Author Topic: Washes  (Read 1013 times)

Offline jknaus

Washes
« on: January 18, 2015, 02:34:46 AM »
I hope this isnt a rehash. I have been using oil paint in odourless thinner for few years now. Usually I mix it up in a small plastic cup and use it a few days until it evaporates. Well recently I made a new batch of melted plastic, something I last did 35 odd years ago, in a used Tamiya glue bottle. As I have been saving these bottles I figured I should use them. So after making my wash  I put it in a clean bottle and will label it. As I get more bottles I can make different washes and save them too. So no wastage, a nice little point brush built in, a wash ready to use when I need it without having to make a batch, and a reuse of what otherwise would be garbage. Hope this is of some use to you.

James

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Re: Washes
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015, 03:54:39 AM »
Thanks! Excellent suggestion.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015, 06:34:32 AM »
Thanks James for the tip. I keep all of my empty Gunze paint bottles, they are easy to wash out and the labels fall off in water, so i have a really good collection of clean empty bottles just waiting for ideas like yours.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »
As others have said, excellent idea. Well done sir.

Warren

Offline jknaus

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2015, 11:19:41 AM »
I am saving my Tamiya jars for some paint mixes. The glue pot is great because it has a fine brush in it so should be very easy to do pin washes.
I also buy plastic eye dropper bottles but last time I got the wrong size at 5ml. If its okay I'll include the ebay addy of a place I'm going to try next. I dont know what they are like but they score 100% on 4K transactions. They have a good selection of sizes and inexpensive. Better than buying brand name. Great for mixing your paint and keeping handy.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/181261125364?var=480293465312
Not bad 100 15ml bottles for $15.00 US.

PS I havent bought from this seller yet so cant vouch for them, but these are the types of bottles and seller I bought  from last time.