Author Topic: Luftschiffmotorboot 1/144  (Read 525 times)

Offline Dirigible-Al

Luftschiffmotorboot 1/144
« on: May 02, 2024, 12:02:12 AM »
The LM boote of the Kaiserliche Marine were the forerunners of the later and better known S-Boats. During the Great War Germany, Like Britain, requisitioned many private and corporately owned boats for military and naval use (some of which are great subjects in their own right). Amongst the fishing boats, motor launches, yachts, passenger boats, barges and steamers to name but a few the motor boats pressed into service were to be used to destroy the submarine nets and other obstacles put along the coast of Flanders to stop U-boats getting into the open sea. These defences were patrolled by the Royal Navy and the German motor boats were too small to mount any significant weapon and had only their speed to protect them. By 1916 however not even this was sufficient and faster boats that were armed were needed both to carry out the work of the motor boats and be a threat to some of the patrolling anti submarine craft. The LM boote were built for this purpose and were capable of over 30 knots. Three Maybach CX straight six engines drove three propellers, the engines used in airships hence the name. The first production batch LM1-6 had four boats armed with a 37mm cannon and two with 450mm torpedo tubes. The latter had the torpedoes bow mounted, a disadvantage being they couldn't be fired above the speed of 20 knots or they could run into them (and that could end very badly). These entered service in 1917. The second batch LM7-21 were all torpedo armed. The third and final production batch LM22-33 were to have two armed with cannons to replace two lost and the rest torpedoes but not all were completed due to the Armistice. They were manufactured by Nalgo, Roland, Friedrich Lurssen and Oertz. Probably the most notable action by the LM boote was when seven of them raided a group of ships anchored off Dunkirk during the night of August 22-23, 1917. Two torpedoes stuck a destroyer leaving it on fire and listing heavily but remaining afloat.

I am just finishing one project and was about to crack on with the Praga I have, with embarrassment, not touched for a while despite starting a thread. The poor old Praga will have to wait a bit longer now. Six months is one hell of a challenge for me as I am probably the slowest modeller on the site but I will try. There's very little information on the LM Boot so if anyone has any further information, in particular photos or pictures, they would be really appreciated. So far I have made photocopies of the GA's and next I will built a plastic card and filler hull. Sorry it's not a Pfalz or SE5a but I hope Dave would like it all the same if he were to be ably to see it where he is now.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline NigelR

Re: Luftschiffmotorboot 1/144
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 06:36:05 PM »
This is fascinating and I'm sure Dave would approve :)

Offline William Adair

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 10:20:21 PM »
Fascinating is exactly the word I was thinking too. Really looking forward to this  :)

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 10:58:17 PM »
Very interesting project! I'm looking forward to this one  ;D
//Ben

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2024, 12:10:58 AM »
Unusual and interesting subject. I look forward to your build.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2024, 08:13:07 AM »
What a cool subject! Looking forward to seeing this one progress!

Cheers,

BC

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2024, 10:04:16 PM »
Thank you for your comments Nigel, William, AJ, Brad and RAGIII. I started cutting out a skeletal frame for the hull with the intention of then filling it but then considered that is a bit nuts on something this small. Instead I turned to an old and trusted friend - dense foam. I carved the hull out using templates from the plans and sanded it the same way. Dense foam has it's problems, it is very easy to over sand it because its very soft and once that is done there is nothing you can do to rectify it. The deck is slightly domed which is common on MTB's but not as much as the Thorneycrofts and MAS boats, this will make skinning it with plasticard either hard or impossible so I need to figure out a solution to that (part of the cockpit is covered by the deck). Next job is to cut out the cockpit and the torpedo tube tunnel, then I can soak the foam in superglue to make it possible to stick things too it.
Thanks for looking in, Alan.
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2024, 11:51:56 PM »
Fantastic Start!
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2024, 03:34:02 AM »
This is an unusual and interesting subject. I will be following with much interest.

Stephen.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 06:53:56 PM »
Great start, and soooo small!

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2024, 08:55:26 PM »
Great progress! Looks very interesting!  ;D
//Ben

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2024, 07:19:31 AM »
Thanks for your comments RAGIII, Ben and Stephen. Nigel, it is 11.1cm long so although that is really small for a 1/144 naval subject it is about the same length as some 1/48 aircraft fuselages but I have to confess 1/72 would be a better scale for this.

I've not got much further but thought I would update anyway because I will be doing a fair bit of painting, polishing back, painting, polishing back again, painting ect until it is glass smooth. This will take time.

I cut out the cabin and in doing so went so close to the edge the walls were actually semi transparent and I could see the scalpel behind them. I white glued two cardboard guides to sand the groove for the torpedo tube. The tool I used was a lollipop stick with sandpaper glued around it. I found a pen refill that is the right size for the torpedo tube. This was cut to shape and the hole in the middle made bigger by glueing sandpaper around an extra big paperclip and running it inside.

I found that to make dense foam hard and sand-able it needs a very thinned coat of varnish then a normal coat once that has soaked in. After this has dried a coat of superglue and it becomes a different beast altogether. The varnish goes on first because otherwise the superglue applicator will pull lumps out of the foam. I thought I would skip the varnish on this because it is so small it would take seconds to put the glue on, not enough time to cause any mischief. I was wrong, the applicator pulled chunks out of the foam and deposited bits of those chunks elsewhere on the boat which instantly set. The biggest chunk was on the bow where the torpedo tube ends and the dense foam is at its thinnest. All this I can fix without carving another hull but it does involve a fair bit of filler and sanding. I would have needed to do some painting and sanding anyway as the surface is always a little rough.

Thanks for looking in, Alan.

Offline NigelR

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2024, 06:19:00 PM »
Goodness, that's a lot of work. You are reminding me why I like building kits...... But keep going, this will be fascinating to watch it all come together.

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2024, 03:36:38 AM »
Nigel, I have the ability to make cock ups of the same magnitude in both kits and scratch builds. The annoying thing about this is I needn't of bothered with making guide rails and a custom built file when I have ended up bunging loads of filler in it in the end. I put tape around the waste end of the pen refill I am using for the torpedo tube and shoved the filler around that. Now I just have to wait for it to harden.
Alan.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2024, 11:00:36 AM »
I am always amazed at the processes in scratch building! I look forward to seeing the processes come together!
RAGIII