Author Topic: 1/32 A-Model Nieuport 11 aka "You get what you pay for".  (Read 2373 times)

Offline N.C.S.E

1/32 A-Model Nieuport 11 aka "You get what you pay for".
« on: July 16, 2020, 04:44:54 PM »
Hi everyone,

It's been a while since my last completed model post here. A lot has changed, I was following Des's website before the forum even appeared. I was saddened to read recently of his passing. His recommendations have proved invaluable to me and I continue to use the airbrush he recommended to me years ago.

This is an A-Model Nieuport 11. This kit has been without a doubt the most troublesome build I have had in possibly my entire model building career. I don't think a single thing has fitted together except for the fuselage and the elevators! The engine, for example, was too big for the cowling and I basically had to chop off half the back. The cylinders are large enough that they meet the engine cowling and therefore my first 1/32 can't have a spinning propeller. The induction tubes I'm pretty confident are back to front and the push rods are flat out wrong, with me only discovering that after I'd shaved off the front of the crank case to make the pushrod assembly fit!
I admit the possibility that I got the whole thing hopelessly wrong - but the instructions aren't all that helpful either. Some foul-ups are my own. I have the wrong kind of lewis drum on for example.

In the end, I simply just gave up and pushed on. Despite everything, on account of finally getting the hang of airbrushing and my rigging skills have the full benefit of eyelets and Bob's Buckles, I ironically have the best model I've ever made. So despite everything I'm rather pleased. I just wish someone did an Italian seated pilot figure.

All up, the kit cost me $44 Australian (about 20-22 pounds, US dollars) and my first grey hairs (alright I kid). I can only recommend this for those who either a) need a challenge or b) want to get out of WW1 aircraft modelling!

For the record, I mostly followed the replica Vintage Aviator built Nieuport 11, though deviating a bit when I found out I had it wrong and couldn't be bothered! (See above)

Anyway - enjoy?

(as an aside, it's amazing how photos can hide so many flaws!)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 02:41:52 AM by N.C.S.E »
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline Dave Brewer

Re: 1/32 A-Model Nieuport 11 aka "You get what you pay for".
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 06:50:37 PM »
Looks great to me,love the livery.I have a few Amodel Nieuports,expected they might not be in CSM's class but the price was right,and they obviously can turn out nicely!
Cheers,
Dave.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 07:35:50 PM »
Thats a really great Nieuport model and I would be very happy if it was one I'd made. Key thing here is you are a modeller and called on your modelling skills to create a great looking replica from a kit that challenged you.

On that basis what you achieved should be more satisfying than just assembling a shake 'n bake model.

Very impressive!

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online RAGIII

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
Like Dave said you have completed a Model that challenged your skills and have turned out a beautiful replica! One thing I like is that your turnbuckles follow the direction of the rigging lines nicely. Well done in My opinion!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline petrov27

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2020, 10:46:05 PM »
Yes definitely agree with the others that regardless of the problems you have turned out a very nice finished product. Also to be admired that you pushed through the challenges and brought it to completion - that is a feat many modelers (myself included) fail at when they hit major problems with a build.

I do have a couple of these in the stash and yes they look extremely basic to say the least, maybe more akin to a vac form or early resin kit. Definitely not WNW or "shake the box" easy builds....
-Patrick

Offline smperry

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2020, 11:16:28 PM »
You succeeded in producing a fine looking little Nieuport. Having met and conquered it's challenges, you are right to be proud of it. Some of the most basic kits can be the source of our greatest satisfaction.
sp
There is something fundamentally amiss with a society which forces it's modelers to work for a living.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2020, 11:50:58 PM »
Well done, a great looking model! As already mentioned by sp a well "tamed" basic Kit often brings the greatest satisfaction, I recently suffered through a frustrating grind with a between the wars subject that turned out to be a real favorite of mine! Great rigging and a very eye catching scheme ......... I like it a lot!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline N.C.S.E

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 02:44:15 AM »
You're all really too kind. :) Thanks a bunch. It does help that the Bebe has its own natural beauty.

Looks great to me,love the livery.I have a few Amodel Nieuports,expected they might not be in CSM's class but the price was right,and they obviously can turn out nicely!
Cheers,
Dave.

It's funny, there's some really good molding on the kit, the cylinders in particular are beautiful, but, well, let's just say that this this kit's instructions are in a whole different universe compared to CSM. Enjoy?  :P
The years to come seem waste of breathe, a waste of breathe on balance with this life, this death. - W.M.Yeates

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 03:03:26 AM »
Never mind the problems - as Dave has written we are supposed to be modellers and a bit of a challenge adds frisson to our hobby. In any event you have turned out a first class model in a beautiful livery. Certainly the Nieuport is a delicate but appealing aircraft - and your model does it real justice.

Stephen.

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 07:13:49 AM »
Agree with all of the above--Looks Great and in the end most important !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 10:51:43 AM »
Very nicely done, Sir!

I know A-Model from their I-16 type 5 kit --- it has a good model concealed in its parts, and it takes much work to bring it out. It sounds like their large-scale Nieuport is similar.

You have more than done it justice, with a crisp look and an excellent finish.

Offline kensar

• Reshaping the world - one piece at a time.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 06:21:14 AM »
Nothing at all wrong with that!  Looks good.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 11:29:14 PM »
You overcame those challenges very well and turned out a great looking model .  :)

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2020, 06:12:16 AM »
I agree with Terri!  You wouldn't know it was trench warfare...Neat Nieuport.
Dan

Offline GazzaS

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2020, 01:36:15 PM »
Well done!  Looks great!
There are only two states to be in:  Queensland and blotto.