Author Topic: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1  (Read 40507 times)

Offline petrov27

Re: Meng announces a 1/32 scale Fokker DR.1
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2020, 11:46:00 PM »
It does look very nice. Sigh though - I have a couple Roden DrI and all the trimmings from aftermarket already. Maybe I should try a quick "double-build" to clear space in the stash for this new kit....
-Patrick

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #76 on: June 19, 2020, 11:57:44 PM »
Wow those sprues are high quality. Control stick looks amazing.
‘Not all who wander are lost‘

Offline SimonCornes

« Reply #77 on: June 20, 2020, 12:08:16 AM »
I hope they still have time to correct the PE Spandau jacket. If they can't... there are many aftermarket alternatives.

Oddly, the Spandau jackets seen in Meng's CAD image of the complete model look correct.  But you're right about alternatives.  Master Model Spandaus are superb.

Eric

I must admit that I have a fondness for Gaspatch machine guns!

Simon

Dekenba1

« Reply #78 on: June 20, 2020, 04:24:24 AM »
Just to ramp up the intrigue surrounding Meng and their tooling work for Wingnut Wings, I understand that as well as the 1/32 Fokker Dr.1, Meng were also doing the tooling for a Wingnuts 1/24th scale Fokker Dr.1.

Yes, it seems Wingnuts had plans to launch a whole new range of 1/24th scale kits. As well as the Fokker Dr.1, the line was intended to include a Sopwith Camel and Albatros D.V/a. If only….

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

If true, that goes some way to explain why WNW ceased trading.

I really can't see many people, having heavily invested in 1/32 WNW kits, deciding to fork out yet more money for the same kits in a larger scale? Yes, some will, but from what I know about modellers, not many.

It's just financial suicide. They have numerous sold out lines that obviously have untapped demand remaining, which they could tap by running more batches at a lower marginal cost, since all the development costs are already sunk.

They could have reduced the number of boxing's, by including late/early parts in the same box, like many manufacturers do, thereby reducing costs.

They could issue just a single version of unpopular/expensive kits, like the DFW & Felixstowe's.

They could have opened the market potential by providing special edition kits to sell up, and Eduard style overtrees kits to sell down.

But no, let's start up an entire line of 1/24 kits, based upon - I assume - PJ's desire to model them. Just crazy.

At some point, an accountant looking at the books, the budgets and the projections, must have seen the writing on the wall in the form of large losses that got larger as WNW did more kits, and flagged up the figures to PJ.  Even multi-millionaires have a limit, and it seems WNW crossed that red line, given a push by the coronavirus nibbling away at his wealth.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #79 on: June 20, 2020, 05:14:54 AM »
For those who think this kit isn't the WNW kit...

I just grabbed several recent WNW kits off the shelf and compared the sprues to the new images of the Meng kit.

Sprue geometry, choice of number font, etc., are identical.

PS:  That's really interesting news about a 1/24 line.  I would have definitely bought those kits.  Maybe we will see them under future Meng releases.

1/32 scale really isn't all that big for a lot of WWI aircraft, such as the DR.I or a Camel.

1/24 would be that much better.  More impressive on the shelf.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #80 on: June 20, 2020, 05:25:50 AM »
Just to ramp up the intrigue surrounding Meng and their tooling work for Wingnut Wings, I understand that as well as the 1/32 Fokker Dr.1, Meng were also doing the tooling for a Wingnuts 1/24th scale Fokker Dr.1.

Yes, it seems Wingnuts had plans to launch a whole new range of 1/24th scale kits. As well as the Fokker Dr.1, the line was intended to include a Sopwith Camel and Albatros D.V/a. If only….

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

If true, that goes some way to explain why WNW ceased trading.

I really can't see many people, having heavily invested in 1/32 WNW kits, deciding to fork out yet more money for the same kits in a larger scale? Yes, some will, but from what I know about modellers, not many.

It's just financial suicide. They have numerous sold out lines that obviously have untapped demand remaining, which they could tap by running more batches at a lower marginal cost, since all the development costs are already sunk.

They could have reduced the number of boxing's, by including late/early parts in the same box, like many manufacturers do, thereby reducing costs.

They could issue just a single version of unpopular/expensive kits, like the DFW & Felixstowe's.

They could have opened the market potential by providing special edition kits to sell up, and Eduard style overtrees kits to sell down.

But no, let's start up an entire line of 1/24 kits, based upon - I assume - PJ's desire to model them. Just crazy.

At some point, an accountant looking at the books, the budgets and the projections, must have seen the writing on the wall in the form of large losses that got larger as WNW did more kits, and flagged up the figures to PJ.  Even multi-millionaires have a limit, and it seems WNW crossed that red line, given a push by the coronavirus nibbling away at his wealth.

The 1/24 line doesn't strike me as that crazy, as long as it was done in moderation and used for the most iconic aircraft of the Great War.  I think they would have sold just fine.

Clearly, what killed them is not producing enough bread and butter kits like the DR.I (earlier) or the SPAD XIII, etc.

On top of that, the killer surely was getting bogged down in excessive development time for hugely complex, large, and expensive kits that were doomed to poor sales numbers from the start.  And I'm pretty sure we all could have known which kits those were going to be before they even went into development.

As I have mentioned before, the Felixstowe is a good example.  Those kits have been available for below retail for a long time; they are just too big, too complex, too much rigging, and require way too much display space to be financially viable.

Still, the development of maybe one of those sorts of kits probably could have been offset by lots of good selling popular kits. 

But the ratio of complex/crazy kits to iconic/bread and butter kits was all wrong.

This jibes with our Dave and WNW's Dave in their respective podcasts suggesting WNW could have been financially viable had they gone a different route.

WNW's efforts at creating good rigging instructions were always rather insufficient.

I think the largest factor in keeping a lot of modelers away from WNW products was the rigging.  Had they done a better job at making that process much easier for the modeler, it may have helped.

The simple diagram they include in the instructions could have been much more elaborate; I always said they should have had a second instruction manual just for the rigging, walking the modeler through the process stage by stage just like the other aspects of the kit.  The idea being to make the process less intimidating to the uninitiated.

It's all water under the bridge now!

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2020, 05:33:01 AM »
I'd be shocked if this were anything other than the WNW kit.

Just makes no sense otherwise, unless you believe in coincidences.

The Roden kits are available at around £25-£30. They will still offer great value for money, even if this trump's them technically.

Pricing will be interesting. How close to $79 will it be!?

Had a quick look at LSP, and it continues to treat WNW as some kind of nasty, to be avoided virus. Very, very odd. I used to enjoy it there, but no longer -  Some time ago I was encouraged by a moderator to go elsewhere to discuss WNW & it's demise.....

Your post here could have been written by me, both in terms of the Fokker having to come from WNW, and the LSP comments.  Bizarre/odd indeed. 

I have said as much over at LSP, and indeed, I too was invited to go elsewhere.

Regarding the pricing of the Meng DR.I: the economics going into the release by Ming aren't going to be the same as they would have been for WNW.  They might offer them at a price below what WNW would have done.

Then again, they probably feel they can move them at a unit cost of $79, or maybe a touch more, so we'll have to see. 

Offline oldalbie

« Reply #82 on: June 20, 2020, 05:46:39 AM »
As much as I liked WNW, I was always surprised they made such off the wall products as the last 2 Gothas.  I also had a tough time deciding how best to spend my dollars, since being retired and on a pension made buying a very selective process.  I was fortunate enough to get a few "mainstream" models before the company went under and looking at what E-Bay resellers are charging I'm glad I did.  Looking at the Dr.I from Meng I also think it's the WNW that was announced.  I'd like to get a couple once they come out.

Offline Ringleheim

« Reply #83 on: June 20, 2020, 05:47:16 AM »
Hi all,
Has anyone noticed the box art serial number for the kit?
'Quetzalcoatlus Series QS-002'

Strange naming covention - a pterosaur from the late Cretaceous period.
But what got my attention is that this kit is the first by MENG, so why serial number 002?
Could there be a 001?

Mike

That's a Meng thing.  They have some armor kits that are part of the Tyrannosaurus series, etc.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #84 on: June 20, 2020, 06:17:44 AM »
Hi all,
Has anyone noticed the box art serial number for the kit?
'Quetzalcoatlus Series QS-002'

Strange naming covention - a pterosaur from the late Cretaceous period.
But what got my attention is that this kit is the first by MENG, so why serial number 002?
Could there be a 001?

Mike

That's a Meng thing.  They have some armor kits that are part of the Tyrannosaurus series, etc.

