Author Topic: Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17 Batch Build  (Read 2359 times)

Offline WD

Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17 Batch Build
« on: January 19, 2024, 02:16:05 AM »
Well, we'll see if all three make it across the finish line.

I hope or plan to do three Nieuport 17's:

- Tarascon's Zigomar 4
- an RFC Nie.17 from 1 Squadron
- another French machine, haven't quite decided yet.

I'm picking up where I left off in 2006 with two more added to the bunch. I'm almost ready to close up the fuselages, and this is what I've got so far:

- My wire work on the cylinders doe look rough, but at least two of them will be mostly hidden by a Cone de penetration which looks like a spinner, but is in fact a stationary object on a fixed axis. These were added to try and streamline the a/c. Most people think they're spinners, but they are stationary. Still, I'm fairly pleased with what I've done here.

I have made cushions for two of the three seats, and yes, there is a 1/72nd scale button on each tuck in the cushion. The third one is what Eduard gives you on the p/e in the kit, and I like it, but wanted some individuality for each airframe as none of these cushions were a regulation thing. The seatbelts/harnesses . . . I'm not thrilled with those, and images of Nieuport 17/23 seatbelts are rare as hen's teeth. If you have some, please let me know. As it was, I had to go with the illustration in the CSM Nieuport 17 instructions which shows a thick, wide, stiff belt which all but hangs in the air to the side. I couldn't get this to work to the point I liked it or that I thought didn't look weird and unfiinshed, so I've settled on this.

Oooooo, I see a couple of German Shepherd hairs that need sorting out before the seats go in.

Pilsner Urquell was used as a modeling fluid to help overcome my essential tremor during the last session.

Criticisms, feedback, etc. welcome.

Warren

Online DaddyO

Re: Eduard 1/72nd Nieuport 17 Batch Build
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2024, 03:20:15 AM »
Following with interest Warren (having got a couple of 17's and teh recent 27 under my belt I'm a sucker for the old 'One and half wings' as you know) :)

I tend to have my seatbelts look a bit more flexible so they lie flatter to the cushion, but I may have that completely wrong and I do like the variation of seat cushions.
By the way did you read the old Windsock article about the French green brown camouflage which indicated that there was a lighter green and lighter brown rather than just the two indicated by Eduard's instructions - makes for a more interesting look on the third machine . . .  :D

Cheers for now
Paul
There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is full

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2024, 04:44:09 AM »
 Nothing to criticise. Just the great start of an interesting project.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline WD

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2024, 05:07:31 AM »
Following with interest Warren (having got a couple of 17's and teh recent 27 under my belt I'm a sucker for the old 'One and half wings' as you know) :)

I tend to have my seatbelts look a bit more flexible so they lie flatter to the cushion, but I may have that completely wrong and I do like the variation of seat cushions.
By the way did you read the old Windsock article about the French green brown camouflage which indicated that there was a lighter green and lighter brown rather than just the two indicated by Eduard's instructions - makes for a more interesting look on the third machine . . .  :D

Cheers for now
Paul

Thank you very much Paul! I'm still not convinced about my seat belts. I'll post an image later.
Yes, I have read the article in Windsock you reference, great stuff. Also, there's this article by our own forum member Xan (just let Google, Firefox, etc. translate it for you):

https://1914.forumactif.com/t110-camouflage-francais-deux-tons-3-4-1916

As it is, all three of my birds are going to be alu-doped.

Warren

Offline WD

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 05:08:02 AM »
Nothing to criticise. Just the great start of an interesting project.

Thank you Prze!

Warren

Offline torbiorn

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 06:48:36 AM »
Nice. I especially like the cushions, painting leather is something I seem never to be able to convincingly, yet it is apparently possible. Maybe I should try the pilsner trick. 8)

Offline WD

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2024, 07:23:35 AM »
Nice. I especially like the cushions, painting leather is something I seem never to be able to convincingly, yet it is apparently possible. Maybe I should try the pilsner trick. 8)

LOL  ;D , I'm not sure I did it convincingly, although I feel confident in saying you'll enjoy Pilsner Urquell if you like a good pilsner beer.  ;)

Now, here's the part I'm just not satisfied with on my build: I can't seem to get the belts to lay convincingly. See the illustration below from the CSM Nie.17 instruction sheet. I figure these belts were a lot like a leather or webbing surcingle for a horse: they aren't limp and just don't flop around like a belt but have a certain stiffness to them.

Warren
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 07:41:30 AM by WD »

Offline NigelR

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2024, 07:41:28 PM »
The Nie 17 in 1/72 is a lovely little kit, these will look great when done. Nice start on the engines.

I think you may be right about the seat belts. I did a bit of Googling and found the attached picture on a thread on teh Aerodrome. These are (allegedly) original French WWI seatbelts and they look to be leather rather than fabric. Which is news to me!

Offline WD

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2024, 11:49:55 PM »
Nigel,
         Thanks for that!  I missed those in my reasearch.  Anyway, do y'all see what I mean about them being stiff and thick? You know, the more I look at my seats and seatbelts, the less satisfied I am with it. We're iced in today, so I might see if I can scratch-build something better.

We'll see.

Warren

Offline WD

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2024, 06:11:43 AM »
Well, it's a cold, icy, blustery day here in the rolling hills of western Cain-tuh-Kee, and that makes it a great day to be at the bench.

I modified the seatbelts on the seats. Not perfect by any means, but I think this is an improvement.

That's about as good as I can get it for now. There simply isn't room to have them off to the side as the illustration up above shows.

Warren

Offline NigelR

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 01:14:20 AM »
That works for me......

Offline KiwiZac

• Global Moderator
    • My Linktree
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2024, 09:05:52 AM »
And me! If it wasn’t for the “1/72” in the title I’d have thought this was 1/32!
Zac in NZ

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2024, 06:02:54 PM »
Lovely seats and the belts, especially in this scale!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline WD

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2024, 10:04:29 AM »
In tonight's episode of the 1/72nd Eduard Nieuport 17 batch build, Warren gets a lesson in self-inflicted wounds. I closed the fuselages up, clamped the front end, but clamped the back ends with clothespins. Sadly, I forgot how the springs in clothespins can exert torque, and while the fuselage's glue dried while I was off playing Fallout New Vegas all fat, dumb, and happy, back ends dried out of line. I was able to split open the rear of each and reglue and try to get them straight, but it wasn't 100%. So, some Milliput and Mr. Surfacer 500 and sandpaper ensued. <sigh>
I tried making some shots of the interior, but it's hard to do with my setup. I want to give a shout out to William Adair who sent me the files so I could print out some decals to simulate the veneer strips that make up the sidewalls of Nieuport cockpits. Please excuse the rough edges, I'm still working on that.

[imghttps://images2.imgbox.com/8e/83/T9CBvzi0_o.jpg]http://[/img]

I also realize I glued the seats in a little far forward, but I was scared of getting them too far back.
Fiddle-dee-dee, tomorrow's another day!

Warren

Warren

Offline AngryJazz

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2024, 05:23:32 PM »
Great fun and cool project! They all look good!  :)
//Ben