Author Topic: What's on your build list?  (Read 3017 times)

Offline rhallinger

What's on your build list?
« on: January 09, 2013, 02:24:47 PM »
I'm curious about how others decide what to build next, particularly when the stash provides ample choice.  Do you have a priority list?  Does it get modified frequently? How do you decide the order?

I generally have in mind the next three to five builds or so, but the list gets changed for all sorts of reasons.  Sometimes a new WNW release bumps things. Or something like the two seater group build comes along and intervenes in my plans.  Somtimes I read something in a book or magazine that piques my interest.  For example, I just received the current issue of "Over the Front" yesterday, and it featured color profile and photos of Quentin Roosevelt's Nieuport 27 trainer, which I was unfamiliar with, and which I now really want to build along with his Nieuport 28.  I also just read "September Evening" a book about Werner Voss, and F.1 103/17 is high on my list.

Anyway, here is my current 1/32 build list, following completion of the Group Build Lloyd C.V:

1.  Encore Fokker F.1 103/17 of Werner Voss.
2.  Roden Nieuport 27E.1 N.8655, Lt. Quentin Roosevelt.
3.  Academy Sopwith Camel, Belgian AF, Pilot Jan Oleislager, 1918.
4.  Roden Nieuport 28 N.6177, 96th Aero Sq., Lt. Quentin Roosevelt
5.  WNW Albatros D.V, scheme to be determined.
6.  An Italian fighter, either a Special Hobby Nieuport 11, an Academy Nieuport 17 or a Hobbycraft SPAD XIII.
7.  WNW Pfaltz D.iiia, Rudolph Berthold, Jasta 18.

I am sure this wil change by the time I finish the Lloyd, although I think the Voss F.1 is pretty solid for next.

So, what do your build lists look like?

Regards,

Bob

Offline Old Man

Re: What's on your build list?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »
I like to think of it as a sort of quantum cloud of probabilities, Sir. There are things I am actually working on, things I am pretty sure I will get to doing, and then there are the things that just come up out of the aether and seem like just the thing to do....

The first group consists of an Airfix R.E.8, well under way, an Eduard N-17 (which bobbed up out of the aether just this weekend), and a Monogram Curtiss FllC-2.

Sort of between the first and second group is a conversion, making a Fokker AII out of two Eduard EIII kits (with some scratch-built bits); this is a project I started long ago, and am reviving after getting Mr. Jacobs' 'Fokker Compendium' recently.

The second group is a bit larger. A Revell P-26 (with considerable corrections) is pretty definite, as a display companion for recently done B-17D; the Fortress was at Pearl Harbor in 1941, and the P-26 will be one based there in 1940. A scratch-built Vickers F.B. 19 Mk. II is pretty definite; I recently got the Windsock on this, and have long contemplated doing one of these based in the Middle East. I am pretty sure I will be doing a Frog Blenheim Mk. I (east o' Suez in '38 or 39), in part as a vehicle for practice in some new techniques of scribing and painting. I have promised myself to relax with a low-wing, fixed gear monoplane pretty much straight out of the box soon, an MPM A-17 from the U.S. Army's blue and yellow period. Out on the edges of the 'likely' cloud are an Eduard S.P.A.D. 13 in U.S.A.A.C post-war finish (17th Pursuit Squadron), a Revell (ex-Matchbox) Fury done as one of the S.A.A.F. 1st Squadron machines at the Kenya-Ethiopia border in June 1940, a Monogram Curtiss P-6E (in olive and yellow, probably 94th P.S.), and a Special Hobby Curtiss BF2C-1.

Things sort of looming in the aether include a P-40b in various guises (in a just for the hell of it spirit, a rectification of the old Academy kit is a real possibility; it would end up in foil finish, an early production example at the Air Corps Technical School), a post-war U.S. Navy Camel or Nieuport 28, an Eduard Dh 2, or even a scratch-built Dh-1a, with 14 Squadron, but of course part of this third group is precisely the unanticipated urge....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 03:25:01 PM by Old Man »

Offline IvotB

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 07:23:23 PM »
It's a random process. I can't really tell you about a list. There is always a large amount of unfinished projects. I am more a beginner than a finisher, although lots of projects are finished. My main problem during the modelbuilding is that along the way I discover more information about the model and I want to try to model those as well. And sometimes there is then just too much detail. Letting an unfinished model rest is then sometimes a way of either finding a solution of how to proceed or accepting the realised level of detail.

If I look at my stash I find that there is already too much in it to ever get made by me in my lifetime. And then there is a new release like the WNW Fokker D.VII and I just can't resist.

But I had to build one or more WNW models and the D.VII is my first WNW and first 1:32 model.

There are already a number of projects lined up for 2013, but they are mainly railway models in 1:87.

The discovery of this forum, during the preparation of the D.VII build however, might or will influence my choice for the next model. I must say that this forum is a huge encouragement for me to go forward with other projects. There is already a WNW Sopwith Pup, that should be realised as an LVA version as well, waiting to be build for more than 2 years.

But the choice of a mainly a combination of things I read in a magazine, see on a forum, or a new kit on the market and sometimes a review of my stash of kits.

I hope to interest my son (or my daughters, why not) for modelling. It could give my stash a good destination. I already have him started at building Revell, Italeri and Airfix kits of the usual subjects like Spitfire, Hurricane, etc. He likes it, but he likes his Nintendo DS, Wii and computergames better.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 08:24:15 PM »
Always a shifting target...

1/ Finish WnW Fokker EIII which is almost done

2/ Return to WNW Albatros DVa which is half done before I got distracted by the Fokker

3/ Change to four wheels for Tamiya 1/24 Porsche 956 in Skoal Bandit colours

4/ 1/32 Europe (very obsolete French kit) 1891 Panhard.