Yep, I actually have a copy of Quetzalcoatlus 001 in the stash - it is a very nice looking kit though I have heard it may be a tricky build
-Patrick

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #85 on: June 20, 2020, 06:37:49 AM »
Meng has uploaded more images of its forthcoming 1/32 scale Fokker Dr.1 kit on its Facebook page.

No release date is announced but the kit was virtually ready for release in its Wingnut Wings incarnation.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Those sprues look absolutely gorgeous, tahnks for sharing. I'd say one of the finer efforts of WnWs (Meng) to date. Earlier today members of a certain fan page were ranting about how they looked wierd and sub standard? Very strange. Seems hard to plese/convince some. I would have thoght this was exactly what everybody wanted – another modelling company stepping in and taking over where WnW left off. Will probably get one or two. Wou'nt paint any of them red though...

/Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline Vickers

« Reply #86 on: June 20, 2020, 06:42:44 AM »
1/24th scale isn't that big a jump over 1/32nd and if a manufacturer gets up to 1/16 or 1/12 in Great War aircraft then we're at the point where in my opinion plastic no longer fools the eye and the kit might as well be made of wood, aluminum, and fabric with painting masks for all of the markings except perhaps stencil data and propeller logos. I've never summoned the courage to buy one of the big Hasegawa kits like the N.28 or Dr.1 and I'm not sure what I'd do with one if had one. Like the giant 1/32nd WNW kits, it's fun to see them built by others yet I have no inclination to add one to my stash.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline Dave J

« Reply #87 on: June 20, 2020, 09:52:07 AM »

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Fascinating stuff, Dave.
Unfortunately it's almost a perfect lesson in how not to run a financially viable company IMHO.
Millions going out the door on future projects, while many of your most popular lines are sold out so far less money coming in than could have been available.
They built a gold standard brand image - comparable with Apple - with a similar brand loyalty, but insisted on a limited edition policy and omitted so many products (Dr.1, SPAD etc) that the customers really wanted
I love the whole WNW ethos and will miss them immensely, while regretting what could have been achieved had all PJ's millions been invested with a better business plan.

Thats a great summary
Dave Johnson
Wellington, New Zealand

Former Wingnut Wings Dungeon Master, Sales & Logistics Manager

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #88 on: June 20, 2020, 09:58:53 AM »
As much as I liked WNW, I was always surprised they made such off the wall products as the last 2 Gothas.  I also had a tough time deciding how best to spend my dollars, since being retired and on a pension made buying a very selective process.  I was fortunate enough to get a few "mainstream" models before the company went under and looking at what E-Bay resellers are charging I'm glad I did.  Looking at the Dr.I from Meng I also think it's the WNW that was announced.  I'd like to get a couple once they come out.

As a bit of a WWI Aviation Historian of the armchair variety, I appreciated most of the Sir Peter's selections.  For example the DFW C.V was actually the most numerous German aircraft at the front.  We just do not hear much of it, though it does pop up in stock WWI footage (e.g. skull & crossbones 2-seater).  The AEG is a very interesting and important design.  It will be a beast to build.  I agree with most, while I like the Felix and the G.I; I would have put the development money into a SPAD XIII and an Albatros D.III series (German and Austro) and the D.II.

Offline Pup7309

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2020, 03:03:41 PM »
I'd be shocked if this were anything other than the WNW kit.

Just makes no sense otherwise, unless you believe in coincidences.

Had a quick look at LSP, and it continues to treat WNW as some kind of nasty, to be avoided virus. Very, very odd. I used to enjoy it there, but no longer -  Some time ago I was encouraged by a moderator to go elsewhere to discuss WNW & it's demise.....

Your post here could have been written by me, both in terms of the Fokker having to come from WNW, and the LSP comments.  Bizarre/odd indeed

I have said as much over at LSP, and indeed, I too was invited to go elsewhere.

Sounds like 1/2 a dozen of us at least have had this experience, maybe from the same individual (will refrain from naming). Reactions to WNW posts as you say were nasty and bizarre. Then other mods just piled in with lame justifications. Bloody unprofessional. The site is ok shadowing and members are helpful for tips and techniques but I find it’s best to avoid feeding the trolls in the discussion section. Anyway that’s thankfully in the past for me now.

This site is more respectful, open minded and a better place to discuss WW1 modelling in that sense. I’ve also had some good interactions with guys here, once again won’t name them but you know who you are! Dazlr
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 03:56:23 PM by Pup7309 »
‘Not all who wander are lost‘