Author Topic: Sopwith Camel F.1 'Clerget' B6401 - 4 Naval Sqn RNAS - Lloyd Breadner's Markings  (Read 5900 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

The following is my WnW 'Clerget' Camel in Lloyd Breadner's markings that I sourced from the Academy Sopwith Camel F.1 'Centenary' kit. The generic markings are from the WnW kit itself and I masked and painted the rudder and white stripes myself. I replaced the kit supplied seat with the new Barracuda Designs Camel seat and it's a superb resin casting. The rigging and control lines are a combination of Maxima Chameleon 2 lb monofilament and ModelKasten line. The model was painted with Tamiya acrylics with the exception of the cowlings and engine on which I used AK Interactive Xtreme metallizers, and Mr. Metal Model Color laquer for the rigging and control lines. The WnW kit is superb and everything fits perfectly. I made a few gaffs along the way, entirely of my own making, but as each of these projects is a learning experience, I'm looking forward to improving my craft on the next 'Canadian' Camel. Barker, Brown, or Collishaw? Hmmm . . . I could be busy with Camels for the foreseeable future.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline dr 1 ace

Nicely done !  really a Colorful scheme !!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Trackpad

Lovely work, Chris. You've set the bar almost impossibly high for me, but following your build thread and gathering a few four leaf clovers might put me only a few light years behind you. A first rate, super, job!  8)
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Pete Wenman

• Pete Wenman Aviation Art

Very nice indeed

P

Offline Juan

• All gave some, some gave all.
Nicely done Chris, love how she came out and the markings.  Congratulations, looking forward to your other Canadian Camels.

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Magnificent Chris! Great finish, decal work, and detail, and you've absolutely "murdered" that prop wood work, it looks like the real thing. All the foregoing with a superb interior and that perfect rendition of the dreaded cabane "acorn" make this one a true winner, not bad for a Guy who spends most of his bench time on tracked behemoths! ;) ;) Congratulations, it's a spectacular model!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
An absolutely superb model Chris, everything about this model is outstanding, the paint, decals, rigging and all the fine details have been expertly applied, this is a true masterpiece, the propeller is a real standout.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
Absolutely breathtaking work Chris!

A world class model and one you can be justly proud of.

Your detail and finish is perfect, the wood effect is terrific.

Make sure you send your photos to Wingnuts to upload on their customer models section of the website.

Thanks for sharing with us.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline mgunns

This turned out exceptional Chris.  You certainly re-entered the world of WNW and 1/32nd WWI modeling with a champion here.  As has been mentioned, hard to come up with anything original other than truly outstanding.  The prop is a definite eye catcher as it looks like real wood, the decals make the model a real standout and highlight your modeling skills.  Outstanding Chris and a hearty OOORAAH.
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
She's truly magnificent, Chris!  This is my favorite of all Naval Camel schemes and you've done a spectacular job with it.  I'm hoping Rowan will include this one in one of his upcoming Camel sheets.  I've got 4 WNW Camels in my stash and I know the moment I start one, like you, I won't be able to stop.  This one is inspirational.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Manni

• Der Militärmodellbauer
Beautiful, clean build. The scheme is a stunner, too.
Only thing to improove is the silvering of the decals on the topwing.
Bye,
Manni
"Ich hab' da mal was vorbereitet.": Jean Pütz
"Warum noch mehr Bausätze?!?": meine Frau

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
Man alive!
A beautiful build, Chris.
You guys are killing me....need.......to..........model...............MORE!

I'm planing on building Black Maria. Seeing your build has given me all the inspiration I need  ;)

von GetOffmyBackside&build

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Chris Johnson

Thanks to all of you who have posted comments. It means a lot to me to know builders of the calibre on display here think the model looks good. Frankly, I missed seeing the silvering on the white circular decals on the top wing so I'll have to add that to the list of warts. I'll have to see if I can address that issue, but I think it may be too late. Oh well, there's always room for improvement!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Chris Johnson

She's truly magnificent, Chris!  This is my favorite of all Naval Camel schemes and you've done a spectacular job with it.  I'm hoping Rowan will include this one in one of his upcoming Camel sheets.  I've got 4 WNW Camels in my stash and I know the moment I start one, like you, I won't be able to stop.  This one is inspirational.
Cheers,
Bud

It would be great if Rowan was to do this scheme as the Academy decals are slightly over sized. That in itself is a good thing as all we need to do is trim them but the donor kit is pretty scarce these days. The only thing to be careful with Bud are the control horns which don't give us much room for drilling as they're very delicate, but we're all used to that. Aside from that, it'll be a walk in the park for a modeller like you.

Cheers,

Chris

Offline Chris Johnson

An absolutely superb model Chris, everything about this model is outstanding, the paint, decals, rigging and all the fine details have been expertly applied, this is a true masterpiece, the propeller is a real standout.

Des.

You're too kind Des. Your Breadner Camel build sets the standard and all I tried to do was approach it.

Cheers,

Chris