Author Topic: Kette of Dr1's  (Read 8565 times)

Offline Davos522

Re: Kette of Dr1's
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2024, 11:38:32 PM »
Great thread, Paul, these are litttle beauties, each and every one... I don't know which one is my favorite! I'd hate to have seen them coming, had I been flying a FE. I recently re-read No Parachute and Lee at one point talked about a Triplane easily breaking off a combat by climbing away, going up like he was in a lift. He and the others in 46 Sqdn viewed them with something like superstitious awe.

Looking forward to seeing them completed!

Dutch

Offline WD

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2024, 11:45:23 PM »
Great thread, Paul, these are litttle beauties, each and every one... I don't know which one is my favorite! I'd hate to have seen them coming, had I been flying a FE. I recently re-read No Parachute and Lee at one point talked about a Triplane easily breaking off a combat by climbing away, going up like he was in a lift. He and the others in 46 Sqdn viewed them with something like superstitious awe.

Dutch

Dutch, that book, and his other one, are my two favorite memoirs of the war in the air from WWI.

Paul, these are wonderful and I love this build thread.

Warren

Online DaddyO

« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2024, 12:18:03 AM »
Wonderful looking builds Paul.  Love the group shot!

Cheers Tim :D

Working on the base, which is lovely, but a dirty great knot on the edge means a bit of repair work and some careful painting to blend in the miliput  :o ;)

Dutch

Thanks Dutch. Must pick that one up.
I was reading about a combat from an Se5 pilot (I think) who described how when on the tail of one it just applied full rudder and skided away  :o

Paul, these are wonderful and I love this build thread.

Warren

Thanks Warren. Glad you're enjoying it so far. They are a bit rougher than I'd like in places, but I'm pretty pleased overall so far and it's good to get this one out of my system ;D

Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Offline NigelR

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2024, 07:52:38 PM »
They are looking fantastic Paul. Seems like you have got enough time to get the base done before Bovington.....

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2024, 08:07:12 PM »
It is always a great view, to see a couple of examples of the same type. Lovely job all around!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #95 on: February 02, 2024, 08:24:45 AM »
I agree with Prze - same-type builds are fascinating to see, especially when there's such variety in schemes. Great work!
Zac in NZ

Online DaddyO

« Reply #96 on: February 02, 2024, 05:26:13 PM »
They are looking fantastic Paul. Seems like you have got enough time to get the base done before Bovington.....

Cheers Nigel. Base now done so I'll bring them to Bovy next weekend  ;D

It is always a great view, to see a couple of examples of the same type. Lovely job all around!

Thank you Prze - they look nice grouped together; I'm all tripe'd out for a bit, but there are a couple of other schemes I'd like to do at some point . . . .

I agree with Prze - same-type builds are fascinating to see, especially when there's such variety in schemes. Great work!

Hi Zac. Thanks matey. Need to tone down the white cowls when I'm weathering them (I should have used a slightly off white tone in retrospect - ah well always next time) :o

As mentioned above the base is now made up and I'm working on dressing the figures suitably having sorted out the poses; I'll post a few pics of the finished models once they're weatherd a bit  :)

Paul
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 06:20:55 PM by DaddyO »

Online DaddyO

« Reply #97 on: March 13, 2024, 06:29:13 PM »
Right with the Albatros completed (and another model started)  :o it's time to get back to the pilots for the Dr1's.

These are based on 3d printed resin figures which I had in a box of various 1/72 plastic/resin figures. I've modified some poses so they work together as a group and re-dressed them all in more appropriate clothing using putty. (My preferred mix is 50% Duro and 50% Miliput or Magic Sculpt) A quick spray of primer revealed a few bits which needed tweaking hence the patchy colours on some. Pippart is showing some of his new charges a tactic and will be in a white jumper to help him stand out (jacket shown on the left will be slung over his Dr1 fuselage)

Hopefully get some paint on them this weekend and be able to focus on the next build . . .
Paul

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #98 on: March 14, 2024, 07:42:34 AM »
What an excellent touch!
Zac in NZ

Online DaddyO

« Reply #99 on: March 14, 2024, 05:38:08 PM »
What an excellent touch!

Thanks Zac  :)

Offline djuggie

« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2024, 10:18:18 PM »
Paul,

Excellent work on these beautiful aircraft and in 1/72nd.  For the detail you add, you seem to build very quickly.  Building more than one kit at a time can be a challenge.  And it was Phoen's fault.  After the release of his Sopwith Triplane sheet, I did the entire Black Flight, including Collishaw's twin machine version.

Your models are of a very high quality and a pleasure to watch the progress.

Dennis

Online DaddyO

« Reply #101 on: March 14, 2024, 11:27:15 PM »
Paul,

Excellent work on these beautiful aircraft and in 1/72nd.  For the detail you add, you seem to build very quickly.  Building more than one kit at a time can be a challenge.  And it was Phoen's fault.  After the release of his Sopwith Triplane sheet, I did the entire Black Flight, including Collishaw's twin machine version.

Your models are of a very high quality and a pleasure to watch the progress.

Dennis

Many thanks Dennis
I don't think of myself as a quick builder, but I do tend to have a lot of projects on the go at once which means they sometimes appear after each other quite quickly. I did find building four at once a real challenge, even with a simple model like the Dr1. Not sure I'd attempt as many again, but have got in mind a pair or two . . .

I agree the Pheon decal sheets have a lot to answer for - it was the gift of this decal set which started the ball rolling  :) Strangely enough the Dave (the chap who gave me the Dr1 sheet) pointed out a couple of other Pheon sheets at a recent show which were going cheap (including the Sopwith Triplane sheet) so I may need to abstain from buying any more decals for a while since I can't keep up with the backlog  ;D

Paul

Offline NigelR

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2024, 09:05:48 PM »
The figures look really nice Paul. Looking forward to seeing them painted up and on the base.

Offline Gene K

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2024, 11:55:57 PM »
These are based on 3d printed resin figures which I had in a box of various 1/72 plastic/resin figures.

Paul,

Did you print these yourself, and if so, can you give a link to the source files, please?

Thanks,
Gene K

Online DaddyO

« Reply #104 on: March 16, 2024, 01:40:58 AM »
The figures look really nice Paul. Looking forward to seeing them painted up and on the base.

Cheers Nigel  ;)

These are based on 3d printed resin figures which I had in a box of various 1/72 plastic/resin figures.

Paul,

Did you print these yourself, and if so, can you give a link to the source files, please?

Thanks,
Gene K

Hi Gene.
Sadly I'm not sure of the origin of the figures other than they were 3D printed civilians (I was given a box of suitably sized figures when I started 1/72 aircraft) For all of these I added flying clothing to them in putty after scraping away their original costumes. A couple also needed poses altering to make them fit in the group.

Cheers
Paul