Author Topic: Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.III and D.V  (Read 5719 times)

Offline FAf

Re: Eduard 1/48 Albatros D.III and D.V
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2019, 07:43:07 AM »
Thank you for the suggestions, Lance! I'll pick up a tube of raw sienna and give it a try. Your model looks great! /Fredrik

Offline FAf

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2019, 12:21:02 AM »
So progress has been slower than hoped for, but small steps also take you in the right direction. I didn't really fancy trying to change the wood finish on the D.V so I just kept on going with the colours I started out with. The fuselage wood is done now and there has been some masking for the green stripes on the tail as well. Next up should be clear coat, some decals and then some masking... /Fredrik

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2019, 01:11:43 AM »
Looking lovely Fredrik  ;D

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Robin

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2019, 01:23:14 AM »
Looks great and it seems you love advanced masking. ;D

Robin
Found my mojo and clipped it's wings, so it won't fly away.

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2019, 05:19:58 AM »
Just found this - welcome to the forum and what a start! Two first class models and considering that you are still learning how to achieve wood effects, you are doing extremely well. The Albatro V is going to be a show stopper when it is finished.

Stephen.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2019, 05:47:53 AM »
Just My Opinion but I think the wood looks AWESOME!  ;D
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline FAf

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2019, 08:03:52 PM »
Thank you all for the positive comments!

Just found this - welcome to the forum and what a start! Two first class models and considering that you are still learning how to achieve wood effects, you are doing extremely well. The Albatro V is going to be a show stopper when it is finished.

Stephen.

Stephen, I'm more pleased with the results than I thought I would be, even if I don't consider them first class. The pair of them had been sitting half built in a box for years before I started with this blog. And you know how it is, suddenly you don't really understand why the build stalled in the first place... there wasn't that much more to do, so why wasn't it finished?!

Just My Opinion but I think the wood looks AWESOME!  ;D
RAGIII

Well, even if it is just Your opinion, I still value it! Thanks! I realise that it's difficult not to make the wood panels connect over the panels. I should probably have masked off each to avoid having the brush strokes travel across. Next time!
/F

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 11:31:41 AM »
Not to bad at all actually , really like your tones with in the wood  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2019, 09:39:24 PM »
I, too, like the rich wood tones.

Offline FAf

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2019, 07:52:09 AM »
Thank you Terri and Kensar, sorry for the late reply.

Things are moving forward with the D.V - green paint and decals. I was a little careless when masking for the green. You can see the diffuse areas where the surfaces change direction. Look at it from 40 or more centimetres and it looks fine. I have a hunch that something is wrong with Eduard's lozenge decals, but didn't bother checking if that's the case this time. If anyone knows, feel free to enlighten me even if I won't change anything this time.

/Fredrik

Offline Robin

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2019, 08:49:39 AM »
Despite the very minor masking mistake....the tail looks beautiful.
Besides...the photo's you're showing are much larger than the kit, so I guess the little mistakes are hardly visible "IRL".

The lozenge looks off, but what's right?
I like the lozenge made by MicroSculpt, Aviattic and Mirage, but that's because I find them "pleasing to the eye", not because I know they're accurate.
Lozenge is a subject of endless debate and I don't think we'll ever see the end of it. :P

Robin  :)

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2019, 05:42:10 PM »
Sunglasses on!

Tail looks lovely Fredrik.

As for lozenge, the Wingnuts version looks a little too bold and blocky to my eye. Aviattic and others do alternatives. Aviattic also do cookie cut lozenge (cut to shape) for the Alby, and a faded version that looks awesome to me!

Great job though.. Wood looks super too..

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline FAf

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 02:56:15 AM »
Despite the very minor masking mistake....the tail looks beautiful.
Besides...the photo's you're showing are much larger than the kit, so I guess the little mistakes are hardly visible "IRL".

Thanks Robin! One thing about mistakes is that you know that they are there and then one usually has the bad habit of telling others that they are there... I do it all the time when it comes to things done in the house. "Yes thank you, the new wallpaper looks good, but look here..." Sorry about that, I'll stop right away!  :D

Sunglasses on!

Tail looks lovely Fredrik.

As for lozenge, the Wingnuts version looks a little too bold and blocky to my eye. Aviattic and others do alternatives. Aviattic also do cookie cut lozenge (cut to shape) for the Alby, and a faded version that looks awesome to me!

Great job though.. Wood looks super too..

Guy

Thanks Guy! How is the Bf 109 coming along?
I am generally pleased with the look of the Albi - wood and lozenge. The wood might be a bit too dark for birch and the lozenge a bit stark, but in the end all that matters is that I end up with a good looking model. Professionally I'm really keen on things like source criticism and historical facts, but when building models I've come to the conclusion that trying to be correct is likely to just get in the way of finishing the job.  I'll probably try other lozenge manufacturers in the future, but for variation rather than correctness - thank you for the tips.

More progress made - it was time for markings.

Both of them might actually be finished soon!
/Fredrik

Offline Robin

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 05:29:40 AM »
Nice!

Uhmm....you masked "Stropp" also?  :o

Robin :)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
Even though Eduards loz is way off , the green with in does blend nicely with the green in the tail . She looks good  ;D

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .