Author Topic: HpH 1:32 scale resin Macchi M.5  (Read 39257 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: HpH 1:32 scale resin Macchi M.5
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »
Des, it is a bummer that the kit is so lacking in basic quality! On the other hand your skills are certainly making the Model look great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2015, 04:23:32 AM »
Des, it is a bummer that the kit is so lacking in basic quality! On the other hand your skills are certainly making the Model look great!
RAGIII
I agree with my amigo, Des!  You're bringing your usual high level of craftsmanship to this disappointing kit, just as you did with that Omega kit.  High price does not always translate to high quality.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline radio

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2015, 04:34:41 AM »
It would be nice if Ray reprinted the Datafile for this plane.
Martin

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2015, 08:50:14 PM »
Des, I totally agree with Bud and Rick.  Despite the many problems
with the kit, your talents are shining through.  To me it looks wonderful!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline macsporran

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2015, 12:22:19 AM »
I have been swithering over buying this kit since it's release but have been put off by the high price. This sort of money for a single seater really begs a quality of the order of WNW or similar, as far as I am concerned.
Can I express a personal thanks to you Des for your frank appraisal of the kit's shortcomings. Also my continuing unbounded admiration for your skill in turning this particular sow's ear into a silk purse!
Sandy

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2015, 03:05:22 AM »
You've still made a silk purse though. Attention Mr Aviattic..........

Steve

Offline Ronkootje

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2015, 03:22:33 AM »
Trust me guys the one we are making is up to standard, Des is doing a great job though.

Keep in mind that the datafile drawings are also not correct!

Ron

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2015, 07:37:38 AM »
Many thanks to the following people who have taken the time to look at my model and to leave very kind messages, Martin, Petrov, Lance, Rowan, Rick, Bud, Ernie, Sandy, Steve and Ron.

Rowan - thank you for posting the picture of the suspended floats, this will be excellent if I decide to change mine.

Ron, I look forward so much to the release of your kit, it will be a beauty. Thank you for your comments on my current build, I have never let a kit beat me and I am not going to let this one be the first.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline 15badcats

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2015, 11:52:00 AM »
I think your build looks great so far The harder the build the more proud you'll be of the finished kit I've always found and so far you have a lot to be proud of

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2015, 04:28:12 PM »
a real pity that the kit is giving you so much trouble, I know the feeling. On the other hand, a modeller like you is 100% able to turn it into showstopper. Still, sometimes we just want a relaxing build, without oo much hassle and when the build appeared soemthing completely different, the frustration is really there.
What can i Say of the build itself - it is forming really beautifully and th eengine itself is just WOW!

best regards,
Sasho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline mammut08

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2015, 12:30:04 AM »
Hi Des,

You build is looking great! I hope to make some progress on mine this week. One observation on your engine supports. There should be cross braces between all three uprights as shown in this photo.

Best,

Dave

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2015, 07:32:18 AM »
Thanks Dave for the info on the braces between the struts, I already have the front one fitted but have not as yet got around to fitting the centre and rear braces, I also have to fit all the eyelets for the engine support rigging, I will not rig it until it is fitted to the aeroplane. I painted the base coat then oil paint to simulate the timber fuselage, it is now in my heat box and will take a day or two to dry thoroughly.

Des.

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2015, 07:06:32 PM »
How disappointing to hear of all those deficiencies the kit as shown so far - nevertheless i still can not decide what impresses me more: The level of detail you are able to achieve, despite all those problems, or the skill you show with your photos.

Keep pressing one, please!

Stefan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #73 on: July 24, 2015, 02:29:05 PM »
I have added the 'wood' to the fuselage, for this I first base coated with Gunze H85 Sail Colour then Burnt Sienna oil paints, once it was all dry I sprayed a few light coats of clear yellow. I have also fitted the two magnetos, these are the ones designed by Bo and made by Shapeways, a brilliant product and very easy to assemble and paint, I had to modify the rear of the engine to accommodate the magnetos but I'm pleased that I did as they are a very essential part of the engine, I can't believe that HpH did not included them with the kit.

Des.

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #74 on: July 24, 2015, 02:54:27 PM »
Brilliant work all around, Des! That engine looks terrific!

George