Author Topic: 1/32nd WNW Fokker DVII F Eric Just  (Read 4661 times)

Offline mgunns

1/32nd WNW Fokker DVII F Eric Just
« on: November 26, 2013, 11:10:32 AM »
Okay:
I just completed this, the pics aren't the greatest, I will try to get some better pics and post later.  The decals are  as follows:  The wings are the Aviattic 4 color transparent lozenge and the center panel is a section of the Kit decal.  I screwed up the taping and because the lozenge is transparent I couldn't use another section, so I used the kit decals figuring thus:  If the tapes were to reinforce a section of the wing fabric because it was ripping and tearing off, this could represent a fresh section of fabric.  Worked for me.  The fuselage is by necessity the Wood and Wire faded 4 color transparent lozenge.  As Aviattic doesn't sell fuselage sections, and I didn't have any "bolts' of their lozenge I used the Wood and Wire.  I thought I could tone down the colors of the Aviattic but it still looks quite a bit different.  My wife likes and said that in real life the lozenge would fade at a different rate.  So there it is.  I really like the DVII.  One of my favorites.  I followed the kit paint instructions.  I did preshade the rudder but; I don't think it shows here.   It is my second DVII and I still learned a lesson.  Don't put the undercarriage on and wire it in place without fixing the upper wing struts.  The undercarriage and the upper wing strut share a socket and the upper wing strut holds it all in place.  I managed to fudge the upper wing struts in place but have a care.  I also assembled the nose portion before painting and decaling.  Worked fine and had no problems.

I didn't want to do a build log as I build out of the box and there are others who have extensive build logs,  so here they are.  Enjoy.

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline rhallinger

Re: 1/32nd WNW Fokker DVII F Eric Just
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 11:22:17 AM »
Mark, you've done a superlatve job on this D.VII!  The lozenge combination really seems to work well and is very pleasing and convincing.  Another cool paint scheme.  I suspect one could build nothing but D.VIIs and Albatri for a very long time and not have repetitve markings!

I shared your build experience, and agree that the top wing probably goes on easier before adding the landing gear.  You've done a beautiful job on this one, and it's very pleasing to gaze upon at length. ;D  Very well done my friend.

Regards,

Bob

Offline mgunns

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »
Hi Bob:

I agree whole heartedly.  DVII's and Albatri could occupy my modeling time for a long time.  I think WNW hit a home run with these, at least I hit a grandslam as I have four:  YIKES!  Hopefully SWMBO will never know!  Oh the Humanity!!

Thanks for stopping by and your comments.

Best

Mark
Mark

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 11:58:58 AM »
I hear you Mark!  I had four WNW D.VIIs . . . once upon a time.   ;).  Hehehe . . . um . . . somehow that number has, er, umm, expanded . . .  ;D

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Mark

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 12:17:27 PM »
Great work, Mark! I'm doing Udet's F in his red scheme . . . mind my asking which red you used on your model? I think it looks spot-on!

Thanks!

Mark

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:05:48 PM »
Lovely bird, Mark. Thanks for sharing!

Lindsay

Offline Zabu

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 01:10:20 PM »
Lovely D.VII. I can never stop of being amazed with what you guys pull out.

Fantastic looking model. Congrats.

Cheers

Offline mgunns

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 01:27:23 PM »
Great work, Mark! I'm doing Udet's F in his red scheme . . . mind my asking which red you used on your model? I think it looks spot-on!

Thanks!

Mark
Hi Mark:  It is a mix of Tamiya X7 Gloss red and XF9 Hull red.  I just sort of eyeballed it.  I think it is a tad too dark, but I dumped the Hull Red into the Gloss red bottle, so.....I was stuck with it.  I use mostly Tamiya paints on my kits.  I use MEK substitute for thinner and it works great.  Naturally, I use a respirator, but that MEK works with most paints except Testors Acryl.  It doesn't like it, and I don't like them.  Good luck with yours, looking forward to seeing how you are doing.

Best

Mark
Mark

Offline mgunns

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2013, 01:32:05 PM »
Thanks Zabu and Lindsay T for stopping by and scoping it out.  I appreciate the comments and you liking the models. 

@Zabu, like my old buddy Dave Pluth used to say, "Just build it" or words to that effect.  I think I knocked this out in two weeks.  Now that I am not working weekends at the Harley Shop, I can devote more time to modeling on Saturdays until SWMBO catches up with me.

@Lindsay T:  Thanks too for your comments on the Revell SPAD.  I plan on doing one in Lukes Scheme with more detail and more correct rigging.  Stay tuned to this space for events as they unfold.   ::)
Best

Mark
Mark

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
She looks very stunning Mark, you have done a superb job with the building and the decal application, congratulations on a job very well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2013, 04:11:36 PM »
Impressive work done here. I really like the fact that you have used two different sets of decals on the top wing - it is really easy to identify the quality of Aviattic's decals when compared with WNW's lozenge.
JaSta 11's red struts, nose and wheel covers lead to a very colourful plane - a very nice add-on to any collection.

Congratulations!

Stefan

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2013, 04:33:30 PM »
Great outcome, Mark!
The lozenge looks the part as does the overall finish - well done!

VB   ;)

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Jacek

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, 04:47:15 PM »
Beautiful made ​​model.
Congratulations !
Jacek

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, 06:13:56 PM »
Great results here Mark - what an aesthetically pleasing kite the DVII is!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 02:15:01 AM »
She's absolutely gorgeous, Mark!  Your application of the lozenge is magnificent.  I love the shading and weathering and Just's scheme is very striking.  You've got a real winner there, buddy.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence