Author Topic: 1/32nd WNW DH.9  (Read 5408 times)

Offline mgunns

1/32nd WNW DH.9
« on: September 27, 2017, 12:54:51 PM »
Surely no one could ever say that the DH.9 is a great looking airplane, it still is an interesting subject.  My wife got me this for Christmas when it first came out and I finally got around to building it.  The build is pretty straightforward with no pitfalls.  However, anyone doing this build or the NINAK post war version would be wise to pin the rudder controls D7 and P11 to the floor board as it is really in the way when handling the fuselage and can easily come separated from the floorboard.  Ask me how I know this.

Other than that, no major problems.
I did add some lines to the front of the engine as it is right out there and the photo's show two lines, so I added them using brass wire.

I used AK interactive Acrylic wash to dirty the engine up a bit.
WNW offers two internal bomb bay configurations, 12 or 6, I chose the 6 variant, painting the bombs mustard yellow, using wood tones for the dividers and interior of the "bomb bay" and Testors non buffing Gun Metal for the front of the bombs.  As it is on the underside, not much visibility but I think it is a neat addition to show your friends when looking at the underside.

Critical to the assembly is to ensure that the interior structure is square and tight.  If not, problems arise in assembling the fuselage.  Again, ask me how I know this.

I chose the markings of DH.9 B7620 of J.A. Gray & J.J. Comerford, A Flight, 211 Sqn, June 1918 as it is interesting and has an interesting story behind it.  I opted to paint the aft end of the fuselage gloss black and then applied the decals.  The white is totally opaque with no black bleed through.  I also opted to paint the rudder vice using the WNW Provided decal.
For rigging I used Chameleon two pound test for the lower fuselage to upper wing for strength and Model Kasten (MK) .06 stretch ine for the rest of the rigging.  I would rig the bay and then slide the struts in.  Using the chameleon line, I would get it in place and once the struts were in, tighten it up.  I used Bob's Buckles eyelets and tubes for all rigging attachments.   Here you can see the process in progress where I would rig, once the bay was rigged I would then insert the appropriate struts.

Makes the rigging process a lot easier, and the two strands of chameleon line offer strength.. 
The Carburetor intakes are a pain to try to line up, so I just cut the end off a bit and using Testors Canopy Glue cemented them in place.  For the plug wires on the engine I used the MK stretch line.  None of the photo's in the instruction booklet show the aircraft with the bomb sight on the starboard side, but I thought it was neat looking and put it on, after all it was used in the bomber role and seeing I added bombs, I thought it would add to the airplane.

For the bungee chords on the scarf ring I used White Fine EZ Line.

The eyes on the cowling seemed to mock me as I progressed and seemed to laugh at a blunder I would make.

For the underside "shading"  I first painted the wing the CDL, masked off the rib detail and then painted the whole thing black.  Once set, I removed the tape and carefully repainted the CDL color until I achieved the desired results.

Using Tamiya Smoke diluted with Testors Dull Coat I sprayed in between the ribs to get a "weathered" look.

I think it's a neat looking airplane and makes a unique model
So there you have it folks.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 01:03:02 PM by mgunns »
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Re: 1/32nd WNW DH.9
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 04:53:48 PM »
My oh my.
You have made the DH.9 look like a beauty Queen and that takes a miracle!

Extremely well done, Mark.  :) ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline boggie

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »
Now that is a great looking DH9 Mark!

Until now I thought of it as an ugly little beast, but not now.  8)

Excellent all round.  :)

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 07:51:09 PM »
Great. I love this bird! Looks really impressive when completed, with all those rigging and fine detail all around. And yours is truly finely done, Mark.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Online Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »
What a beauty Mark, congratulations and thanks for posting your technique on rigging.

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 08:53:11 PM »
Great build of this great plane, it looks amazing and will be a nice addition for your collection.
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:41:38 PM »
Mark, I always thought this is a beautiful plane - and your build reassured me! Love it!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 11:53:25 PM »
Mark,
    A terrific job, great detail, paint, and finish and of course the unique rigging procedure as I said off-line is a "keeper". Nice work taking this from ugly duckling to swan!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline mgunns

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 11:55:37 PM »
Thanks everyone for scoping out the model and your kind words.  It does kind of grow on a person and to see the model completed rather than a side view does add interest to the airplane.  It certainly grew on me and I will probably do another one.
Mark

Online RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 12:05:54 AM »
Magnificent build Mark! I love the rigging method you used. Like others have said you have made an ungainly looking bird look Gorgeous!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 02:21:28 AM »
Gotta agree with all the above, very nice !!  great scheme !

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline aircare84

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 05:54:24 AM »
Mark,
Excellent build! Thanks for sharing.
I like your approach to the lower wings rib shading.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 01:16:44 PM »
@ Rick:  Thanks Rick, your compliments and comments always appreciated.

@ drI Ace:  Thanks Ed, thanks for scoping out the build and your compliments, duly appreciated.

@ aircare84:  Thanks for scoping out the build and your interest in the underwing rib shading.  A very simple procedure and highly affective. Learned it from an Englishman on another forum, named Keith.  Lots of great modelers on this forum to learn from.
Mark

Offline Russell

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 03:47:07 PM »
It may or may not be a great looking real aircraft but it's certainly a great looking build.

Every detail is so well done & the overall effect is even greater than the sum of the parts.

Regards
Russell

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2017, 02:14:21 AM »
She's absolutely stunning, Mark, and will look spectacular next to your USMC Ninak!  Could you possibly show us a photo of both of them together?  That would be a treat!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence