Author Topic: Wingnuts free shipping to end in mid June  (Read 4181 times)

Offline IvotB

Re: Wingnuts free shipping to end in mid June
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2016, 07:22:39 PM »
If distribution from within Europe would result in less customs issues, I expect it will be a good thing.

I do not hope that Hannants will become the distributor as it might be a nice solution for the UK, but not for the continent as the exchange rates between the GBP and the euro are still not very attractive at the moment (it has been the other way around in the past: I could order kits cheaper at Hannants than at the Aviation Megastore in the Netherlands). Ordering a kit in New Zealand and taking into account custom charges, VAT and postage services would sometimes amount to over 40 USD in the Netherlands for a single seater WnW kit. Still then it is a cheaper solution than the Hannants corridor  :) .

regards,
Ivo

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 09:10:05 PM »
Should Hannants become the European distributor I should hope the price won't be the seemingly current US $1.00 = GBP £1.00 that it appears to run at currently :D

I imagine though WNW will keep a watchful eye on whoever they appoint where ever they set up their distribution points. Delivery times should reduce too hopefully.

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »
Over on this side of the world, I imagine the N.American distributor will be
in the US, which should be not too bad for our American cousins, but speaking
greedily, those of us in Canada will probably be nailed for I figure about $40USD
postage.  With our wounded dollar, that is quite an addition. :( 

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 11:44:52 PM »
I suspect that since the kits will be bulk shipped to the 3 points, much of the shipping will be in the price of the kit, then add cost to go from the local point to the doorstep.  I am in the US, so my experience has not been the same as other countries.

I suspect they will keep a tight reign on the 3 distribution points.  Hopefully, they will not go with a mega wholesaler.  In my opinion, a smaller outfit such as Pacific Coast Models would be ideal.  Large enough to do it well and small enough to maintain discipline.

Offline Gerg

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 04:01:51 AM »
I am happy to see that this day has finally come. We have a company that produces quality kits (like other manufacturers), has raised prices to the level of other manufactures, does not provide free shipping (like other manufacturers).  Can we now see substantial discounts to Manufacturers Suggested Retail Prices like other manufacturers? 
“Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2016, 08:14:55 AM »
Over on this side of the world, I imagine the N.American distributor will be
in the US, which should be not too bad for our American cousins, but speaking
greedily, those of us in Canada will probably be nailed for I figure about $40USD
postage.  With our wounded dollar, that is quite an addition. :( 

Cheers,
Ernie :)

At $35 USD for postage and $89 USD for their cheapest kit that's around $160 Canadian, the price is definitely going up! Other then the Camel and maybe a BE.2 if they release one I think I'll work on reducing my Stash!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2016, 08:31:20 AM »
If purchasers in Australia still order from Wingnuts in NZ I think the postage will be kept to a minimum, probably around $20, but we will have to see what postage prices are like if we order from Hong Kong, this could be the cheaper way to go.

This all comes as no surprise, we have all known about the free post ceasing mid year for some time now and there was talk of having worldwide distributors a long time ago, so even though it may be new news it is definitely old news revamped and verified.

The release of their new Camel may coincide with the end of free post, around the 15th June, this will give the new distributors something to get their teeth into and to offer good deals with the brand new kit, competition between distributors will be a good thing.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Online macsporran

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2016, 08:54:03 AM »
The release of their new Camel may coincide with the end of free post, around the 15th June, this will give the new distributors something to get their teeth into and to offer good deals with the brand new kit, competition between distributors will be a good thing.

Des.

The announcement doesn't actually mention distributors as such, rather the integration of three shipping locations.
They may retain centralized ordering on the usual website, with a choice of which location to be shipped from along with relevant shipping cost. Maybe along with stock availability in each location. Don't know how the tax element would be dealt with. We'll see in June.

Offline Derrick

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2016, 09:20:07 AM »
As a Canadian living on the west coast, Hong Kong may prove cheaper to use than going thru the U.S. It will depend on who is the distributor, but I found I could get stuff cheaper from Hobbylink Japan then thru the states, as an example.

I am wondering with this change, WNW will not make many obscure aircraft and focus on making "mainstream" kits starting with the Camel. I am disappointed that they did not make the Camel available now, and I am thinking it will be sometime, probably not till near Christmas before we see a new kit as they will be sorting thru the shipping changes. I had just order another Albatros and may pick up some more kits before the changes are implemented

Offline Isitwindyyet

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2016, 12:25:54 AM »
Luckily I have really all that I want, and realistically all I'll ever build, so I'm not as concerned as others seem to be.  I can't foresee making any further purchases from their existing catalogue.  I'll buy one or two Camels, so cost won't be too prohibitive.  But at any rate, these changes are going to make significant changes to the total cost to those of us in Canada and many other parts of the world.  This will force me to be more selective as to which future releases I choose beyond the Camel.  I've got plenty of great kits from them already and likely won't be tempted by much other than Dr. 1's, Nieuport 17's, and perhaps some Spads.  Simple economics dictates an increase in price will result in a decrease in demand.  Some people will have a higher price elasticity than others.  Only time will tell how these changes affect the future success of WNW.  I'm not so sure that they will be going to a distributor system, especially those already associated with the hobby industry, such as Stevens, Borgfelt, Hannants, Squadron, etc.  Likely just be a drop ship warehouse service.  WNW will give a percentage of the sale to company, and they pack and ship the box.  No responsibility, no after sales service from the shipper, all that will still come from NZ.  I also expect standard shipping rates per kit to each country, rather than a exact cost for your specific kit to your exact location.  Argue if you like, but I don't know any less than you do.  So only time will tell.

Offline JiffyJDavies

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2016, 01:26:51 AM »
If purchasers in Australia still order from Wingnuts in NZ I think the postage will be kept to a minimum, probably around $20, but we will have to see what postage prices are like if we order from Hong Kong, this could be the cheaper way to go.

This all comes as no surprise, we have all known about the free post ceasing mid year for some time now and there was talk of having worldwide distributors a long time ago, so even though it may be new news it is definitely old news revamped and verified.

Des.

There won't be competition, the distributors are simply warehousing and sending kits on WNW's behalf. WNW will remain the only place you can buy the kits, with the distributors just distributing, not selling themselves.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2016, 05:13:42 AM »
Somehow I'm getting the impression that we are missing an essential item in the free shipping discussion. Although shipping was free, somebody had to pay for it as postage has never been for nothing. So WnW payed the shipping, but had to recover their cost somehow. I assume that the only revenue must have been in the kits they sold, so shipping was included in the amount WnW asked for their kits.

Apparantly something has changed. Their income based on the prices in USD has diminished (so they indicated based on the exchange rates between USD en NZD) or their costs have increased so they have to do something with the kit prices. They did, but it wasn't enough so now they are also ending their "free shipping'' policy.
I hope nobody has believed in the past that WnW shipped their kits for free. It has always been included in the kit price. All in all it is just a general price raise based on their rising costs.

Just my two cents,

Ivo

Offline Gerg

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2016, 11:28:55 AM »
I hope nobody has believed in the past that WnW shipped their kits for free. It has always been included in the kit price.

Hmm....where have I heard this before? Oh that's right, I said that. Glad to see I am not alone in thinking that.  :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:54:07 PM by Gerg »
“Never try to discourage thinking, for you are sure to succeed.”
― Bertrand Russell

Offline JiffyJDavies

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2016, 05:08:02 PM »
Somehow I'm getting the impression that we are missing an essential item in the free shipping discussion. Although shipping was free, somebody had to pay for it as postage has never been for nothing. So WnW payed the shipping, but had to recover their cost somehow. I assume that the only revenue must have been in the kits they sold, so shipping was included in the amount WnW asked for their kits.

Apparantly something has changed. Their income based on the prices in USD has diminished (so they indicated based on the exchange rates between USD en NZD) or their costs have increased so they have to do something with the kit prices. They did, but it wasn't enough so now they are also ending their "free shipping'' policy.
I hope nobody has believed in the past that WnW shipped their kits for free. It has always been included in the kit price. All in all it is just a general price raise based on their rising costs.

Just my two cents,

Ivo

They did say they were ending free shipping before the price increases, they just never gave a date.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2016, 01:41:43 PM »
This is great, can't wait to get the new kits really fast.....what could be better.  Best models in the world now delivered even faster, truly glorious!