Author Topic: Nieuport 17 Triplane, Eduard 1/48, 27.5.2022 Aileron control  (Read 5339 times)

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
Re: Nieuport 17 Triplane, Eduard 1/48, 17.2.2022 Cockades
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2022, 06:13:05 PM »
Very neat airbrushing. Masking always makes me tremble, no matter if it is plastic or resin.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline WD

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2022, 01:54:45 AM »
As others have said, that tail skid is a work of art.
Beautiful roundels, great masking. I wish I had gotten some DB paint when it was available.

WD

Online Dirigible-Al

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2022, 02:44:42 AM »
Excellent work Frank.
Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Bughunter

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2022, 05:57:28 AM »
Thank you Zac, Rick, PrzemoL, WD and Alan!

Very neat airbrushing. Masking always makes me tremble, no matter if it is plastic or resin.
Since I draw the masks in Inkscape I create a second layer, here a cut at the diameter in the middle of the white. While spraying blue I can protect the red area with the inner circle, then cover the blue with the outer ring to spray red.
That way is much easier, no bleeding on the border of the masks 8)

I hope my description was good enough, since I forgot pictures during the process.
If not I can can try to make pictures while doing the cockade on the fuselage. I have not done them in parallel because I'm waiting for the decals of the serial number on the rudder. The decals are marked with 1/48 but I do not know the real size:
- if the numbers are to small I will do the "N1388", which had no cockades on the fuselage.
- if the numbers are ok I will do the "A6686" and add the cockades on the fuselage

I wish I had gotten some DB paint when it was available.
There are two sides to this!
I ordered some of the paints for testing and got glass bottles: I really like the color shades and they spray great.
So I ordered more of them later even the price was high (compared to Tamiya and Gunze) and shipping also not cheap. I got all of them in plastic bottles. So far so good.
I may build a lot of models, but not that much and the planes are not big so I expect that the colors are usable for a long time. But I noticed a smell and realized a bad thing: The thinner has diffused through the plastic bottles! The paints were very thick even with  refilled thinner.
So I ordered 25 glass bottles in the net and spend the whole afternoon today to rescue my investment. After a lot of shaking and cleaning the paints are now in new glass bottles. Especially the mixed paints were problematic and the pigments separated, but I want to have the complete mixture in the new bottles.
BTW, the paint in the original glass bottles are as fresh as on the first day.

So no work on this Triplane.

Cheers,
Frank

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2022, 09:22:58 AM »
Quote from: Bughunter
Since I draw the masks in Inkscape I create a second layer, here a cut at the diameter in the middle of the white. While spraying blue I can protect the red area with the inner circle, then cover the blue with the outer ring to spray red.
That way is much easier, no bleeding on the border of the masks 8)

That is clear, thanks for the explanation. Yet, I was rather referring to my trembling about peeling the masks, not to problems with paint bleed. I am always scared I will tear off the paint. Or the decals, if there is losenge ...  ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline WD

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2022, 09:39:20 AM »

There are two sides to this!
I ordered some of the paints for testing and got glass bottles: I really like the color shades and they spray great.
So I ordered more of them later even the price was high (compared to Tamiya and Gunze) and shipping also not cheap. I got all of them in plastic bottles. So far so good.
I may build a lot of models, but not that much and the planes are not big so I expect that the colors are usable for a long time. But I noticed a smell and realized a bad thing: The thinner has diffused through the plastic bottles! The paints were very thick even with  refilled thinner.
So I ordered 25 glass bottles in the net and spend the whole afternoon today to rescue my investment. After a lot of shaking and cleaning the paints are now in new glass bottles. Especially the mixed paints were problematic and the pigments separated, but I want to have the complete mixture in the new bottles.
BTW, the paint in the original glass bottles are as fresh as on the first day.

So no work on this Triplane.

Cheers,
Frank

Frank,
          I hate plastic bottles for this very reason. I have some old hobby paint from my youth (early/mid 70's) in glass bottles (that somehow survived 40+ years of moving) that are still good to this day.  :DI have paint I ordered in plastic bottles that's never been opened that I ordered and put up five years ago. All ruined for being in plastic bottles.  :'(

WD

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2022, 04:54:43 AM »
Top notch Frank !

Alexis
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2022, 10:33:06 PM »
Your painted roundels look very good, Frank.  Also, nice work on the landing gear.

Bughunter

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2022, 12:44:47 AM »
Thank you Alexis and Ken!

This project is on hold.
Stephen helped with decals numbers, but even with stated the serial numbers in 1/48 they were much to small. But that numbers will be a great addition to other projects.
Now I had a different idea and still waiting for a delivery.

Cheers,
Frank

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2022, 06:13:16 AM »
Standing by patiently with interest!
Zac in NZ

Bughunter

Nieuport 17 Triplane, Eduard 1/48, 19.3.2022 Rudder
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2022, 07:06:14 AM »
Content removed due to violation of forum rules.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 01:49:10 AM by Bughunter »

Offline RAGIII

Re: Nieuport 17 Triplane, Eduard 1/48, 19.3.2022 Rudder
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2022, 08:02:29 AM »
The serial number look terrific
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2022, 09:37:47 AM »
Very nice Rudder, Frank!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2022, 05:17:27 AM »
Certainly solved the rudder serial problem Frank!

Quite right that a real aeroplane is taking priority - keep it up!!

Stephen.

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2022, 07:33:56 AM »
That looks great, congratulations on clearing that hurdle!

And they are able to print white!
I have a few builds that are stalled for want of white decals - excellent news, thanks for the heads-up Frank!
Zac in NZ