Author Topic: Wingnut Junkers D.I  (Read 8566 times)

Offline KirkH

Re: Wingnut Junkers D.I
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2018, 01:17:19 AM »
Only three paint options?  WnW models usually have five, but since so few DI's were produced during the war I guess I can understand it.  Too bad they don't have any of the post-WWI paint schemes, but I assume that info simply isn't available.

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 01:23:47 AM »
The print on the side of the box says 5 options, and one of the three visible in the photo is from 1919, flown by Theo Osterkamp.

Rich

Offline KirkH

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2018, 01:36:02 AM »
Ah, OK.  I guess I didn't look close enough at the photos.  Either that or my tired, old eyes just didn't see what they should have seen.  Probably a bit of both.  Thanks.

Offline Jeff K

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2018, 03:18:51 AM »
Uschi has a video on Facebook that shows the options fairly well (even with the focus 'breathing'). Worth a look if you're on the fence with this one.

five is a massive portion of the entire production run though...

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2018, 04:34:51 AM »
five is a massive portion of the entire production run though...

Haha, that‘s true!!

Offline KirkH

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2018, 05:15:29 AM »
It actually makes me wonder.  Did the aluminum construction of the DI allow it to have a longer service life than aircraft of traditional construction?  I seem to remember reading somewhere that the lifespan of a traditional WWI aircraft such as the Camel was on the order of a few months.  If so, then maybe the 80 DI's produced by Junkers saw more service time than two or three times as many traditionally produced aircraft.  Just a thought.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 01:29:27 AM »
Really off-beat choice, typical WNW I would say! There are some sprue shots on the IPMS Germany site, too, showing some nice details in intricate moulding -such as the Fokker-type control stick with the combat throttles moulded in place, and some very delicate and curious looking framework (looks like a lower spar or something)

I'll wait until I see a few built, I like the curious and offbeat, but not one I'll go out and get immediately.
Somehow I was under the impression these had BMW engines, but I guess being wrong on that gives away my level of knowledge on this machine...!

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 07:35:03 AM »
Pre-order up on WnW site.

Offline jeroen_R90S

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 07:51:56 AM »
As are the instructions and a built-up model :)

Offline TonyP

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 09:31:25 AM »
I think I know where WNW got their inspiration for this.
It reminds me of the work of the artist Jeff Thompson, in particular this exhibit in Te Papa, the national museum of NZ in Wellington:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/assets/galleries/8400/full_1.jpg?1382995441

Tony P

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2018, 03:35:32 PM »
After going through the instructions, and inspecting the extensive research materials and source photos Wingnut Wings has so laboriously and painstakingly put together, I plan to get one and build it soon thereafter. The D.1 is an extremely significant aircraft technically and historically. With such a brief development period and constant changes and improvements and few service examples being built it is a flat out wonder that the Wingnut Wings crew did such a fantastic job of documenting the airplane's history and bringing us such a detailed and accurate model.

Thanks again!
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Chuckt5

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2018, 05:25:08 PM »
Just placed my pre order.  8)

I think this kit is going to bring new guys into WW1 aircraft that were scared previously of the rigging.

Maybe not the sexiest choice, but a very wise one on WNW's behalf.

;)

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2018, 04:22:16 AM »
I'm a bit curious about 'bringing people in who are scared of rigging'

What do they build next?

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline eclarson

« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2018, 04:28:58 AM »
I'm a bit curious about 'bringing people in who are scared of rigging'

What do they build next?

Richard

Something with very little or no rigging - Fokker D.VII, Hansa-Brandenburg W.12,  Junkers J.1, or Fokker Dr.1 (you didn't say it had to be WNW).

Then, once the fear has passed, move on to an Albatros or Pfalz.

Eric

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2018, 05:29:08 AM »
I suspect that it isn’t the fear of rigging that is at play, but the fear that it will be done wrong, or sloppily. I know guys who will happily apply four thousand stencil decals to their Navy jet fighter models but turn pale at the thought of stringing some monofilament or EZ Line into some holes or wire eyes. Strange....
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.