Author Topic: Hello  (Read 5785 times)

Offline Piltdown Man

• ...an anthropological fraud
Hello
« on: April 18, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »
I never used to like "old fashioned" aircraft until a few years ago. They appear to be a blend of logic, craftsmanship, art, science, sheer optimism with a bit of religion thrown in to make it fly. But as I grow older, this weirdness now appeals (maybe the result of the set in of early Alzheimer's) and that coupled, with the current array of super kits, accessories and support from sites like this means that truly brilliant models can be built. So chaps, you'll have to forgive me whilst I soak up your knowledge so I can build better kits.

PM

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 07:34:02 AM »
Hello PM and welcome to my brand new forum. Your description of these ''old fashioned" aeroplanes is pretty apt, but they do have a certain appeal about them. The WW1 aircraft model scene has really grown over the past two years with many modelers changing over and starting to build these "wierd" aircraft, I hope to see some of your posted here soon.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:29:07 AM »
Welcome aboard Piltdown.

I never used to like "old fashioned" aircraft until a few years ago. They appear to be a blend of logic, craftsmanship, art, science, sheer optimism with a bit of religion thrown in to make it fly.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. I approach my modelling in a somewhat similar fashion in that I'm wildly optimistic before I start a project, pray fervently that I can actually finish it once I start, and inevitably throw logic, science and craftsmanship right out the door.  ;D

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »
Hi PM,

......They appear to be a blend of logic, craftsmanship, art, science, sheer optimism with a bit of religion thrown in to make it fly......

They certainly do, which lends them a certain 'air' so to speak.

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 12:50:53 AM »
Welcome aboard!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 06:31:19 AM »
Hello. Hope you enjoy this site as much as I will.

Offline ta152c

• My threads are doing iron man numbers
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 08:17:43 AM »
Welcome :)
"I hope he burned all the way down" - Mannock on hearing of the death of Manfred Von Richthofen, 1918.

Offline Piltdown Man

• ...an anthropological fraud
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:19:40 PM »
Thank you one and all for your kind replies. Would you believe I'm really a railway modeller at heart and have got side-tracked into these things on my route to being being a better modeller? Along the route I've have learnt to airbrush, scratch-build, make scenery and so on. This is the level I'm at now (my first plane for 40 years or so). Yes I know it's modern (as far as this site is concerned) but I also know for sure I have a long way to go. But for a £12 kit I don't think it turned out too badly.

As far as this site is concerned, I'm currently working on 1/32nd Academy Sopwith Camel. It's truly a dreadful (but very cheap) kit but with a little TLC and a sanding stick I hope to polish a t**d. I shall post an update on its progress when I get home. Unfortunately I have to be well away from my modelling stuff most days every week. And please, if you see something upon which I can improve, please tell me what, why and how!

Thanks again,

Trevor

(In the stash: WNW 1/32 Brisfit, Eduard 1/48 Airco DH2, Brisfit & Camel - but those buggers at WNW are working on some new wallet openers)

Offline Pete Nottingham

• I chose the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 12:28:08 AM »
Hi PM and welcome.

Cheers

Pete.