Author Topic: MGB from Ernie & Patrick : Wingnut Wings Salmson 2A2  (Read 2643 times)

Offline IFF1418

MGB from Ernie & Patrick : Wingnut Wings Salmson 2A2
« on: July 12, 2016, 04:07:33 AM »
After an awful long time, my dear friend Ernie and myself have finished our 3rd mini group build. This time we have been choosing the WnW 1/32 Salmson 2A2 2-seater. It was for the both of us the first 2-seater ever build. At first Ernie didn’t like the aircraft too much, but during the build he loved it more and more. I had always liked it very much since long. I think it was quite a challenge for the both of us, knowing how many fantastic Salmson  builds had preceded ours. Looking at the ones of PrzemoL, Chris and Rick made me feel very small, and I still am. But you will see that Ernie joined this group of master modellers with brilliance.
So here is a small selection of photos during the build, small, because it is merely an OOB build. I choose the scheme of the #602 “Le Gone” of SAL 61 late 1918 and that served till March 1919.
Additional :  Bob’s turnbuckles and blood, sweat and tears.
As usual the engineering of WnW is fabulous. So the gaps in the fitting of the cockpit coaming and the louvers are to be put entirely on my account. I also completely failed in gluing the wireless wires against the cabane struts and last, I managed to lose one of the exhausts. When it will reappear  in a year or two, I will let you know!

As usual it was so pleasant doing this together with Ernie!

And now, over to the really gorgeous finish of Ernie’s Salmson. You will see what I mean.
Thank you for looking.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Borsos

Re: MGB from Ernie & Patrick : Wingnut Wings Salmson 2A2
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 04:54:18 AM »
At first Congratulations to the mini group build. Sounds like a cool thing!
Secondly Congratulations to that wonderful Salmson. I love the red-white front part! Very nice!
Best regards
Borsos
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 06:43:41 AM »
Patrick,
     You feel "small"?? Not because of the quality of this Model I sincerely hope, you've done a magnificent job! I was in awe of the interior as soon as I opened this Thread, and the engine as well. It is a spectacular rendition of the Salmson, you should be very proud of this one!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 07:29:05 AM »
Hello my friends,
  Here I am with part deux of our MGB...of course you have already seen the best one!  I owe my
brother-in-plastic and dear friend Patrick a huge thank you for his help and inspiration during our
build of the Salmsons! :D
  I chose the "C" version of the Wingnuts offering and built it basically OOB with the exception of
the famous Von Bob's wee eyelets, the HGW Salmson detail set #132121, and Gaspatch turnbuckles
both 1/32 and 1/48 scale.
  I will try to keep this as brief as I can, but as you probably know, I tend to run off at the mouth at times. ;D
First the standard Box photo...

...and a few construction shots...

This is the only bit of the HGW set I used...the shutters do look good once in place. :D

The tapes on the struts were done with 0.5mm Jammy-dog masking tape with a drop of CA to keep them in place and
painted light blue...

One shot of the Gaspatch turnbuckles...I used the 1/32 for the main rigging and the smaller ones for the cross bracing,
etc....

That's about it for the basic build...the rest are various shots of the completed beastie.  I have to say I had a horrible
time trying to get a light green that I was happy with and ended up stripping the paint a couple of times until I came
up with something I could live with!  I never did get something like Rick's (RAGIII) "just right" colour! ;D

There are a couple of sagging rigging wires that have since been tightened up with a hair dryer...apologies! :-[

One other thing...I wanted some "dirtied up" wheels and undercarriage so I gave MIG Ammo pigments a try and was
actually pleasantly surprised with the result...

That's about all there is to it.  It was a fun build but with a build partner like Patrick, how could it not be? :D :D
Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated.  Thanks for looking in!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 07:41:20 AM »
Wow, guys!  You sneaked this one in on us!  Two truly magnificent models, my friends!  I would be proud beyond words to have either in my collection.  Congratulations to you both!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 07:47:40 AM »
Wow Ernie, I was wondering what you were up to as I hadn't seen anything from you on the production side for a while. Now it makes sense, what a beauty! The interior is beautifully done, I was immediately drawn to the leather on the seats, they are weathered/shaded perfectly and the engine is a real little jewel. As for the finish, it is really spectacular. As with your "Brother in Plastic", congratulations on a beautiful and very impressive Build!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 07:52:35 AM »
Wow, guys!  You sneaked this one in on us!  Two truly magnificent models, my friends!  I would be proud beyond words to have either in my collection.  Congratulations to you both!
Cheers,
Bud

Same here !  Excellent !

ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 07:59:18 AM »
Wow, two spectacular Salmson 2A2 models in the one topic, congratulations to both of you for producing such superb models, each model has brilliant painting and the rigging is excellent, well done guys.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Borsos

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 08:45:54 AM »
Ernie, I love your Salmson too, very very fine! And the HGW shutters are actually great, I think I'll use them with my Salmson when I build it (someday). I must admit that I have also my "aesthetical" problems with the overall appearance of the Salmson (and normally I love ugly birds...), but Rick's Salmson and your Salmsons make me definitely change my mind.
Great stuff :)
Borsos
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:53:58 AM by Borsos »
"Deux armées aux prises, c'est une grande armée qui se suicide."
Barbusse.
"Ein Berg in Deutschland kann doch einen Berg in Frankreich nicht beleidigen. Oder ein Fluß oder ein Wald oder ein Weizenfeld."
Remarque.

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 09:50:19 AM »
Thanks very much Bud, Lance, Ed, Des and Borsos!  Positive reactions from fellow
modelers who's ability we (speaking for Patrick) admire so much is extremely
heartwarming! Much appreciated, friends!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 04:21:18 PM »
Simply magnificent! Bravo you two.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 04:37:52 PM »
Thank you so much Borsos, Lance, Bud, Ed, Des and Nigel for your so generous comments and appreciation! Looking at the photos of Ernie's bird again, shows how great a modeller he has become, joining the best modellers on the forum. He has done a marvellous job with the camo, painting and repainting until it was ok for him. The idea of a MGB has indeed proved to be very pleasing. As we never have a deadline, there was no real pressure too. Ernie helped me along my sad periods, as there was the death of my mother this year and as always many periods of depression. Having a good friend in such occasions is really very comforting. This is the reason why I could finish this model in a decent way. I know it is not mother’s nicest one, but a very pleasing model to tackle. And a way to progress and getting better in this wonderful hobby of modelling.
Thank you again for your very kind comments!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 06:32:34 PM »
Beautiful aircraft, both of them. Very well done.

Offline boggie

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2016, 07:36:15 PM »
Greetings Ernie and Patrick.

I like your models very much.

Absolutely excellent! 

I hope you two do more MGBs  :)

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »
Thank you Stefan and Boggie, your comments are highly appreciated. Coming from all these talented modellers it is even more nice to hear!

Kind regards
Patrick