5/ Time to get aerial again...WnW RE8 with Pheon decals to make the TVAL version now at Hendon which I was luck enough to fly in before it left NZ

6/ While the RE8 is taking shape, continue the dismantling and upgrading of the Pocher 1/8 Alfa Romeo Monza I built twenty plus years
 ago

Then there is the WnW Gotha, WnW Fe2B (late version), the very early Bandai 1/12 Matra V12 F1 car, Heller 1/24 Delahaye fire engines (x 2), 1/24 Citroen 5CV, Renault Paris bus and P4 Ferrari and on it goes...

The WnW Salmson will be added to the stash as soon as it is released, and as I flew in the TVAL FE2B early version in November, I best get one of those as well... such a pity boring things like work and the full size projects in the garage interfere with my spare time for models.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 10:13:17 PM »
Thanks for the interesting and thorough responses!  It's fascinating to me how we are influenced.  I neglected to mention the rather large portion of my stash devoted to 1/48 WWII aircraft also awaiting attention.  I still can't help myself.  Just last week I bought some very cool Avro Lancaster 1/48 nose art decals because I liked them (the redhead in the green cocktail dress beckoned)!  Now I need a Tamiya 1/48 Lancaster kit. ;D  I'm beyond help . . .  ;)

Regards,

Bob

Offline gcn

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2013, 10:43:55 PM »
I can't build more one thing at a time, if I do then neither get done. I also dont subscribe to having a stash (well I have about 10 kits) so the choice of what comes next isn't huge.

I'm currently attempting the WNW DH2 and next up could be the Eindecker or their Rumpler, i'm not sure after that it could be anything including something I don't yet own.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:29:23 PM »
I only build one model at a time as that gives me the discipline to finish it. After I finish my Bristol Fighter, I plan to build DML's new 1/35 Sexton SP kit in Canadian markings. When that's done, I may tackle the Tamiya He-219 Owl in 1/48 scale, just because it looks interesting.

I find that if I continually build one type of model, I drift towards AMS and that can lead to dangerous waters for me as I run the risk of a dampened enthusiasm for model building. It's best for me to change things up periodically, just to keep the fun factor alive and well.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »
I usually do one at a time but last year I had breaks away from the WNW Late Fee and made 3x 1:72 models in the meantime.

At present, I have started the Mirage Halberstadt during a recent business trip, but have also just started the WNW Roland.  I will try and do these in parallel, by doing similar components together to shave a bit of time off painting etc.  I still have an incomplete Revell Samba Bus, and my stash is ever growing.  I have a GB committed to on another forum for a Roden 1:72 Junkers D1, and I would love to make a start on the WNW EII and Tripe.  The latter two will have to wait.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 12:29:57 AM »
Ha - yeah this is tough for me - I really need to move to only one model at a time to be able to finish anything! Current builds underway:

1. Roden SSWDIII in Dembowski markings 90% complete
2. WNW Pfalz DIIIa in Stark markings 90% complete
3. WNW Fokker DVII in Udet markings 25% complete
4. Academy N17 50% complete
5. WNW HB29 50% complete

Sad I know....
 :-\
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 02:16:09 AM »
   Like many others I only have one Build going at any time, combo of short memory and restricted building space. I work very slowly, tending to get caught up in severe bouts of AMS and, what I would similiarly call "detail freaking". Presently I'm bogged down on the WNW Brisfit Falcon Engine which has endless possibilities for detailling; I keep adding just one more thing.
   I hope to get a start on one of the WNW Pfalz Kits in my stash next, probably the DXII, but then there's the Roland beckoning and, wait there's more...............the 3 DVII's I got for Christmas and then I've got the Eindecker Books and a Late EIII that I've chosen the scheme for, and then, and then, and then......... maybe SWMBO is right, I need help!
    So much to do and not nearly enough time.
Cheers,
Lance :(

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 02:25:28 AM »
  I still ahve to finish my SPAD XIII,Sopwith Camel and a Nieuport 28 first. Although I'm not currently building anything I hope to resume my hobby ASAP.Time will tell I guess.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 03:13:15 AM »
Like many of you, I really can only build one model at a time, although I persist in trying to do multiple builds.  The result is a number of unfinished projects either sitting on the corner of my bench or tucked away in the cabinet.  My current build, an Eduard Oeffag D.II conversion, is the result of sorting through these bench queens trying to finish them up.  I still have an Aeroclub RE8 and a Roden SE5a in various stages of incompletion.  An Eduard SPAD XIII, a Blue Max Phonix D.I, a Roden DH9 and several Karaya kits have all nudged their way closer to the head of the queue, prompted by a couple group builds elsewhere.  I have a rather large stash, over 160 1/48 scale WWI kits and 4 WNW kits, so like some of you, my build list is very dynamic. ;)
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline drdave

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2013, 06:35:38 AM »
Probably....
WNW Tripe
Albatros DVa
Fokker DVII
Pfalz III
A2Z M1c
Roland
Pfalz XII
DH2

might do a Stormovik to break the rigging up.

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 06:57:18 AM »
Hmmm the list of probability today is:
  WNW Pup
            DVII
  Roden Dr1
  Hasey Ju87D8....please ignore....
  and a Noop

Thats the plan anway......

Steve

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 07:08:59 AM »
One at a time for me also, from start to finish with no interruptions, even if I get bogged down I still only work on the one kit, waiting for paint to dry gives me the chance to get out and do some yard work. I don't really have a plan on what to build next, I keep buying new kits so what thoughts I did have evaporate as soon as the new kit arrives. I am also always think about my next scratch build, the Caudron G3, I have been collecting all available information so at this stage it 'might' be next, depends on what new kits arrive next week, damn, i will have to stop buying kits, I'm getting too old.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com