Author Topic: Sopwith Camel Wing Markings  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Suffolk Lad

Sopwith Camel Wing Markings
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:43:52 AM »
I was about to paint a code letter on the top wing of the Camel I'm making. It's being finished as an aircraft of No 3 Squadron RFC 1918 as featured on the rear cover of the Windsock Publication by JM Bruce

(Des -  as a matter of protocol am I allowed to post an image of that off the cover or an image from inside?)

The text for this aircraft states that it was 'usual' (my quotes) for the fuselage code to be repeated on the port upper wing in white and the starboard lower wing in black.

Having checked through the book however there is very little evidence on those images that could confirm that this was actually the case, in fact there is only one image that shows a code letter on the top wing and that is actually on the starboard side.

I don't want to apply one if it's not correct so if anyone has any info anything that would confirm this was likely for this aircraft/squadron it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance - Tug

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Sopwith Camel Wing Markings
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
I have sent you a PM Ramon regarding posting images from Windsock.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 03:41:43 PM »
G'day, Tug.

The AFC squadrons followed RFC practice reasonably closely.  Here's two from 45SQN RFC (port wing) and 4SQN AFC (starboard) that show the markings on the top wings:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P00046.079/

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/E01878/

Perhaps you could find a photo using the aircraft serial number as a search term?

Cheers.

Dal.

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
Thanks for the PM Des - something to bear in mind in the future.

Dal - thank you for these two images which certainly confirms some had wing markings and on differing wings. Working on the basis that I'll get it wrong if if I put it on at this stage I'll leave it off until further research shows a reasonable degree of certainty - it can always be added at a later date

If anyone can suggest any sites where such could be found it would be appreciated

Regards - Tug

Offline macsporran

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 09:56:49 PM »
Hi Tug,
If it helps, the Camel File confirms that, initially in 3Sqdn, the flight letter was typically repeated in white on port upper mainplane and "on some machines", was also carried in black under the lower starboard wing. So I'd suggest you are fairly safe with the upper wing and unlikely to be challenged if you opt for the lower wing in black.
If you want to let me know the serial I can check if there is anything on the particular machine.
Cheers
Sandy
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 05:00:48 PM by macsporran »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 01:29:57 AM »
Tug,
     I took a quick look through the material I have and didn't find a 100% correct statement to answer your question. The common thread appears to be the practice of having the code letters on the upper, sometimes the lower, "on some aircraft" as Sandy has pointed out. The only specific photos I have of 3 Squadron aircraft are in the Albatros Publications "Sopwith Camel Squadrons" Special, and none provide a view of either surface. Looking at numerous photos of other Squadron's aircraft show clearly that some had the letters, some didn't. I'd say that unless a photo of your subject provides a clear answer you are safe to represent some or none of the foregoing combinations. Is the overall colour PC10 or 12, and if the former what version of khaki/green, green/brown, olive/khaki etc. etc. was it?? ??? :-\ ;)
    Still looking like a real show stopper, I think you are doing spectacular work on a marginal Kit and the finish is brilliant, keep pressing on!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:31 PM »
Sandy, Lance,

Apologies for the delay in response but it's been a 'morning of interruption'

Thanks for your help and interest in this. It does appear to have been a bit hit and miss over wing markings rather than a definitive requirement though your Camel File obviously gives a degree of possibility. However, short of an image or info on of the specific aircraft - Sandy, it's  B 6385 - confirming such  I think I'll still err on the side of caution and leave off at this stage.

Much appreciate your input -thanks for taking the time to check your sources for me.

Regards - Tug

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 12:55:44 PM »
Tug, why not ask the squadron association (http://www.3fsquadronassociation.com/about-us/history/ ) if they have photo's in their archives that they could send you?  It wouldn't have to be that specific aircraft, but a few photo's showing/ not showing wing markings would give you an idea of what the squadron practiced.  Unit associations are usually quite helpful, especially if you sling them a couple of quid as a donation, and they may have have photo's that haven't yet been published.

Cheers.

Dal. 

Offline macsporran

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 08:48:52 PM »
Hi Tug, here's what the File has on B6385 - doesn't add anything new but may be of interest. I assume the picture is the same as in the Datafile, (I sold my DFs long ago so can't check,) but here it is anyway.
HTH Sandy

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 09:42:19 PM »
Thanks for this Sandy - yes it is the same picture but the text you show is new and seems reasonably specific. Whilst it doesn't confirm it exactly for the aircraft in question it's enough to make a reasonable decision on for me - so to add just that little bit more interest a white W on the upper wing it is.

Dal - I checked out the site but there doesn't appear to be any archive material nor archivist. Given Sandy's material I'll stick with that for now but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks again Sandy and also to Dal and Lance for taking an interest - most helpful of you all

Regards - Tug

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2015, 07:24:59 AM »
It's amazing what a good bit of light can do  :)

Looking for some info on the cowl I was flicking through the data file this morning in what was very bright daylight in the workshop. There on page 13 is a shot of another of 3 Sqn's aircraft - 'A' Alpha - and I'm positive in that good light I could just make out the semblance of an 'A' on the top port wing. It's at a very oblique angle with light reflecting but I'm convinced enough to make a decision so the wing got a nice white 'W' this afternoon. The black one beneath however is another matter  :)

Thanks for all your help guys - much appreciated

Regards - Tug