Author Topic: WNW Sopwith Tripe - N5376 Black Sheep  (Read 14631 times)

Offline Ian from Doncaster

WNW Sopwith Tripe - N5376 Black Sheep
« on: January 12, 2014, 05:56:52 AM »
I have just started on this model, with Pheon decals on the way to do a Black Flight version "Black Sheep" N5376.

This is nothing to do with any particular pilot, more I like the appearance.  I am leaning towards "Black Sheep" as that was/is the name of the brewery operated by the Theakston family after their original one was sold to S&N.  To me, that's as good a reason as any to choose a certain finish!

Thanks also to Rowan for further advice on correlating the options in the WNW kit to N5376, as the main box does not have a similar aircraft in its offerings.  N5376 was a Clayton & Shuttleworth built aircraft with one machine gun.

As per my usual habit I start with either the seat or the propeller. In this case, the prop.  I understand that whilst British props were laminate in construction, they were not made of dissimilar woods, therefore (in model scale) it would be almost impossible to discern the laminations with same colour woods.  I have used a dark earth base coat then an oil mix as shown below.  The oils need their week to dry before the klear is applied.

Then I made the engine, which in this kit is mainly very simple to assemble.  I painted the components with Mr Metal stainless, with a thin coat of dark iron on the cylinders.  I first used invisible thread painted black for the plug cables, but they were too fragile and I lost 9 of 18.  so today I replaced them with EZ Line which took the CA much better - one line has come off at one end, as seen below, but I can correct that later.  There is supposed to be a brass collar (?) at the base of each push rod, but I found that too difficult to paint successfully, so rather than have a messy result, I stripped the component and just painted it all steel.  Here the engine sits on the firewall on the sprue just for the pics.

I then cut out some of the major structural components for a dry fit.  WNW Sopwiths do have a reputation for a tight tolerance and any excess paint can mean the bottom wing doesn't go right.  On this dry fitting, it fits perfectly so far - I picked the components that have a direct effect on the fit of the fuselage halves and bottom wing, although I will also dry fit the seat supports etc before painting.  I will use the pics as a reference for where to mask the joining surfaces, to avoid the fit issues.  For example, the bottom rail of each side frame sits on the floor panel, so I will use Bob's strippers to mask on the panel the areas where the frames sit, and vice versa.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:01:35 AM by Ian from Doncaster »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: WNW Sopwith Tripe - N5376 Black Sheep
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 06:33:41 AM »
Your engine turned out superb Ian, the colours you used are perfect. You are correct with what you said about the propeller and yours looks just right, I will be following this build with great interest.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Pup Cam

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 07:46:47 AM »
Wahoo, another fantastic Tripehound!

Looks lovely so far, will be watching with interest.

Alan

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:14:36 PM »
That's a great start, Ian. I've just started mine, so will be happily learning from your, and the other, builds.

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 12:56:49 PM »
The engine looks absolutely perfect, Ian.  Wonderful work!  I will be sure
to watch your build with much interest.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:19:56 PM »
Ian,
O agree with all of the others of course! Beautiful engine and a great start to this one!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 09:29:58 PM »
Thanks folks.. :)

Early days, but I am planning on a "clean" model this time around, so I will have to be very careful with my painting etc - I have used "weathering" before to hide mistakes and imperfections....

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »
Hi Ian,

Your engine looks absolutely magnificent. I'm so glad to see another trīpe build. Keep up the great work!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2014, 12:02:25 AM »
Ian,
   Great start and I'll be following closely. I just recently completed this one and hope to do a second in future, it's a magnificent Kit. Great choice of schemes too, watch the nuances of the Clayton and Shuttleworth Builds such as the nose cowling panels and cellon inspection windows, the References are very confusing and contradictory! ???
Cheers,
Lance

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2014, 12:54:13 AM »
Thanks again.

yes Lance, there are some variations to look out for - Rowan has kindly pointed me in the right direction and looking carefully in the WNW instructions there are some comments against old pics that refer back to part such as the inspection windows, and the cowlings for this one which are not part of the 5 box options.

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »
Played around with a few more bits today.  Bearing in mind the potential fit issues, I painted the floor having masked the edges where the side frames will go, using Bob's 1mm strippers.  The second pic shows the floor complete with wooden formers and the bar that sits in front of the control column also painted.

I painted the seat, as per the instructions.  I prefer the cushion as a separate component, but this is a whole seat in one.

Floor panel during painting, you can see the effect of bob's strip by comparing the top and bottom edges.

Finished panel

Seat, supposed to be a leather cushion on a metal seat frame painted black.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:30:43 PM by Ian from Doncaster »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2014, 11:46:44 PM »
Terrific update. I am sure your caution in taping off the areas that the frames will attach to will result in better fit overall. Sanding the cockpit floor so that it drops into the corresponding space in the lower wing is the biggest "Opportunity". Not too difficult with some careful test fitting.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2014, 11:52:45 PM »
I had to sand the floor of the WNW Pup, but that was my very first WNW model and I was ignorant of any fit issues.  The dry fit with no paint shows that the parts do fit.  I just need to be careful with every mating surface that can effect the fit within the fuselage and bottom wing.  This will extend I guess to the end sections of the cross members which support the seat, as well as the fitting holes/lugs themselves.  Also, the frame rigging needs to go inside the frames - a mistake I also made on the Pup.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2014, 11:58:55 PM »
Hello Ian:

It looks like you are off to a good start on this kit.  I too use EZ line for my plug wires, makes it so much easier.  I also use it on the german Parabellum Machine guns to simulate that rod from the barrell to the magazine drum, and control rods for the throttle and spark advance assemblies.  So much easier.  I am looking forward to seeing you work through this build.  I have one in the stash, but right now am stuck on DVII's. 

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 02:54:47 AM »
I'm really looking forward to watching this one unfold, Ian.  Can't have too many Tripes, I say.  Looks like you've learned from all the previous builds and I appreciate your compilation of these lessons in photos, especially since my wife bought this kit for me for Christmas.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence