Author Topic: Things keep blowing up......  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Things keep blowing up......
« on: February 09, 2014, 06:01:26 PM »
My printer decided to display a message last night saying that an ink cartridge was missing or undetected, this is after I was printing for most of the morning without a hitch. I mucked around with the printer for quite a few hours today, changed the ink cartridge, done numerous head cleaning and cartridge alignment checks, printed test pages but all to no avail. In it's final death throes the printer decided to run through it's cycle a few times making a lot of really loud bangs and clunks, then all fell silent. Most of today was a total waste of time so the printer wil be heading for the rubbish bin tomorrow. Just to top the day off I was having a shave this morning and my electric shaver decided to blow up, clouds of smoke and a horrible burning smell. This is all on top of my lawn mower blowing up a few weeks ago, they say things happen in threes so hopefully this will be it for me for the remainder of the year.

Des.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:33:51 PM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Jim

Re: Things keep blowing up......
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 06:24:24 PM »
Des - I think things are engineered to break these days, and usually just after the warranty runs out.
Woof!

Offline blubasso

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »
We in Italy say: Mrs Luck is blind but Mr Unluck is an eagle...

If it's made from wood and canvas and flies, it's my friend. And the friends of my friend are my friends too

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 10:12:50 PM »
Is this where we say "it never rains but it pours?".  Hopefully all your trials are
over now Des. ;) ;D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 10:18:17 PM »
Des,
I feel your pain! About 3 weeks ago my Motor seized in my 14 year old vehicle, the Microwave shot flames out of the device inside, and the Alternator in my Daughters car went out. Had to buy a new vehicle, new Microwave, and pay for the repair on the car all in one week!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 10:21:40 PM »
Hello Des,

I think your printer was overwhelmed by the drawings of your Battaille. I guess after 3 blow ups your misery will stop and you will be without problems for a few years now.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 12:45:19 AM »
With the price of ink cartridges here verses the price of a new printer(with ink) after mail in rebates, bundle prices, instant rebates and the "Walmart" factor, when a printer acts up or drys up I just push it off the desk and buy a new one!!! As for the razor......just stop shaving

Steve

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 01:29:14 AM »
yeah, I've gone thru a million ink jet printers; they don't seem built to last. Now you can't hardly find a standalone inkjet -- you have to buy an all-in-one it seems. I had to buy an inkjet to use the photo-etch system -- doesn't work with laser printers which is what i have at work. I settled on a Canon Pixma 5520 which will print wirelessly from my phone & tablet, is very quiet and the scanner is fairly decent...

Offline Hannover

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 02:46:35 AM »
Well so far in 2014 the bearings have gone in the washing machine (nearly 12 years old), repair quoted at £250 plus VAT (20%) or a new machine at £350 delivered. No contest really!

Then the DVD recorder started playing up, a well know fault with the audio recording processor which has 120 micro wire connections to it so its un-repairable. Bought a new one but the reproduction of any recordings when we played them back on the TV  were not wonderful. So a few questions of the appropriate experts and it turns out the TV is not suitably matched to the DVD recorder and thus we had to buy a new TV!!  The TV and DVD were 8 years old so that had done well.

when we had sorted all this out the battery went on the wife's car!

So all in all 2014 has started off quite expensively but at least we have had the three things go wrong so that its hopefully it!!!

P

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 05:41:16 AM »
I need to replace all of the water pipes in my house. This will be the 2nd house in 10 years that needed the same repair.

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 09:17:59 AM »
I need to replace all of the water pipes in my house. This will be the 2nd house in 10 years that needed the same repair.

I feel for you, Rob. I had a pipe burst in a wall when the power went out for five hours when it was -40C. That wouldn't have been so bad if the resultant demolition hadn't revealed that my entire foundation is, well, compromised. That was awesome.

Lindsay

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 05:29:25 PM »
So far this year I've had the engine sensor go on my car, the head gasket go on my wife's car and then this weekend the manhole in the drive block up. Trying to unblock that in the hail was not the most fun I've ever had. >:(

Called the experts in the end.

Hopefully we're done for a while.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 12:05:17 AM »
I had an interesting week.  Two snow/ice storms in Southern PA, off work two days, Monday and Wednesday (extra modeling time when I wasn't shoveling the driveway or rectifying storm damage! :) ).  The snow was wet and heavy on Monday and the temps plunged that night, went back up the next day to just around freezing, followed Wednesday morning by freezing rain.  The trees couldn't take it, and I had a 50-foot pine uproot and fall, blocking the street in front of my house at 7:30 a.m.  Fortunately, there was no personal injury or property damage.  We reported it to the Township, but nobody came out (I think they were a might busy right about then) so my neighbor brought out his gas chainsaw at 9:00 and we had the road cleared in about 10 minutes!  The power went out shortly after, and we had no electricity or heat until about 4:00 p.m.--we were lucky, as lots of others did not get their power back for a couple of days.  Anyway, the temp rose in the afternoon and the treated roads were clear by then, so SWMBO and I went out for coffee.  Whilst at the local B&N (right next to the highway entrance heading to my LHS) I phoned the LHS and they were not only open, but confirmed that the had the Evergreen strip styrene in stock that I needed for my new Camel struts!  ;D  As soon as our coffee was finished, we were off to the shop and the necessary supplies were swiftly procured.  The electricty was back on by the time we got home at 4:30, and I had new struts crafted before dinner! 

It was very enjoyable turning an otherwise negative into a big positive.  Had I been working on Wednesday, I would not have had time to get out to the LHS.  :)  Even the storms could not stop the Camel project!  ;)  Now, if it would only warm up a bit--I've got to get out on the bicylce, as I have a 76-mile Spring Classic ride in New Jersey on March 22nd.  Yikes!  Not much time left to get ready.  :D

Cheers,

Bob     

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 12:12:27 AM »
Oh, I forgot to mention . . . the garage door froze to the concrete floor on Thursday morning, and when I pushed the button to open the door to go to work, the lift bracket pulled out of the door, which obviously went no where.  No chance of repair by me, as the metal was all torn up by the stripping screws, most of which had gone flying, something akin to springing model parts and the carpet monster.  ;)  My wife's car was trapped inside, and I couldn't get all of the ice away from door base, and therefore could not lift the door manually.  My car was fortunately out in the driveway, so my wife dropped me at work (10 minutes away) and took my car to her job (45 minutes away).  The door company came out Friday morning and fixed the whole mess.  :)

Like I said, it was an interesting week.  ;D

Cheers,

Bob

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 12:20:48 AM »
Bob,
    You may not have to worry about Your Spring Classic ride the way the weather is going all over this Continent! :( A single ski on the front wheel might help??
    We had a week of above freezing weather, now it's minus 30-35 Degrees C every night and I could skate all the way to Ernie's and Lindsay's places next Province over as our world is an endless sheet of ice; Oh yes, and the warm spell included winds over 110 kmh which knocked about a dozen big trees down onto our Country road.
    Can't wait for Spring, if it ever arrives! ::)
Stay Warm, and away from under the trees!
Cheers,
Lance