Author Topic: 1/48 Sopwith Schneider (Special Hobby)  (Read 5846 times)

Online RAGIII

Re: 1/48 Sopwith Schneider (Special Hobby)
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2017, 02:51:21 AM »
It Looks as though you are making good progress on your floats and fuselage. Too bad about the :Scale: engine fit, or rather lack there of! Your decision to remove a portion of the cylinders is probably the best as widening the fuselage would most likely cause wing and strut alignment difficulties later.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Jim

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »
Progress has been slow, but I managed to brush paint the interior tonight with Tamiya flat aluminium and deck tan. The paint was very thick and needed a lot of thinner just to drip off the brush, though is at least 5 years old and had been pretty much used up.

I also built the cockpit floor from card stock. I will try painting this with acrylic so I don't have to go through the palaver of using oils to make the plastic look like wood since this will be difficult to see and I fear the oils will only gunk up in the slits anyway:

I also built a control column using plans from Frank's Lebed VII build post.  I had a couple of attempts at this as I wasn't happy with my soldering. At first I had trouble getting the solder to stick to the brass rod, even though I used plenty of flux. When it finally did stick, I used too much and it turned into a big glob, which I had to wick off and sand:

While I finally got the control column to something I was OK with, I will not scratch build the foot pedals as:
1) I don't think this will be seen once I close up the cockpit; and
2) It will do my head in.

Once I paint the control column I will mount a wheel I found in the WNW Pup kit (i.e. part B9) on it rather than build one from scratch, which I think looks passable for a 1/48 control wheel,.
Woof!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2017, 11:08:43 PM »
I had a couple of attempts at this as I wasn't happy with my soldering. At first I had trouble getting the solder to stick to the brass rod, even though I used plenty of flux. When it finally did stick, I used too much and it turned into a big glob, which I had to wick off and sand:

Thank you for sharing this. Your results are excellent, I think it is important to share failures along the way to encourage others to have a go. Sometimes things don't go right - that's normal

I'm going to go and look for a cork backed cup mat - that's a brilliant idea

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline Jim

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2017, 11:28:46 PM »

I'm going to go and look for a cork backed cup mat - that's a brilliant idea

Richard

Thanks Richard. It was more out of necessity than brilliance that I "borrowed" the cup mat/coaster (I forgot to pick up a cork tile after just having visited a hardware store, doh!). I just hope the missus doesn't notice it missing from the table set!  :)
Woof!

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2017, 11:33:03 PM »
I just found two I can get away with. One is an advertising giveaway with a soft backing, the other is a lone coaster with a hard back with no other members of it's set left. I'm acquiring both of them

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Online RAGIII

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 05:01:20 AM »
Your final results on the control column are outstanding to my eye!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 05:33:37 AM »
Excellent result with the control column Jim.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com