Author Topic: Fokker Build D-VII Early Version Info Needed  (Read 2881 times)

Offline skeeterbuck

Fokker Build D-VII Early Version Info Needed
« on: September 19, 2017, 02:13:08 AM »
Building an early version of the Fokker D-VII using the Eduard kit and have 2 questions.

The streaked factory fuselage painting was on CDL. Would the streaking show inside the cockpit?

The low side exhaust which exits through the starboard engine panel in some pics looks to be 2 separate tubes which are side by side and secured with a strap around the end. This is the way Eduard has molded the 2 exhaust pipes albeit without the actual strap. (I also noticed that WNW also does it this way)

In some pics, the pipe appears to be to only have one larger tube at the end of the exhaust manifold where it exits the side panel.

Are there 2 version of this early Fokker style manifold?

Thanks!
Chuck

Offline RAGIII

Re: Fokker Build D-VII Early Version Info Needed
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 12:03:39 AM »
For question number 1 the answer is no, the streaking was applied after clear dope IIRC. No see through like printed lozenge. As for question #2, I will have to research. I know Early builds by other Manufacturers had variances in the exhaust but not sure if Fokker Built had variations.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 02:05:51 AM »
Thanks Rick for your reply.

The exhaust question really has me stumped.  :-\

Chuck

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:42:16 AM »
I was able to locate several photos that hopefully will help explain my question about the different style exhaust manifold tubes.

On the WNW website, the archive photos for their Fokker D-VII (Fok) Early, kit No. 32067 shows in their 4th photo what looks to me as a single larger pipe opening for the exhaust. In the 3rd photo it shows a clearer pic with the 2 exhaust tubes side by side.

What I'm hoping to discern is if the exhaust pipe shown in the 4th photo is in fact the same as the one in the 3rd photo and just looks different because of the angle at which the photo was taken or if they are in fact two different styles of exhaust pipes.

Here's a link to the WNW site. Thanks for your time and opinions!
Chuck

http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/product?productid=3161

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 03:48:45 AM »
I went for the double three-into-one manifolds when I built my Battleaxe D.VII

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 06:31:25 AM »
Chuck,

"or if they are in fact two different styles of exhaust pipes."

I did a short search in The Albatros Publications Fokker Anthology Volume 1 and also the original Data File # 9, I may have a partial answer for you on the exhaust question.
    Page 20 of the latter has a clear close up photo of the first albatross built Early D.VII 527/18 WN 5148 with a single exhaust pipe opening for the dual exhaust pipes. The former reference states that the 300 Fokker built Early D.VII's of the first production batch 227 - 526/18 had the "Dual Exhaust, center of cowling". These in any photos in either book have the double openings on their exhaust pipes. I seems that there were obviously these two different styles of manifolds with the single one being on the Albatros built machines. I guess which manifold to do would be related to the Serial or Werke number of your subject.
   Hope this is of some help.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 08:54:21 AM »
Chuck,

"or if they are in fact two different styles of exhaust pipes."

I did a short search in The Albatros Publications Fokker Anthology Volume 1 and also the original Data File # 9, I may have a partial answer for you on the exhaust question.
    Page 20 of the latter has a clear close up photo of the first albatross built Early D.VII 527/18 WN 5148 with a single exhaust pipe opening for the dual exhaust pipes. The former reference states that the 300 Fokker built Early D.VII's of the first production batch 227 - 526/18 had the "Dual Exhaust, center of cowling". These in any photos in either book have the double openings on their exhaust pipes. I seems that there were obviously these two different styles of manifolds with the single one being on the Albatros built machines. I guess which manifold to do would be related to the Serial or Werke number of your subject.
   Hope this is of some help.

That's what I was thinking too Lance, however if you notice in the two photos I reference to, both have the factory streaked fuselage paint which indicates that they are both early built D-VII's from Fokker.
 Albatros and OAW built machines only had lozenge covered fuselages from the factory.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 11:07:06 PM »
   According to the Anthology the first production batch of 300 airframes  built at Fokker were 227 to 526/18. If you have a copy check out photo 32 on page 26 of 402/18 and the photo bottom page 36 of 507/18. Both have fuselage lozenge fabric so apparently there were some exceptions to the normally streaked fuselage finish. Both of the photos show very clearly the two port exhaust pipe. Like the true colour of PC.10 I believe there are no absolutes!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline RLWP

• Bodger
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2017, 12:30:28 AM »
   According to the Anthology the first production batch of 300 airframes  built at Fokker were 227 to 526/18. If you have a copy check out photo 32 on page 26 of 402/18 and the photo bottom page 36 of 507/18. Both have fuselage lozenge fabric so apparently there were some exceptions to the normally streaked fuselage finish. Both of the photos show very clearly the two port exhaust pipe. Like the true colour of PC.10 I believe there are no absolutes!
Cheers,
Lance

Like gun sights I can imagine pilots acquiring 'performance' items and getting them fitted to their planes. I like that double outlet system, it has the air of 'boy-racer' about it

Richard
Hendon for flying - the fastest way to the ground!

Offline skeeterbuck

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 08:30:33 PM »
Cheers,
Lance

Yes Lance, I agree that some of the early build D-VII's by Fokker had lozenge fabric on the fuselage. When I was referring to the two photo on the WNW site, they both had the streaked fuselage finish. That finish was only used by Fokker. Albatros and OAW never used the streaked finish. One good thing when trying to discern the parentage of a particular D-VII aircraft, if it has a streaked finish even if you can't read the serial and /or work number you know for certain that it's Fokker build. Thanks for your help and response.

Chuck

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 10:59:43 PM »
Chuck,

"Albatros and OAW never used the streaked finish. One good thing when trying to discern the parentage of a particular D-VII aircraft, if it has a streaked finish even if you can't read the serial and /or work number you know for certain that it's Fokker build."   

Too true; one of my favourite sayings (I have no idea where it comes from!) is "The only thing we're sure of is that we're not sure."
Interesting stuff!
Cheers,
Lance