Author Topic: Henri Farman HF-27, S.A.A.C, 'North of the Swakop River', June, 1915  (Read 6111 times)

Online lone modeller

Re: Henri Farman HF-27, S.A.A.C, 'North of the Swakop River', June, 1915
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 04:59:46 AM »
A wonderful model (as usual) and a very interesting history of the S W Africa campaign and other theatres in which this machine was deployed. Hitherto I knew nothing of these machines - another interesting little known type. Thanks for all.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 06:46:28 AM »
Absolutely wonderful model, particularly the rigging, OM!  I also enjoyed the
history included...very, very interesting.  Thanks for both, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »
Amazing work and a very unique subject. Thanks for taking the time to post not only the pictures of your work, but the photos and history of the subject as you've laid out. Well done indeed!
Cheers,
Gary

WarrenD

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 10:08:44 AM »
Incredibly wonderful build, and a great history lesson to boot sir.

Warren

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 12:17:00 AM »
That's amazing model, OM

Congrats!

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline Old Man

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 11:34:10 AM »
Congratulations, OldMan. Another fantastic model to your scratch-built collection!

Thank you very much, Sir!

Means a lot to me.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 11:36:24 AM »
Beautifully done OM, the entire model is extremely well executed with excellent detailing but the rigging stands out, it is brilliant.

Des.

Thank you very much, Sir. Lrd save me, I like to rig. With this it was necessary anyway; from the moment the upper wing went on till the time it was fully rigged, it was a very dicey proposition to pick the thing up, even by the nacelle,

Offline Old Man

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 11:37:43 AM »
This is wonderfull! An excllent model, presented perfectly with supporting archive pictures, great story and convincing base. I'm going to take my notebook and start actually taking notes how the things should be done!

Congratulations!

Thank you very much, Sir. Though I consider my build logs more cautionary tales than exemplary accounts....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 11:39:19 AM »
Wonderful OM what a beauty!!! Really interesting aircraft,great potted history,Bravo!

Thank you very much, Sir.

I had no idea these things got around quite so much when I first got the idea to build one. It has been an education for me.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 11:43:13 AM »
Old Man,
A Brilliant job on this one from beginning to end! I enjoyed watching your process as always! Like Des said the rigging truly stands out! Lovely base and the History as always sets the whole thing off!
RAGIII

This one would have been easier if I had been able to start earlier, had more of my research and my specific subject nailed down from the start.

In regards to the history element, I lucked into an embarrassment of riches; that campaign was deeply strange in many ways, and I was tempted to put much more in that I eventually settled on.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 11:47:18 AM »
Great work, OM. I always enjoy your unique Models and the history lessons almost more so! Keep up the wonderful work, your contributions here are much looked forward to!
Cheers,
Lance

Thank you very much, Sir. I suppose there probably is not another model of this one anywhere. As is often the case, it really ought not to be so obscure, if only owing to how far-flung its use was.

I got very lucky in looking into the history; getting a scan of Capt. Wallace's report was a real treat.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 11:50:29 AM »
Brilliant job, indeed! A really wonderful and most impressive multi media presentation. Absolutely fascinating story and model.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

I was pleasantly surprised t find as much as I did out there on the campaign, photographs particularly.

It was some years ago I last went looking for information on that Roland 'stahl-doppledekker' and there was but one photograph, which it was not clear related to the machine in Africa. Now there are several, and a simple period general arrangement drawing....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »
Absolutely gorgeous, OM, and the background info is much appreciated!

Ian

Thank you, Sir.

Glad you like it. The African campaigns are overlooked, and deserve more focus. It was, after all, a wprld war....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 01:38:13 PM »
What an interesting and well written read this was. Love the model also. Thanks very much for the history.
James

Thank you, Sir.

I do like to tell a story with a model. Not lways possible, but in this case, it turned out to be quite a tale, a ripping yarn, even....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 01:42:17 PM »
What an extraordinary model, OM!  Very impressive.  The finish is beautiful and the tail markings look fantastic, but as others have noted, the rigging really sets it apart.  As always, your history lesson is informative and pleasure to read. (And I thought Europe was a political quagmire at the turn of the century!) 
I'm inspired to try and follow your build log and attempt one of these in 1/48 scale.  Someday.
Cheers,
Bud

Thank you, Sir.

Wife contrived the logo, the '3' is trimmed out of an '8' on a PM "Baghdad Fury' decal sheet, which providentially looked about the right font.

A rebellion starting in rear of an invasion force is not too common an event.