Author Topic: Temperature controlled soldering unit  (Read 837 times)

Offline Russell

Temperature controlled soldering unit
« on: June 13, 2015, 06:57:32 AM »
I'm looking for a temperature controlled soldering iron/unit for modelling purposes.

There's various models on the market with a wide range of prices.

Some vendors websites have a review section but typically any assortment of online reviews have some owners who think the item is the best ever made, some think it's the worst made & at least one owner gives a 1 star rating due to them ordering the wrong colour - all for the same item  :o

Any advice regarding temperature controlled irons would be welcome.

Regards
Russell

Offline Jim

Re: Temperature controlled soldering unit
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 08:00:58 AM »
Pretty hard to go wrong with a Weller brand solder station, and they only come in one colour... :)
Woof!

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 08:34:19 AM »
A lot depends upon personal preference and technique, Russell.  It's a bit like airbrushes- what one person loves, someone else may hate.  It also depends upon what you want to do with it.  Electronics, such as RC boards?  Soldering PE parts and similar hobby uses?  Soldering white metal figures?  So you'll need to know what your temperature requirements are.  Finding 70°C or 100°C stations (ie for "cold" soldering white metal, etc) that will also go up to 450°C (silver solders for jewellery, brass loco' bodies, etc) is near impossible and very bloody expensive. 

In my experience (former electronics technician) you could trust nearly anything by Hakko and Weller, but they're relatively expensive.  They're also over-kill if you want to solder PE parts, a 40W "handyman iron" with a 4mm chisel tip from your local hardware will do the job nicely.  If it's for white metal things become complicated and dangerous.  It's not just about melting the figure if the temperature is too high, low melt solders are extremely toxic if used wrongly.

Cheers.

Dal.

PS  Jim got in first.

Offline Russell

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 06:37:30 PM »
Thanks Jim & Dal.

The specific modelling use is photo etch parts & small brass tube/wire of the diameters we'd use here for WW1 aircraft.

I thought an electric one with temperature control to allow different melting point solder to be used could be a useful start although as you suggest a simple standard one with suitable tips may be the way to go initially.

Regards
Russell

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 08:49:53 PM »
As you know Russell, I do a lot of scratch builds and I use a lot of small diameter brass tube, so I needed a soldering iron that would suit my needs. I spoke to the leading model train man in Australia, he deals in and makes brass locomotives and carriages, this is the unit he recommended to me.

Click pictures for a larger image

The box top gives all the technical information on this soldering station, the temp range is quite good. I have found it to be very suitable for my requirements and with the use of low temp solder with silver plus a heat sensitive flux it does a great job for me. The unit cost me $85 Australia.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dal Gavan

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 10:37:55 PM »
Russell, glad to be of help.

Des, that's a very nice station.  Especially for $85! 

Dal.