Author Topic: Eduard Hannover C.LIIIa build in 1/48  (Read 3697 times)

Offline smperry

Re: Eduard Hannover C.LIIIa build in 1/48
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2018, 09:04:03 PM »
Hi Alistair
Thanks for the compliment.
No, I have not tried Imgur. In fact I am so computer challenged, I have no idea what that is. I have wondered how the nice large photos were showing up on other threads, but I can't seem to get them any bigger without exceeding the Kb limits. Perhaps you could send me a message and point me in the right direction.

Thanks
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2018, 09:47:57 PM »
sp,
    I am probably in the top 10% of computer challenged people and I use Imgur with ease. Highly recommended and the service is free!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline smperry

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 12:17:49 AM »
OK, I looked at the site and made no sense of it. I suppose I need to click on the sign up button, something I am generally disinclined to do. I will have to wait until I have more time as these sort of things are usually much more complicated than they let on at first. I usually get frustrated and walk away before completing a sign up. Took me multiple tries to get signed up on this site.
Thanks for the recommendation and I will try it as soon as I get ready to beat my head against a digital wall.
Thanks
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline smperry

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 01:50:31 AM »
I finally got signed up, but I couldn't figure out how to make large clear photos using minimal bandwith, much less get images back off the site and onto my computer for use here. Oh well.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 09:51:15 PM »
OK I think I'm on the right track. The posted image started out over 4 mb and is now supposedly around 22 kb.
Hopefully this will post OK.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2018, 10:13:54 PM »
I have no idea what magic Imgr does, nor do I want to know how, but it seems to do the trick, which works for me.
Alistar and Lance, thank you both for pointing me in the right direction, now I can share all my modeling mistakes in full size and crisp detail.
Thanks again
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2018, 11:01:20 PM »
This little engine is taking me forever to complete, OTOH, I'm having a lot of fun doing it. I was pretty sure I had lost all ability to work on something this small. Seems I can still work small, just not quite as well as I could back when I could see what I was doing.
The attached photo should show a lesson learned about making engine stands out of sprue. Wrap the supporting pieces in double sided tape and the engine will tend to stay in place when you pick it up.
I also remembered to scratch off that crooked engine data plate decal and replace it with one that dried a bit straighter.
Finally, I added the first two pushrods on the front cylinder. I tried 5-0 surgical steel wire which kept popping loose from the CA holding it to the rocker arms whenever I tried to trim it flush, so I used the brass pieces I had previous;y removed from the valve gear. These two were added unpainted and that was a mistake as painting them required considerable touch up. I pre-painted the other 9. No my math isn't bad, I managed to flip one tiny brass pushrod into whatever alternate dimension lost brass ends up in. Not bad as this is the first piece of brass from this kit that I have lost completely. I pre-painted some fine copper wire to use in place of the missing brass pushrod.
Once I get the pushrods installed and add the exhaust manifolds, I will be done with this little puppy. I won't be adding magnetos as they cannot be seen when the fuselage is closed up and I am ready to move on with the build.
sp

Offline smperry

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »
Finally had done with the engine. The pushrods were not fun to attach, nor is the result pretty. Fortunately the cowl covers most of the mess. I got the fuselage closed, though there was half a mm or so more width to the PE cockpit than the plastic fuselage halves. It is an early Eduard kit, so what did I expect. Got it closed up and did a bit of preliminary sanding to remove any stray CA and then masked the seams and slathered on the Squadron White putty, which amazingly had not dried out.
So now  it sits closed up and waiting on the putty to cure. This is a good time to take a break and work on another model for a few days.
sp