Author Topic: New Airbrush Compressor  (Read 1864 times)

WarrenD

New Airbrush Compressor
« on: February 14, 2015, 11:49:44 AM »
Forumites,
                I'd really like to get a new airbrush compressor. The first one I got was just a small, cheap0 compressor, but it had no tank, so I had to jack the pressure up to compensate for when I pulled the trigger/pressed the button and the pressure dropped. I then got a Campbell-Hausfield compressor with a tank. This thing is a great air compressor, but it's made for construction or garage duties, and is a bit too loud for my tastes.

I've seen a number of compressors in the $80 - $200 (US) range on eBay and Amazon, but it seems they're all from the same manufacturer in China, and that there are a significant number of complaints, primarily to do with the moisture trap threads, etc.

Any recommendations from y'all for a good, quality compressor with a holding tank that won't cost over $200 (US)?  Is there such an animal?

Thanks!

Warren

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: New Airbrush Compressor
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2015, 12:02:15 PM »
I bought a a Paasche compressor for about $200 a few years ago, nicely made, quiet, has tank, vapor trap etc.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2015, 12:09:39 PM »
I purchased mine off eBay for under $100 and it has served me extremely well. It is reasonably quiet, has a tank, has a water trap and pressure regulator, I have done an enormous amount of spraying with it and it has never faulted.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

Warren

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »

Offline davecww1

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 03:03:59 PM »
My friend got one of these at the local harbor Freight, just follow the instructions on changing the oil and it will last for years...
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13-hp-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-61615.html

Offline drdave

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 08:41:22 PM »
Very pleased with my Iwata sprint jet.

WarrenD

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2015, 12:27:11 AM »
Bo,
      Thanks, that is one I saved to my wish list and was considering.

Dave,
        That one looks like a construction/garage compressor. What's the noise level like?

Dr. Dave,
              I'll have a look at the Iwata Sprint Jet, thankt!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 12:34:54 AM »
Warren, I have an Iwata Smart Jet Pro, great product! It doesn't have a tank but delivers a steady air flow consistently. Might be a little over your top price but worth looking at IMHO.
Cheers,
Lance

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2015, 12:52:15 AM »
Lance,
          I'll take a look at that one too.

Bo,
     That's a good read. I haven't used my Campbell-Hausfield much, but when I did, I was religious in making sure I took the pressure off of the tank and drained it. My sis-in-law and her husband (my brother-in-law-in-law?) have every SCUBA certification known to man, and have been teaching and filling air tanks for years. He's told me all kinds of horror stories about air in tanks, etc. I'm pretty careful. Thanks for the link and a good read.

Warren

Offline davecww1

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2015, 02:44:00 AM »
Dave,
        That one looks like a construction/garage compressor. What's the noise level like?

Hi Warren,
I have not heard it run, but it is not a big enough tank to use for air tools or garage work, it shuts off as soon as the tank fills up so is not always running.  My friend lives in a 2 family house and gets no complaints from the neighbors so it must not be too loud.  It has a variable pressure gauge so all you need is a moisture trap and adapter for your airbrush hose and you can spray forever!  And with a price less than $100 it is a great value for what it does.  Plus in case of an emergency you can take it outside and fill up your tire!  It is fairly big for an airbrush compressor but it weighs about 20 pounds so not very heavy to move around. 

Offline drdave

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2015, 02:54:24 AM »
Actually it's a smart jet pro that I've got, not the sprint jet. Much better.

Offline Hannover

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2015, 03:06:45 AM »
Sparmax TC-610 for me http://www.sparmaxair.com/product_detail.php?id=1&r=7

Sparmax actually make Iwata and many other brands of compressor...

P

Offline LukasTheLight

• Addicted to Wingnuts...
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2015, 06:33:47 PM »
I have same one as Des... 3 years and never had any problems with it :) And It was rather inexpensive :) Although there might be some difference when I get back home after 5 months :D dust, rust?? Hopefully not... :D

Lukas
"Those Magnificent Men In Their Flying Machines.
They Can Fly Upside Down With Their Feet In The Air.
They Don't Think of Danger. They Really Don't Care.
Newton Would Think He Had Made A Mistake."

Lukas