However, I need  something  with a light so I can see what I'm doing better.  What kind of magnifier  do you find indispensable?   BTW, I wear eye glasses if it makes a difference.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:24:06 AM by JoeDxMB »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: What kind of magnifier do you recomend?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 05:45:50 AM »
I referring  to a maginfier that is use to paint, etc very small details.

I presently  have one of those "helping hands" type magnifiers (4X) that also has  a couple of alligator clips to hold parts. 
I also have a printer's  loupe (I used to be a printer before retiring)  that I also find  is handy at times.

However, I need  something  with a light so I can see what I'm doing better.  What kind of magnifier  do you find indispensable?   BTW, I wear eye glasses if it makes a difference.

Joe,
    I highly recommend the "Optivisor" brand. You get an adjustable headband type of device and buy various magnification lenses to fit it. (Takes about a minute to change lenses) It works well with eye glasses, a light is available as an add on, and also an "Opti Loupe".
   The lenses are plastic or glass, you can order either. I recommend the glass, more scratch resistant. I bought the visor and two lenses a year or so back, now use it at least 1/3 of my modelling time. I have a 5X and 10X lense, use the 5 all the time and can't imagine ever using the 10. I'm considering buying a 3X. Optimum for me would be a regular use 5X and a 3X to get rid of the "bending over/down" requirement to focus on less "miniature" tasks.
   Do a quick search on line using the product name, great product for sure and not too expensive (I got the Visor, 2 lenses, and Opti Loupe for under $80 as I recall.
Hope this helps in your quest!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline JoeDxMB

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:16:35 AM »
I've heard of the Optiviser but, was not shure if it could  be used with eye glasses.

I do have a question. 
Why would 10x be too much?  One would think the more magnification the bettter.   

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:12:25 AM »
  Joe,
No worries with wearing glasses and using an Optivisor my friend. I've been just that for years never any troubles doing so .
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:43:15 AM »
I have been thinking about these things as well. Are they easy to use?
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:42:22 AM »
  Ken,
Easy as can be my friend just slip them on and adjust to fit and start your painting. The 10X is wonderful when using a 10 naught brush for fine details not to mention oil leaks.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 10:02:04 AM »
    I have yet to try the 10X that I have. Probably have to get real close to your subject to use it..........but I must give it a try sometime. I find that the more I use it, the more I use it if you get the drift. Kind of get spoiled by the vast improvement it provides.
   Only regret I have is that I didn't get one sooner!
Cheers,
Lance 8)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
I use the 10x on my optivisor - works like a charm!

Worth it's weight in Moon dust  :)

BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline phs Paddy

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 09:22:03 PM »
I use the 10x on my optivisor - works like a charm!

Worth it's weight in Moon dust  :)

BVB

Hear, hear from eyeglass wearer!

Paddy  :)
In mathematics you don't understand things, you just get use to them. Johann von Neumann 1903-1957

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 09:29:07 PM »
Okay, thanks Guys. Off to order one now.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »
The only drawback is that we look really dorky when wearing it. At least that's what my younguns' say.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 10:22:40 PM »
I've got a desklamp which has a magnifier on the inside and lights all around the rim, can't really remember but I think its x3 magnification, it works really well, the trick is remembering to use it.
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Jim52

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 10:27:00 PM »
They're still young, Chris. Wait until Time catches up with them
a bit. I'm sure the "Tune" will change! ;D

Jim

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2012, 01:04:10 AM »
The only drawback is that we look really dorky when wearing it. At least that's what my younguns' say.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris

You ain't lived til you've answered a doorbell forgetting it's on your head.................certainly kept the dialogue with the petitioner lady short! (and she hasn't been back either)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2012, 01:10:50 AM »
I always used to chuckle when I saws guys wearing them at shows, now my daughter can hardly wait for mine to get here.  :)

I guess I'll only be able to go modelling when she's in bed.
Regards, Ken