Author Topic: 1/32 Scale Leicester/Canada Tribute Sopwith 1a Snipe  (Read 1885 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

1/32 Scale Leicester/Canada Tribute Sopwith 1a Snipe
« on: September 23, 2015, 09:20:45 AM »
This is my interpretation of the silver-doped  'Leicester To Canada' Tribute Sopwith Snipe Ia, serial E8313. It was presented to Canada from the city of Leicester on January 21, 1919. Taken on strength by the fledgling Canadian Air Force on August 5, 1919, it eventually made its way to Canada where a Mr. H. S. Quigley borrowed the aircraft to compete in the 1919 Toronto to New York City air race. Unfortunately it crashed on August 25, 1919 in Toronto while being tested prior to the race. It is believed to have been a total loss.

The model is based on a small series of historical photos that appear to show that the marking scheme evolved from the time of its delivery to its demise. I used the excellent Wingnut Wings Sopwith Snipe (Late) kit as a starting point. I added bracing and control lines to the cockpit from guitar string and monofilament line and I made the 'Leicester To Canada' decals on my laser printer. The war bonnet decal on the rudder was sourced from the recently re-released Academy Nieuport 17 kit. All wing and fuselage rigging and control lines were made with monofilament line and brass tubing. The aileron control lines were made with ModelKasten stretchy line. The fuselage striping was masked and airbrushed. The model was painted with Tamiya and Vallejo acrylics and purposely left without any weathering as it's quite possible that the aeroplane was in pristine condition for the air race.

I'd like to express my thanks to all of those members who followed the progress of this project on my build log. In particular, Lance has been instrumental in getting me to the finish line. Thanks buddy!

Thanks for dropping in for a look!

Cheers,

Chris Johnson
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline rolanddvi

Re: 1/32 Scale Leicester/Canada Tribute Sopwith 1a Snipe
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 09:32:13 AM »
That really is a very beautiful build Chris. Thanks for posting.

Mike

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 09:52:26 AM »
What a stunner she turn out to be, Chris!  That is one of the most striking Snipe schemes I've ever seen and you executed it superbly.  Congratulations, my friend.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Pgtaylorart

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »
Beautiful job, Chris! Like others have said, this is a very unique and striking scheme. Congrats!

George

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 11:43:01 AM »
Congratulations Chris, you have done a superb job with this model the crisp clean colours, excellent decals and the brilliant rigging, a real credit to your amazing talents.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 12:36:29 PM »
   Magnificent work Chris, just as clean a build as I could imagine! Great paint work, the interior detail is superb and the rigging stands out as well. I'm really excited about seeing her "in the flesh" this weekend at CapCon in Ottawa and I'm betting there's a medal in her immediate future   Congratulations on a spectacular Build!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
Chris,
One of the finest Snipes I have seen built to date! Like Lance said I can see a medal in the future! A truly inspiring build and one I can say I enjoyed watching come together!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 08:20:53 PM »
I'm truly humbled by your compliments fellows. It's a great group we have here and when I look back at my first effort compared to this one, I attribute my improvement to the support and help I've received here. I'm only trying to emulate the superb work I see here daily from all of you.

. . . I'm really excited about seeing her "in the flesh" this weekend at CapCon in Ottawa and I'm betting there's a medal in her immediate future . . .   

There are more than a few warts on this Snipe Lance, and they'll jump right out at you when you see it, so don't put down any money on that bet!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 08:51:56 PM »
Brilliant job, Chris!  Bravo, my friend!  I think this is
a wonderfully different scheme and you have done
it proud. :D  I only hope that your next project won't
be too long a wait. :D
Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 09:49:30 PM »
Lance, MGunns, and I are tossing around the idea of a Nieuport 17 in Billy Bishop's markings Ernie. More Canadian content!

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 12:57:28 AM »
Chris,

Beautiful Snipe model - really unusual and attractive markings as well.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 02:16:50 AM »
That is one of the most attractive schemes that I have seen on a WW1 aircraft for some time. The finish is first class in every way - I for one would be happy to put money on a medal for this - at least from the photos.

Stephen.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »
Beautiful. Immaculate finish and such an unusual livery. Very, very nice, Chris!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline tankbear

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 11:52:10 AM »
Chris,

Well, you already know my opinion of this one...... if you have forgotten, just re-read the comments above.  ;)

I really like the interior and especially the seat belt. You have come a long way since we built those Albatrosses. However, I don't think you have stopped improving your biplane skills yet. So I, like many others, will be looking forward to future builds.

Oh, and I would lay some money on a medal...  ::)

Bob  :o
Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
---Douglas Adams

We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem.
------Douglas Adams

Offline andyw

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 07:07:10 PM »
Lovely!