Author Topic: Are exchange rates dampening your kit buying?  (Read 4268 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Are exchange rates dampening your kit buying?
« on: February 02, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »
The international exchange rate for the Aussie dollar is going through the floor just now with the Australian dollar worth less than 78c. This has a killer effect for some on buying models ( or anything) in US Dollars. I know Kiwis are in the same boat and also Canadians. So how many others are baulking at buying new kits due to the impact of the US dollar pricing?

The Wingnuts Felixstowes at $269 work out at $346 in Aussie dollars while the Wingnuts $99 kits now cost $127 in our currency.

The UK Pound is worth about times two to the Aussie dollar so how many modellers are hunkering down to build their stash and deferring new kit purchases till the local currency strengthens?

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Are exchange rates dampening your kit buying?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 02:50:39 PM »
Being an Aussie like you David I am starting to feel the pinch with the exchange rate. I was going to purchase a Tommy's War Thornycroft 1:32 scale WW1 truck but their £90 asking price when converted comes to $180AUD, then on top of that is postage so it would be a $200+ kit. I have been very eager to get the new Wingnuts AEG when they finally release it but this will now depend on their selling price, anything over $200 will put it our of the race.

I have quite a good collection in my stash plus I can still do scratch builds, so it's not like I have nothing to do, more purchases from Wingnuts or elsewhere may just have to wait.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 05:36:27 PM »
Yes it has affected my interest as well. Even in the last week the NZ peso has taken a pounding. Jan 20th: $1NZD = $0.7782 USD, now $0.7250, down 7%  >:(

Maybe I should sell some items from the stash in USD on ebay?  ;)
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 05:52:45 PM »
I'm spending much less on fuel at the moment so that compensates to some extent;having said that I think a stash clearance might be  in order shortly to fund a few more Wingnut purchases.

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 06:02:55 PM »
No, not really.  I buy 2-4 models a year, perhaps 2 of which would be WNW.  I want a Felixstowe, and exchange rate fluctuations mean the kit price varies from £160-180 plus import taxes.  So I'm looking at a minimum of around £200.  This means saving up - it will take quite a while to save £200 in change, so it isn't much more of a ball-ache to save another £20 or so on top.

If I was buying 5-10 kits in US$ plus accessories, then I may be a bit worried, but at the moment I don't spend enough to make much difference.

Offline Royston

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 06:09:52 PM »
I have yet to purchase a WNW kit as my main scale is 1/48.
That said this was the year when I intended to take the leap and purchase one.
So due to the exchange rate I will now look at who stocks them in the UK, Hannants are one option but I would rather pay cash at a show this would make a further saving as no postage charge.
I have to spread my kitty over varied subjects

Roy 

Offline drdave

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 06:42:56 PM »
I've been splurging on WNW as a single seater only costs £44 which is a bargain in my Mind . Yes there's VAT, so I buy 4 at a go.

I paid £35 for the Special hobby G50.

On eBay UK people will pay £69 plus p&p for a single seater and £90 for a 2 seater.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 07:29:11 PM »
I have yet to purchase a WNW kit as my main scale is 1/48.
That said this was the year when I intended to take the leap and purchase one.
So due to the exchange rate I will now look at who stocks them in the UK, Hannants are one option but I would rather pay cash at a show this would make a further saving as no postage charge.
I have to spread my kitty over varied subjects

Roy

In my experience Hannants offer WNW kits at the same £ figure as does WNW in USD ie a kit listed on WNW at $99 is sold at Hannants for £99.  Even with the exchange rates, VAT, and "release fee" it is still cheaper to buy from WNW.  The exchange rate will need to drop a bit more to make Hannants cheaper.

Kai

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 07:33:08 PM »
I buy in batches to spread the £8 customs charge. Sterling was strong last year, so I bought a lot then.
The Euro is taking a hammering though, so I'd imagine our European friends are paying a fair bit more.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 03:15:50 AM »
   As has been mentioned the Canadian $ has really taken a beating due to the present oil price plummet, it's now pretty well identical to the Aussie $ at $.77.5 US. Add the fact that I live in an area that's economy is 95% driven by oil and yes, my buying habits are somewhat dampened! I was on the cusp of ordering several extra WNW Kits and also eagerly awaiting their AEG, now I'm a little hesitant. That's a pity as financial "talking heads" are predicting even lower rates, our province's economy is forecast to go into recession, and the same experts put the recovery point for oil well into 2016!
   Is there any good news? Well, I have a pretty reasonable stash, the freezer is full, and I have guns in case the Anarchists decide to share the wealth so it could be much worse! To answer your question directly, Dave, yes, I'm sitting on my wallet presently however I suspect it will only get worse! :-\ :'(
Cheers?
Lance

Offline ermeio

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 04:41:45 AM »
Yes, definitely.
With the euro to the floor it is difficult to buy more WNW, and I am glad that t succeeded in buying a lot before the currency fell down.
It maybe that I will buy the AEG if it is not too costly.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 02:59:53 PM »
Because I have been hanging out for the AEG for so long now, I think I will still purchase one when it is released despite the currency rate, it's only one kit so won't hurt too much  ???

Des.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 07:05:04 PM »
The Aussie dollar dropped another cent today with our Reserve Bank dropping the official interest rate another quarter of a percent, maybe my last post of buying the AEG regardless of the exchange rate has just taken a nose dive  :o

Des.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 07:50:41 PM »
Imagine if you were new to WNW, or even to WWI modelling, and investigated buying your first one.

I reckon you would select the model you want for all the usual reasons of choice, including price.  The fact that it may cost a few AUS$ or Euros more today than a few months ago, would make little difference.  You can either afford to buy the kit you want, or you can't.

If you want an expensive kit, such as the Felixstowe, a few $ more won't make much difference?  If you have the money to spare already, then you probably have enough cash to cope.  If you (like me) need to save for the kit, then another month or so to wait in what may take a year anyway, again doesn't make much difference - if you really want that kit...

Offline Jim

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 09:04:38 PM »
I just bought myself another WNW kit (Roland Via) after worrying it would sell out like all the others I have already missed out on. That will be it for WNW for me unless they release something really special (though by that time they do the value of the dollar - whether it be Aussie, Kiwi, or Canuck - will be so bad we'll be looking fondly back at the days when the exchange rate was where it is now!)
Woof!