Author Topic: A change of pace  (Read 1842 times)

Offline gedmundson

A change of pace
« on: April 03, 2017, 09:07:52 AM »
Since building WW1 aircraft models for the past few years, I've had an old DML 1/35 Panther A sitting half finished on the bench. These past couple of months I've attempted to get it done and finally completed the build this weekend. Thought I'd share it since I know there are a few of you that dabble in AFV models too!

Cheers,Gary

Offline Mark

Re: A change of pace
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:38:19 AM »
Nice looking Panther!

Mark G

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 10:09:14 AM »
A great looking tank Gary.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 10:59:55 AM »
Expert execution !!

Steve

Offline Suffolk Lad

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 05:49:27 PM »
That's some superb and very convincing painting there Gary, most effective indeed. I'm afraid I too have been sidetracked into a long lost armour project - Tiger 1 - hence the low input on here these days. You've convinced me I should continue but my Camel arrived this week too  ;)

Regards - Tug

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2017, 11:19:43 PM »
Very nicely done Gary! The subtle weathering effects really catch the viewer's eye. There's nothing over-stated here as everything just flows together. You've definitely given me something to aim for. The emphasis in my case is on 'aim for'.

Just two quick questions. Which putty do you use for making your zimmerit, and did you use decals or a mask to add the markings over the zimmerit?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline gedmundson

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »
Thanks from everyone for the very kind words on the model! Very much appreciated.

Chris - great to hear from you, it's been a while. To answer your questions, I used Aves Apoxie Sculpt for the Zimmerit. I broke the laborious task into several small sessions, and probably ended up choosing a pattern not quite correct for the particular vehicle I was doing, which was a 12th SS Pz. in Le Villeneuve June 9 1944.

You are right - decals just wouldn't work well on the surface, especially the rear of the turret, so I cut out the numbers from a decal sheet and used it as a mask, and sprayed the red letters on, then tried to carefully outline them with off-white Vallejo.

Here's a "work in progress" with the John Rosengrant figs that'll be for the eventual vignette:

Cheers,
Gary

Offline Monty

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2017, 02:39:04 AM »
Nice one Gary! Great modelling and nice details! I must admit I do these "Ground-pounders" (targets?) myself - different and good fun! Regards, Marc

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »
Two super models there - I especially like the figures as they look very realistic.

Stephen.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2017, 09:40:45 AM »
Nice work Gary, Panther is my Favorite WWII tank !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.