Author Topic: Hello  (Read 1065 times)

Offline MikeCh

Hello
« on: April 08, 2015, 03:59:43 PM »
Hello People,

My name is Michael and I build models.  I also have an interest in history, predominantly but not exclusively 20th Century, and the modelling is an extension of that.  Having a particular interest in reconnaissance (among other things) I also run the Reconnaissance Special Interest Group within IPMS(UK).

Many years ago in my youth I was traumatised by an ancient RE8 kit (yes, it was Airfix), and fought shy of WWI for years in consequence.  But I still had a latent interest in WWI, and did build the odd model such as Revell's old 1:48 SE.5A.  Now I'm coming back to WWI in a bigger way, as I reckon after all these years I should be able to tackle what are now better kits and produce a better job.

I'm currently on the finishing straight with a Wingnut Wings Sopwith Triplane, and aiming next to confront my bugbear, the RE8 - only this time it's also the Wingnut Wings kit, so I should stand a better chance of finishing it.

So here I am, good to be here.

MikeCh
Michael

IPMS(UK) Reconnaissance SIG leader, member of a few others; IPMS MK; IPMS Avon Life member.

“Nothing is more intolerable than to have to admit to yourself your own errors.” Ludwig van Beethoven

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 04:18:49 PM »
Hello Michael and welcome to the forum, I'm looking forward to your participation with the forum and its many very friendly members.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 07:00:52 PM »
Hello Michael and welcome to this wonderful forum.

I don't think you're alone in having distant desperate memories of the old Airfix RE8. I too have the magnificent WNW model. It's secure in the stash waiting for a very rainy day. Have you already got yours because I think it's no longer available?

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 07:33:56 PM »
Hello Mike,
 Welcome to the forum to end all forums  ;)
I look forward to seeing your Tripe and Harry Tate completed.

Cheers,
Bob  ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 08:58:48 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mike.  I think you will enjoy your
time on the forum as it is a wealth of information in a very
friendly atmosphere.  I am looking forward to seeing your
Tripe and RE8.  Good to have you aboard. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 09:09:41 PM »
Welcome to the site ! :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:44:43 PM »
Welcome aboard Mike. You've chosen two real winners to start into WWI Models, and both "rare" in that they are no longer available from WNW. I look forward to seeing your work here.
Cheers,
Lance

Online RAGIII

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 01:31:26 AM »
Welcome to the forum Michael! Like the others, I am looking forward to seeing your work on the RE8. You will find plenty of encouragement, and no lack of assistance when asked for.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 01:56:12 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Mike!  Great to have you aboard.  Looking forward to seeing your Tripe and Harry Tate.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline MikeCh

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome, good to be here.

Nigel, yes, thanks, I do have an RE.8 in the stash, and am contempating some Pheon decals to go with it - my "default setting" is to rarely use the markings in the kit.

Bob, good to see you here, I've got some of your buckles ready for that RE.8.

Current state of play on the Tripe is that the basic airframe is together, painted and decalled.  It now needs the sub-assemblies adding (the engine/cowling assembly, empennage, the mid and upper mainplanes), rigging and weathering, so getting there.  I am, however, very bad at remembering to take WIP photographs, despite the best of intentions, but will take some finished shots.

OK, I'm off to have a look round the rest of the forum.

Mike
Michael

IPMS(UK) Reconnaissance SIG leader, member of a few others; IPMS MK; IPMS Avon Life member.

“Nothing is more intolerable than to have to admit to yourself your own errors.” Ludwig van Beethoven

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2015, 09:39:31 AM »
Hi Mike, welcome to the crazy house from Western Cain-tuh-Kee.

Warren